Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Site

Options
  • 14-11-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi,

i have been thinking of starting a website to promote tourism and business in my area. My plan was to develop the site and try to increase traffic to a good level before looking for companies/groups to advertise in order to generate income. The main goal is to promote my area but i would like to generate some income. I'm not looking to leave my job but it would be great if it could bring in some cash.

i'm sure this has been done a thousand times already but i am wondering do people think this is feesable? The reason i want it up and running before i look for advertisers is that if i can't generate good traffic i don't want to waste thier money. Also would local businesses benefit from on-line advertising or are they best to stick with local papers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Advertising only works on sites that have really good content or "social" sites that people visit and interact with regularly, and even then it only works to a certain level.

Given that budgets are extremely tight these days, it'd be tough to convince people that your site was worth advertising on, particularly without a proven track record.

Not saying that it's not a runner - just that it's not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

i was thinking that and due to the fact the budgets are tight the last thing i want to do is waste peoples money. As i say i'd like the site to promote my area and draw in some business. The site would be updated daily with local events, news and information. My hope is that i can get others involved in the content to make sure it is up to date and varied. I really want to promote my area and where a few extra euros would be nice its not the driving factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'd consider giving a directory list of companies to put on the site for free of charge. After all you are promoting business and tourism in your area, and I don't believe the intention of your site would be to make profit?

Anyways, if you did charge, as above I don't think you'd have enough visitors to make it worth while for companies to advertise. It's very difficult to get enough relevant traffic to the website for a company (especially small businesses) to benefit from advertising on such a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

i would be hoping to get 10,000 hits per month but it might be lower in the winter. I was thinking of adding a business listing for free and if anyone wanted a more prominent listing to charge a minimal yearly fee. I would also like to post events and festivals for free or in exchange for tickets which could be raffled to visitors.

It would be nice to make a small amount of money but the main aim as I said is to promote my area and help locals and local businesses. I don't expect to be the cause of a huge upsurge in business but I have often talked about supporting your local area and this would be my small way in doing this.

Advertisement