Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining your satellite dish

Options
  • 01-04-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a satellite dish arrangement like this in my MH:

2z56owg.jpg

Its a manual one where I have to raise the dish, and adjust it by hand. I grab the pole and turn it for direction (azimuth) and there's a small handle I turn to adjust the tilt (altitude) of the dish.
    I've noticed in the last while that there's alot of resistance in the adjustments, and I'm afraid of damaging something. I'm tempted to just go and WD40 the moving parts in the tilting mechanism but I'm worried that this mightn't be a wise thing to do - I don't want it too loose, in case the the dish won't stay in place. The manual says its a "maintenance free" system.
    What do any of you guys do to maintain your dish mechanism?

Comments

Haven't a clue about the actual mechanism but I don't advise WD40...for anything. It's just a penetrating oil (and not a very good one). It strips grease and leaves surfaces dry and exposed after a few days. People using it on bicycle chains are actually accelerating their demise. That's what teflon spray is for.
    WD40 is just for cracking rusty bolts and washing out oil pans.

50% ATF fluid and 50% acetone is one of the best penetrating mixes you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    WD40 was designed as a water displacer hence the initials,they had to try 40 different formulae to get it right.
    It is good at preventing rust and protecting tools in damp atmospheres As a lubricant it is a total no no.
    Diesel makes a good freeing oil.
    Yours zambo

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Thanks for the heads-up on the WD40, just as well I didn't use it - bought a can of this stuff in Halfords, will give it a shot....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_219101_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If you can disassemble or loosen the joints then I'd try a dry lubricant as it
    doesn't migrate, oil and grease holds dirt and fluff and makes it into a lovely sticky paste.
    Servisol 200 is probably in maplin, decent bike shops or halfords will have a bike version too.

Advertisement