Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog Standard Website

Options
  • 28-10-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hey all

i registered our companys domain name ( www.?????.ie )

1. who is the best for web hosting ????

2. is that all i need ( domain name ) + ( Web Host ) + Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 to make a site or am i missing something

its just gonna be pictures of jobs we did with descriptions of them and what machines we use etc , no selling , nothing flash , im gonna atempt this on my own

Comments

I'd suggest putting the money you would spend on dreamweaver towards getting somebody to install a CMS like WordPress or Joomla along with a premium template. It'll look better and be easier to maintain than something done as an amateur experiment (no offence intended). Once you have the foundation set up, you can pad it out with content and you can add new functionality via plugins and widgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I'd suggest putting the money you would spend on dreamweaver towards getting somebody to install a CMS like WordPress or Joomla along with a premium template. It'll look better and be easier to maintain than something done as an amateur experiment (no offence intended). Once you have the foundation set up, you can pad it out with content and you can add new functionality via plugins and widgets.

i appreciate the comment mate , but that wasn't thequestion :D

my boss is a tight arse , wants me to build it , considering im on a 3 day week and do feck all on the 3 days , i could be doing some good for the business ( thats his way of thinking ) i have adobe dreamweaver on my laptop so thats why i wanna use it , he won't spend a penny on software as to be honest we dont have it , gone from 60 employees to 4 , so he wants me to advertise jobs we did and what were doing and what we can do etc for as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Use Google Sites - simple and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

i appreciate the comment mate , but that wasn't thequestion :D

my boss is a tight arse , wants me to build it , considering im on a 3 day week and do feck all on the 3 days , i could be doing some good for the business ( thats his way of thinking ) i have adobe dreamweaver on my laptop so thats why i wanna use it , he won't spend a penny on software as to be honest we dont have it , gone from 60 employees to 4 , so he wants me to advertise jobs we did and what were doing and what we can do etc for as little as possible.

I agree with SBS. Unless you're some sort of prodigy it's unlikely you'll be able to come close to the quality of any of the premium Wordpress themes available for $30, or thereabouts.

With built-in SEO and the thousands of free plugins available you'lll be getting a content management system, with functionality that normally would cost thousands of Euros on a bespoke system, for next to nothing.

Your boss might be a tight-arse but I doubt he's an idiot, tell him he's got the choice of either a professional looking CMS powered site for less than €50, or an amateur designed brochure site, and let him decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I assume you realise that Dreamweaver isn't a magic website builder. At a minimum you should be asking yourself how your HTML, CSS and photoshop skills are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Eircom sucks, they usually close threads about "best hosting provider" etc

Before they lock it, I'll give you what I think is the best advice for someone wanting to make a small website.

Install Wordpress, pick a nice theme. Go with that.

Best of luck.

Advertisement