Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you part 8191.1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

having worked in a shop part time for a few months, my annoyance is folks not saying please, thanks, or kiss-me-a*** . A little manners goes a long way, like looking at the person that is serving you.

Also, when kids say to me "can I get x", I reply ...No, you cant get it. I will get it. You dont work here. Do you mean "Can I have x" ... (its a petty little annoyance, but its my petty little annoyance)

Other annoyances in shops, customers who ask "do you know what is I am looking for?"

"How the fcuk would I know until you tell me!"

And bastards on phones while being served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its a high standard of annoyances in this new thread...great start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

While making my porridge this morning, I added in a good spoon of honey as always with the same spoon I'd eat the porridge with.
    However, I got distracted with something else and forgot to mix the spoon in, so my first spoon of porridge was a huge honey blob hidden by a small layer or oats!

It was a bit much when not expecting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

In Tesco earlier with my friend and we were humming and hawing :rolleyes:about a little plastic container of sweets(Pastilles.Jelly Tots and Randoms)for 5e.I bought them even though I wouldnt really eat them but thought theyd keep my son in good form for 5 mins and got charged 13e at the til:eek:.Fuming then as I was sent to queue at CS and said to my friend this will be entertaining as Im calling a manager because Ive been overcharged in there numerous times.
    Didnt even get the satisfaction to complain because 13e is correct ..how the hell can a few fcuking jellies cost that much and why the hell dont they put the right price in front of stuff .
    I wont even start on the parking at the shopping centre earlier,absolutely mental and when people get into their car knowing that youre waiting for the spot and spend 10 minutes "fixing themselves" before driving off I actually want to hurt them badly:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Jaysus, people are really annoyed today.
    You'd swear it was Friday the 13th or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Motorists have been annoying me this week. My cycle home takes 5 or 6 minutes, and it's on edge of the town I live in. Still, on that short journey for the past few days, I can hear a car behind me refusing to overtake even though there's loads of room. I was cycling inside the broken yellow line, a few inches from the kerb, and you could nearly fit two cars on my side of the road, but this car is right up behind me without overtaking! It's not as if I were all over the road. Straight like an arrow, I am!

On another bit of the road just after this, the road surface is terrible. I'm shaking like I'm losing structural integrity entering the planets atmosphere while having an epileptic fit, when a similar thing happens (although this time I don't blame the motorist behind me as much). I do blame the motorist who pulls out onto the road from a housing estate as this is going on, who's probably thinking "There's nobody coming, just a cyclist..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I owed a friend a favour, so last weekend, Mrs E and I took him and his OH to dinner ( I am not keen on her, but that's anothe story ,he does not really drink, so the meal was the best option, anyway, if I bought him a bottle of something, she would drink it!). We get to the restaurant late (her fault) and of course i have to apologise. Anyway, my TA is, after we get seated and handed menus, she (due to the fact she has the guts of a bottle of wine In her before she came out) proceeds to loudly read the menu, like its a fcuken ladybird book, every single item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Everyone has the same ring tone as me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Nobody has the same ring-tone as me. I use Kraftwerk's "The Model" for some reason. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

TA'd that I couldn't find any Cadbury Tiffins in the shop so I had to settle for the vastly inferior Fruit & Nut instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My little one never stops talking, ever. She talks in her sleep. Sometimes it is bloody exhausting. What drives me nuts is when I say it to someone, and they say, oh wouldn't it be worse if she couldn't talk/ was sick. Jesus Christ, I know that, I don't wish that for one second. Can I not just say how I feel without someone saying something that makes me feel that I'm being a right cow about it?:(

jimgoose wrote: »
    Nobody has the same ring-tone as me. I use Kraftwerk's "The Model" for some reason. :pac:

My phone is permanently on silent. If someone calls I may or may not call them back at a later stage.

I'm expecting my 'Misanthropist of the year' award any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

When my boss is on the phone and needs to realise that he doesnt have to SHOUT ON THE PHONE to be heard. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

People who leave 'ha' at the end of a text/whatsapp sentence or message when what they said wasn't even funny.

e.g. "I'm going out tonight ha. what about you?"

I don't understand it..

hogey143 wrote: »
    People who leave 'ha' at the end of a text/whatsapp sentence or message when what they said wasn't even funny.

e.g. "I'm going out tonight ha. what about you?"

I don't understand it..

They're Speed Racer. Ha-Ha!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have a pretty unique one as well and it drives people nuts.

It's the first 13 seconds of this on loop.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I have a pretty unique one as well and it drives people nuts.

It's the first 13 seconds of this on loop...

jimgoose likes this. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

73Cat wrote: »
    My little one never stops talking, ever. She talks in her sleep. Sometimes it is bloody exhausting. What drives me nuts is when I say it to someone, and they say, oh wouldn't it be worse if she couldn't talk/ was sick. Jesus Christ, I know that, I don't wish that for one second. Can I not just say how I feel without someone saying something that makes me feel that I'm being a right cow about it?:(
    I hate that crap. There's people out there who will always say "it could be worse".

"Oh man, it's lashing rain and I got a puncture this morning."

"Could be worse, at least you don't have cancer!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

TA at the amount of people who don't seem to understand the importance of oil. I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of bearings suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. :(

Some weeks ago the oil light flashed at me in my (7yr old) car, 2min later it was dead with a bang, and there was loads of oil in it, but after a engine strip and report to the manufacturer they are supplying all the parts for free as a goodwill gesture, The T.A is I have to pay the labour cost of the rebuild..

And the car I put back on the road to cover the time my one was off passed the nct last week,:D the flippin coil went, ever feel like screaming??:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Said it before and il say it again this smiley on boards :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

selous wrote: »
    Some weeks ago the oil light flashed at me in my (7yr old) car, 2min later it was dead with a bang, and there was loads of oil in it...(

The oil light indicates oil pressure, not level. If the engine cannot build and maintain oil pressure for whatever reason, regardless of how much oil is actually in it, it will go BANG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

2 that have really annoyed me last couple of weeks,

Can't give out about your job anymore (yes I am looking elsewhere) without some eijet saying ''well just be thankful you have a job'' piss off

also when you're booked off work for a few days, your first bit of time off in ages and some **** will always say ''well for some'' :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Motorists have been annoying me this week. My cycle home takes 5 or 6 minutes, and it's on edge of the town I live in. Still, on that short journey for the past few days, I can hear a car behind me refusing to overtake even though there's loads of room. I was cycling inside the broken yellow line, a few inches from the kerb, and you could nearly fit two cars on my side of the road, but this car is right up behind me without overtaking! It's not as if I were all over the road. Straight like an arrow, I am!

You're after reminding me of the chap I saw on a bike this morning, and I was only lucky I did see him because it was still dull, wet weather out this morning and this guy had not so much as a stitch of reflective gear on him nor lights on the bike, nothing! Yet there he was battling into the wind and could fairly handy have been taken out of it by a passing vehicle!

Also annoyed me the way it was just a heavy drizzle this morning, and I was thinking "Oh just piss rain and get it over with ffs!"... Seconds later I was thinking "I didn't actually mean that y'know!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

The oil light indicates oil pressure, not level. If the engine cannot build and maintain oil pressure for whatever reason, regardless of how much oil is actually in it, it will go BANG.

I have learned that the "flashing" is worse than "on".
    Total rebuild, just as well I like that car, and am paying for it's transplant.

major bill wrote: »
    also when you're booked off work for a few days, your first bit of time off in ages and some **** will always say ''well for some'' :mad:

Start work at 8, don't take lunch, leave at 5.15... "On a half day, are we?"

Wouldn't it be worse if you were deaf and couldn't hear them saying that to you :p

smash wrote: »
    Start work at 8, don't take lunch, leave at 5.15... "On a half day, are we?"

Do you work in my company? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When you open an article to see the comments (hopefully some debate or witty reply) and all you f**king see is people's names being tagged in the section...

Do you work in my company? :eek:
    Possibly. Do you have a workers number instead of a name between the hours of 8.00-5.30?

smash wrote: »
    Possibly. Do you have a workers number instead of a name between the hours of 8.00-5.30?

No :o

• Advertisement

Men (non boardsies obviously) who lose the run of themselves around certain women:mad:
    I just went to the school and traffic is at a standstill,anyway here comes Mrs Blond 152white Beemer driver and of course she wants to make a ridiculous turn(one you wouldnt have the gall to do even when theres no one around),what ensued was an embarrassment to watch.Men trying to mount;)footpaths to facilitate the muppet. The fella that I had just let out in front on me (and we are bumper to bumper) then decided to reverse.NOT A HOPE.He wont make that mistake again.
    The funny thing is that if the had taken a better look at her she was old enough to be my mother(in a preserved kinda way) but nah they see what they want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This is extremely trivial.

The position of the chocolate bar stand in shops, garages etc. Hear me out.

Which bar to take home and devour. It's the hardest decision to make obviously. Why do they put the stand right beside the till?

It usually takes me a solid minute to properly decide but when I go past ten seconds I can feel the eyes of the cashier burning holes into me like I'm some sort of sugar starved psycho with commitment issues.

It's worse when you're the only one in the shop. :(

Pac1Man wrote: »
    This is extremely trivial.

The position of the chocolate bar stand in shops, garages etc. Hear me out.

Which bar to take home and devour. It's the hardest decision to make obviously. Why do they put the stand right beside the till?

It usually takes me a solid minute to properly decide but when I go past ten seconds I can feel the eyes of the cashier burning holes into me like I'm some sort of sugar starved psycho with commitment issues.

It's worse when you're the only one in the shop. :(
    At the moment Im having either a bar of Frys or the raisin and nut Yorkie,hope that helps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

Living in another country where people pretend (yes, pretend!) not to understand my word for something when it's not the same as theirs.

Examples -

Queue - they say line-up, I say queue - they get all "I'm sorry, what?" - Come on FFS, queue is a word defined in the dictionary, it's actually way more relevant than line-up.

Holiday - they say vacation, I say holiday - but they get all confused looking when I say, oh I'm on holiday next week. FIGURE it out!!! I know what vacation means, why can't you figure out what holiday means.

I had a late breakfast so I wasn't hungry for lunch. I'm starving now, and have started to attack a box of Heroes, just before I put dinner on. Somebody stop me !

I had a late breakfast so I wasn't hungry for lunch. I'm starving now, and have started to attack a box of Heroes, just before I put dinner on. Somebody stop me !

Ah sure wouldnt it be worse if you couldnt eat them:p Enjoy:)

Ah stop ONW and Colser, nearly wetting myself here !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just bought (amongst other things) a GIANT bar of vanilla chocolate in Aldi.

TA that I don't know where to hide it now, all my hiding places have already been found!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That little bit of plastic/tinfoil that insists on remaining attached to the opening of a tetrapak after I pulled the tab. Grrrrrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Friday 13th and everyone is on fire :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

TA'd at the number on this thread, OCD says it ain't right :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Colser wrote: »
    At the moment Im having either a bar of Frys or the raisin and nut Yorkie,hope that helps:D

I went with a Milky Way and a Mars in the end. A starter and a main course! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I went with a Milky Way and a Mars in the end. A starter and a main course! :D

Reminds me, when my brother and I were teenagers and he asked me if I wanted something from the shop. I said "ye get me a kinder bueno". He paused and looked at me like I was fcuking mental. We had a big fight over it. It turns out that because the bars were behind the counter that he couldn't ask for a Kinder Bueno because he didn't like saying the word "bueno" and it was a "woman's bar". He came back with a Yorkie for me :)

xLisaBx wrote: »
    TA'd at the number on this thread, OCD says it ain't right :o

+1

Mods, can you please change the thread title so the number is in chronological order? That way Lisa and myself are happy and you get to be trivially annoyed that you had to change the thread title on the trivial annoyances thread. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Poochie05

having worked in a shop part time for a few months, my annoyance is folks not saying please, thanks, or kiss-me-a*** . A little manners goes a long way, like looking at the person that is serving you
    And the converse of that is from being a customer in shops since forever, I regularly get no interaction from the person that is serving me! I'm naturally friendly person and having worked in the hospitality sector I'm only too aware of how ignorant people can be so would greet and thank people all the time, but after the initial hello from me until my final 'thank you' I regularly get no words at all from the person serving me. I would make a point of asking how much is that to see have they even notice I'm there!

And then there is the 2 people having a chat behind the till and don't even break off while one of them is serving you...

• Advertisement

Vancity wrote: »
    Living in another country where people pretend (yes, pretend!) not to understand my word for something when it's not the same as theirs.

Examples -

Queue - they say line-up, I say queue - they get all "I'm sorry, what?" - Come on FFS, queue is a word defined in the dictionary, it's actually way more relevant than line-up.

Holiday - they say vacation, I say holiday - but they get all confused looking when I say, oh I'm on holiday next week. FIGURE it out!!! I know what vacation means, why can't you figure out what holiday means.

I used to have this when I lived in Spain and I'd say an English word that they would use (like Rugby for example) and they'd frown and look puzzled when I pronounced it the way it is pronounced, but then I'd pronounce it with the inflection and accent and they'd all suddenly understand and repeat it 'their' way so I could learn how to say it 'properly'!!

I just had 3 chocolate Mikados for my tea :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Vancity wrote: »

Examples -

Them Fekin murricans all the same.

But they are the most hospitable people I have ever come across. Even beat our own.... Ta'd about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

CLOSE THE FÚCKIN DOOR!!!!

1. If the door was closed and you had to open it to come in, take it as given I want it closed when you've come through. Assume I also want it closed when you leave.
    2. Swinging the door back so it's almost closed but still an inch or 2 ajar is not closing the door after you.... In fact, it's worse than leaving it fully open. It's like you've accepted it should be closed, but you just can't be arsed with the tiny bit of effort that would require.
    3. You shouldn't look back surprised when I've walked to the door after you left it open and slammed it behind you.
    4. JUST CLOSE THE FÙCKING DOOR...... Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

When we as a race have put men on the moon and invented driverless cars among other things, I can't believe we still have hoovers and lawnmowers that make as much noise as they do. Very annoying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement