Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money and Land

• 28-11-2015 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

So is the dating scene really all about the money, the bit of land, permanent job, car, assets etc... etc...

What happened to the good old fashioned craic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Dughorm wrote: »
    So is the dating scene really all about the money, the bit of land, permanent job, car, assets etc... etc...

Money and land have been part of the dating scene for as far back as you want to go bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

Depends on whether it's road frontage or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm out in Vegas, and no matter how many women I tell that I have two years worth of turf in the shed and at least four good sites I haven't got one back to the room yet.

So, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

cantdecide wrote: »
    First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the woman. Then you lose half in the divorce.

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm out in Vegas, and no matter how many women I tell that I have two years worth of turf in the shed and at least four good sites I haven't got one back to the room yet.

So, no.

You needed to a bag of turf with you ,sort of as a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So, no.

You might have to make a trip out in the Nevada desert to the bunny ranch if things don't improve. :pac:

You might have to make a trip out in the Nevada desert to the bunny ranch if things don't improve. :pac:

Na, I have enough of them digging up the lawn at home :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Dont be so shallow op.

Theres more to love than land and cars.
    Genetic fitness, prong size and probable future income are also part of the deep loving relationship between an incubation chamber and a spawn distributor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Craic doesn't pay the bills. Unless you deal in a specific kind of craic.

• Advertisement

Craic doesn't pay the bills. Unless you deal in a specific kind of craic.

I don't think stand up comedians get paid very much. What about comedy writers though. I bet they'd earn a bit. Probably a hard gig to get though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Yes.

I'm looking for a man with a few acres of well drained land for the horses. Road frontage desirable but not necessary.

;)

Valentina wrote: »
    Yes.

I'm looking for a man with a few acres of well drained land for the horses. Road frontage desirable but not necessary.

;)

PM'd

Wait, you do have room for a pony at the moment right?

Anyone who tells you women are only interested in money is romantically unsuccessful, and needs something other than their abhorrent personality to blame.

Valentina wrote: »
    Yes.

;)

What about a plentiful supply of turf?! :D

Candie wrote: »
    Anyone who tells you women are only interested in money is romantically unsuccessful, and needs something other than their abhorrent personality to blame.

Ah now. Let's be fair, they could be ugly too.

Ah now. Let's be fair, they could be ugly too.

Ugly on the inside is way harder to get past than ugly on the outside. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

Is that a larry flynt quote ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

PM'd

Wait, you do have room for a pony at the moment right?

If I had room for a pony I wouldn't be looking for a man with land! :p

What about a plentiful supply of turf?! :D

LOVE the smell of a turf fire!

Is that a larry flynt quote ?

It's a Candie quote. :)

• Advertisement

Not from what I have heard any way. Five of my mates are currently on the dating scene. 3 Guys 2 girls (yes before you asked I HAVE tried fixing them up with each other - they have been friends too long and feel it would be too weird).

And when they come out of blind dates - on line dates - or first meet up dates after giving their number to someone in a bar - the LAST thing they were lamenting about was feeling like they did not have enough money land jobs or cars :)

What ALL of them without fail felt coming out of the dating scene each time was having nothing to talk about. Either because they seriously had nothing to talk about themselves - or the other person didnt - or they did but both of them were so wound up (probably worrying about things like money and assets and cars and jobs) that they could not get the talk out.

So my impression - based purely on a handful of anecdotes clearly so take it with a bottle of salt - is that the dating scene is all about communication - and an ability to establish it early and openly and in a fun way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

What ALL of them without fail felt coming out of the dating scene each time was having nothing to talk about.

That sure beats getting audited on a date! Green cert is a must for some people apparently :pac:

More about the fun less about the funds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Awfully sorry old stick, seem to have forgotten the old milk-quota. Must've left it in the Jaaaaag! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Money and land won't keep you warm on a cold Winters night......just sayin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Money and land won't keep you warm on a cold Winters night......just sayin......

It will keep you warmer than a woman and no fire.:confused:

What?? A ton of coal and a hundred acres, and blessed silence? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

So, no.

I would pay good money to see a "The Backwards Man goes to Vegas" film

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

money for bills land for freedom from people and a colourful past is an ideal set up where 2 people can be great together loads to do and to talk about .. the dating scene today is bizarre you get this on dating sites....
    "hiya"
    How was your day?
    How are you finding the site?
    all these banal questions and photo holding a big dirty pint.......... thats the dating scene!!!

what woman would be arsed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

money for bills land for freedom from people and a colourful past is an ideal set up where 2 people can be great together loads to do and to talk about .. the dating scene today is bizarre you get this on dating sites....
    "hiya"
    How was your day?
    How are you finding the site?
    all these banal questions and photo holding a big dirty pint.......... thats the dating scene!!!

what woman would be arsed?

And the women on those sites are all Oscar Wildes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So, no.

Dafuq are you doing posting on here? Holidays. Immediately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

I was shocked recently to hear a friend's story about his wive's female friends: in their mid/late twenties the narrative was mainly about potential partners' money and job/title. I just can't fathom how potential (male) partners could be viewed by women in such a reductive way. Is this purely a female thing? I'm a professor, earn a very large salary, but would never judge a potential partner on the basis of their job. Yet, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that a lot of women may see things slightly differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I have fcuking neither but i have pride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I was shocked recently to hear a friend's story about his wive's female friends: in their mid/late twenties the narrative was mainly about potential partners' money and job/title. I just can't fathom how potential (male) partners could be viewed by women in such a reductive way. Is this purely a female thing? I'm a professor, earn a very large salary, but would never judge a potential partner on the basis of their job. Yet, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that a lot of women may see things slightly differently.

South Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the woman.

And let's not forget the sugar

This will probably be an unpopular opinion on here and I'm speaking in general terms but its what I think is more likely to happen in both genders thinking...

Women are more interested in a potential partners profession/long term salary potential than men are, the ones doing it may not even realise they are doing it, it may subconsciously. If telling friends about a new guy they're dating the most likely first thing they'll ask is what does he do and slightly judge him and your choice of guy on the answer and compare in their heads to they're own partners profession. I think some of this may got to do with having a bit of stability for future children down the line.

Men on the other hand are more shallow about looks than women and care less about a woman's profession and salary. If a guy is telling his friends about a new girl he's seeing they are more likely to ask to see her Facebook page to see what she looks like and judge her and compare her looks wise to their own partner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i never did better than when i was basically homeless, lean well exercised and able to put the hours in.
    oh and lying about being homeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

irish son wrote: »
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion on here and I'm speaking in general terms but its what I think is more likely to happen in both genders thinking...

Women are more interested in a potential partners profession/long term salary potential than men are, the ones doing it may not even realise they are doing it, it may subconsciously. If telling friends about a new guy they're dating the most likely first thing they'll ask is what does he do and slightly judge him and your choice of guy on the answer and compare in their heads to they're own partners profession. I think some of this may got to do with having a bit of stability for future children down the line.

Men on the other hand are more shallow about looks than women and care less about a woman's profession and salary. If a guy is telling his friends about a new girl he's seeing they are more likely to ask to see her Facebook page to see what she looks like and judge her and compare her looks wise to their own partner.

Yes, I certainly think this is the norm. I would be most interested to hear if this is the general conscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

jimgoose wrote: »

I'm living the dream. I'd rather a cold house than a cold bitch!
    Back in the day while training in Dublin we found that occupation was make or break. If we were out of a night and lads started getting brave we were soon put back in our box. If you were asked what you did and you replied apprentice electrician the woman would leave like the Delorean in Back to the Future!
    If you replied in the ESB they'd question more looking to see what line you were in eg accounting engineering etc. When theyd finally discover that you were only a lowly apprentice they'd drop ya like a hot potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I think this is definitely the case. Any of my male friends as you said would generally go on about looks I don't think I've ever heard one start with oh well she works at x doing whatever.

Whereas for some woman (not all) what the guy does seems to be a huge make or break thing. I'd personally hate to think that a girl would be going out with me because of my profession or earning potential. As I personally couldn't care less what she did within reason as I don't think it matters in deciding whether or not you like her. I often wondered would you be better of playing down your job profession to see if the woman was genuinely interested. Hard to know really that's probably not a great thing to do either. Maybe there is some males like this where profession is important but I can't say I know any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Personality not even mentioned once..

Also, how is it more more shallow to care about looks than a person's profession and salary? Surely the opposite it true. Looks and physical attraction are a very important part of choosing a partner I would have thought, along with personality and shared interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I don't think it has ever entered the equation for me. I have always fended for myself financially and always expect to. In fact I had an ex who had a fairly good job in finance and I used to be a little embarrassed getting out of his sports car coz that just was not my way. I grew up in a family where my dad worked his ass off as a builder/restaurant owner/musician and various other jobs and it was always in me not to care what a guy works at or what he earns, just being willing to graft is good enough. Actually now if a guy did nothing it wouldn't really matter coz I will continue to look after myself and my sons and have raised them without any help from their dad to adulthood.

So in answer to your question, no, for me the guy needs to be sweet, make me laugh and be up for adventure, if he could be tall too that is a bonus, but for me the most important thing I look for in a guy is that he is not a total a$$hole.*

*I am enjoying the irony of using dollar signs as "s" considering the topic. :D

Canadel wrote: »
    Personality not even mentioned once..

Also, how is it more more shallow to care about looks than a person's profession and salary? Surely the opposite it true. Looks and physical attraction are a very important part of choosing a partner I would have thought, along with personality and shared interest.

I was just comparing the percentage size of importance of profession and looks for men and women, of course personality and other factors plays a massive part in both as well.

I just meant men are more shallow looks wise as that is how shallow is normally used.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

"Women have been trying to have it all and do it all. The the reason they are now so obsessed with a man of means is because they are realising that a man who can pay the bills, allows them to be at home being a home maker and rearing the children the old fashioned way. Women are fed up working and now some want to revert o the old way therefore this requires a certain amount of scheming.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Leroy Brown

jimgoose wrote: »
    Silence is my best friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

"Women have been trying to have it all and do it all. The the reason they are now so obsessed with a man of means is because they are realising that a man who can pay the bills, allows them to be at home being a home maker and rearing the children the old fashioned way. Women are fed up working and now some want to revert o the old way therefore this requires a certain amount of scheming.
    Huh? Speak for yourself there.

Azalea wrote: »
    Huh? Speak for yourself there.

You may address me as "Colonel" or "Sir". I believe I've earned it. I don't know what the hell kind of unit you're running here.

Sir! Yes, Sir!

Sir! Yes, Sir!

More fcukan like it. On deck at 0600, high-and-tight. That means we finish at farmer's dinner-time, and go on the lash! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

This is my perspective (as a woman), I was brought up by an independent hard-working mother, to be independent myself and to have my own money. I was also told, to be happy, that any potential partner should be the same way. Status, land and how much money someone has, were never emphasised, it was more that there should be mutual respect and acceptance of each other's independence and earning abilities.

I think my mother's advice did me a lot of good as when it came to relationships, I looked at what a man could offer me in terms of personality, looks, his view on things, sense of humour etc. I didn't look for earning capacity in the future, what assets he might have.

When I met my husband, I wouldn't have cared about anything like this at all (we were at different stages in life regarding money and work) as I clicked with him on so many levels, I just knew, for me, he was a keeper. You can't plan for that kind of connection with someone, if it happens to you, you are damned damned lucky and if the person doesn't happen to have a great job or assets, it really shouldn't matter. Yes, you can ignore your heart and let your head make a decision but the heart knows best, it always does :-)

Advertisement