Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cities you'd never return to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Gongoozler wrote: »
    What's wrong with townsville and Sydney?

I had the pleasure of been stranded in Townsville for 2 weeks, the town was completely cut off by a flood.
    There was nothing to do except booze and mix with the locals. I have never come across such inbred people in all my life. Words cannot describe the sub human activities that the natives get up to.
    What is funny now is when I hear people saying they are travelling up the east coast I always recommend that they visit Townsville, I tell them it is paradise on earth, its my way of having a private joke !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

6541 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of been stranded in Townsville for 2 weeks, the town was completely cut off by a flood.
    There was nothing to do except booze and mix with the locals. I have never come across such inbred people in all my life. Word cannot describe the sub human activities that the natives get up to.
    What is funny now is when I hear people saying they are travelling up the east coast I always recommend that they visit Townsville, I tell them it is paradise on earth, its my way of having a private joke !

Stopped our camper van in Townsville on the way down from Cairns to Sydney for one night. In the communal kitchen it just consisted of permanent Aussie residents of the caravan park having heated drunken domestic quarrels with each other while they kids ate dirt. We were only there 8 hours but we happy enough to get the hell outta there, drove through the town on the way out, nothing to see.

Same can be said for Rockhampton.

Ranking of places I have spent a few days in from worst to best.
    Quebec City
    London
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Niagara Falls
    Manchester
    Kingston, Ontario
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool
    Las Vegas
    Montreal
    Lake Arrowhead, California

What was so bad about Quebec City that you rank it so low? Never been to Canada but Quebec City looks beautiful, and I'd love to experience French-speaking Canada.

And is Dublin seriously worse than Middlesbrough? Again I've never been (to 'Boro, I mean) but I've never heard anything good about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Nairobi Mombasa Kenya and dar Es salaam Tanzania and other towns in them countries, backpacked through them in 2001 never again in my life time would I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Buenos Aires - Just didn't live up to my expectations. Probably my least favourite city in Sth. America. A lot of the central city given over to giant 12-lane roads.

I won't defend my adopted home, because it isn't for everyone and to be honest it's one of those place that grows on you rather than bowling you over immediately.

You are wrong about the roads, in that there is 1 (9 de Julio) which joins two motorways together. The vast majority of the city does not have 12 lane roads. Problem of perception there.

That said, it's not for everyone. We exist in a semi permanent state of chaos and it's not the sort of place that is well served by guidebooks unless they are well written and recently researched, which is a rarity.

I do sympathise, but you are wildly exaggerating about 12 lane roads. For people coming here I would always recommend a guide for a few days, head off and see some of the big sights outside of BA then come back to party for a few days, but plan out in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to say I loved my time in Argentina.

Cities I would not return to? Islamabad, Kinshasa both kips for many a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Lisburn, Although technically not a city. It's the most soulless ****hole iv'e ever had the misfortune of visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

Lisburn is a city. Small maybe. But a city nonetheless.

And its always a pointless answer on Pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

In Europe I would say London and Paris are the worst. Rome the best. In the rest of the world Rio de Janeiro is by far the worst city a person can be, bad weather, violent, expensive, full of ugly people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Naples. Filthy, and full of sinister characters.

It's strange somebody would say Naples. It's wonderful, the real Italy, city of the Pizza. With loads of points of interests around like Pompei, Capri, Ischia, Amalfi, Sorrento and Positano. It just not have all the archeological sites of Rome, if it had it would be the number one in the world. My top best cities in Europe (and perhaps in the world) are all in Italy, Rome, Naples, Florence and Venice. I am not Italian but no other country compares to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Das Reich wrote: »
    In Europe I would say London and Paris are the worst. Rome the best. In the rest of the world Rio de Janeiro is by far the worst city a person can be, bad weather, violent, expensive, full of ugly people everywhere.

Can't say I was ever scared in Rio and I thought the city was full of good looking women !!
    London has nice areas but does contain alot of knobs and is soo expensive..
    Not a big fan of Paris...qu'elle attitude ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 whatdoyouknow

Damascus. I didn't feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Thirteenth Step

Any city in the southeast of the USA if I can get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dublin is a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I'd go with Oslo. No real reason, but it felt like I could have been anywhere in Northern Europe. Bergin on the other hand was a different class of crustacean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

We had a conversation at work about San Francisco the last day, two of the three had been there, the consensus was that it was unsafe, homeless riddled and just not great.

Clearly the two of them had never left the tenderloin.
    Nairobi Mombasa Kenya and dar Es salaam Tanzania and other towns in them countries, backpacked through them in 2001 never again in my life time would I go back.

Nairobi tops my list of places to never return to, it was without doubt the most unpleasant place I have ever been too and has nothing to recomend it. Mombasa I quite liked but it is still a third world city so it's not exactly safe and could be a bit challenging sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Dijbouti - awful place

Sorry thought this was a thread dedicated to look at me I've been to this city most of you haven't been too or possibly heard of even though twas grand so ill mention I was there to sound cool.

Haven't been to Dijbouti just saying that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

crybaby wrote: »
    Was in Los Angeles for 8 hours and would never go back again, utter **** hole of a place.

8 hours is totally loads of time for a mahoosive city like Los Angeles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

8 hours is totally loads of time for a mahoosive city like Los Angeles.

completely agree, wouldn't even fly over the place let alone visit it based on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Berlin most boring city ever. People are very unfriendly it's all fairly dull and drab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Frankfurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Berlin most boring city ever. People are very unfriendly it's all fairly dull and drab.
    Frankfurt

So just avoid Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

What!!!!

I can't wait to get back. Jumped on a train to get about 10 minutes outta the city centre (to what I have to admit looked like a run down version of Dublin in the 80s) but had one of the best nights of my life. Incredible place just burbling under the cover.

But back on Topic. Belfast is that city I'll never return to. Awful grim place clearly scarred by the recent past and still very much struggling to get over it. That and it's ugly. Looks like an accident.

But back on Topic. Belfast is that city I'll never return to. Awful grim place ckeqrky scarred by the recent past and still very much struggling to get over it. That and it's ugly. Looks like an accident.

I love Belfast.

Maybe it's because for years I just heard of places like Sandy Row, the Falls Road and Shankill Road in connection with atrocities.

I found it fascinating to go into them and see a whole different culture, even on the Falls Road the way they wear their Nationalist identity, to see places like Frizells Fish shop and remember what happened there, passing the old Crumlin Courthouse etc. Not beautiful, admittedly, just interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Brussels. If you think the Germans are boring...

Literally the only highlight was the waffles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Nairobi tops my list of places to never return to, it was without doubt the most unpleasant place I have ever been too and has nothing to recomend it. Mombasa I quite liked but it is still a third world city so it's not exactly safe and could be a bit challenging sometimes.

Although I didn't love Nairobi, the baby elephant sanctuary, giraffe farm, and the Kazuri bead factory were all good fun. There's also a really beautiful park/reserve in the middle of the city - I can't remember what it's called. I was shown around by friends who live there and we hired a driver they know well, so that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Faith+1 wrote: »
    So just avoid Germany?

Berlin and Munich are ok but most German cities are boring. The thing I hate most about Germany is their food. Pure stodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cincinnati, just passed through it in 2001, it was a few months after they had riots and there was this tall building with lots of broken windows, so was happy to just pass through as the broken windows gave an image that the place wasn't that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Despite the fact that nearly every city I've visited in italy is beautiful milan is a pretty boring city. The train station is probably the nicest building in the place wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

armaghlad wrote: »

Have you ever been to Hannover?

A dour kip.

• Advertisement

Despite the fact that nearly every city I've visited in italy is beautiful milan is a pretty boring city. The train station is probably the nicest building in the place wouldn't be rushing back.

The cathedral is neat, as is the shopping area nearby. But you go through miles of industrial areas to get to that. And the San Siro is impressive. But wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Los Angeles, the sterile Beverly Hills type areas coupled with gangbanger barrios & a fukkload of freeways. And the people were as emptyheaded as could be. Kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Stigura

I just hate cities. I never wish to be Any city again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stigura wrote: »
    I just hate cities. I never wish to be Any city again.

Ok? Start boozing early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Stigura

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ok? Start boozing early?

Feel free to elucidate ~ or not. I just don't like cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I loved Brussels, don't see why people hated it.

For me it would have to be Kuala Lumpur, absolutely stinks, had no appeal whatsoever.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Mashad in Iran.

Stopped there overnight before crossing into Afghanistan following the 'Hippy Trail' to India in 1975.

Me and a Canadian backpacker were caught up in a crowd of people that was heading for the third holiest Mosque in Islam. So many people crowded in a small passage that we were just pushed along and straight into the Mosque. Then someone noticed that we were tourists and started screaming and shouting and beating us. We were lucky to get out alive.

Avoid Mashad and just about anywhere else in that country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I went to Brussels for the first time just before christmas, I liked it. Some brilliant pubs
    Berlin and Munich are ok but most German cities are boring. The thing I hate most about Germany is their food. Pure stodge.

German cities are all great, one of the best things about them is the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Oklahoma City. The most featureless, boring city I was ever in.

Apart from the Oklahoma National Memorial,

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/dawn-breaks-over-the-oklahoma-national-memorial-on-the-day-of-timothy-picture-id1321295

nothing at all of interest that I could find anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Leeds (unless I'm through from the airport).

Not bad per se, just rather boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Cienciano wrote: »
    I went to Brussels for the first time just before christmas, I liked it. Some brilliant pubs

German cities are all great, one of the best things about them is the food.

Wouldn't go that far. I found Munich very clinical and oh so dull. Plus the Germans themselves call Frankfurt "Bankfurt' Sums it up really. Have you ever gone out in a banking city. Its either old foggies or w@nkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Deank wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Hannover?

A dour kip.

Has a couple nice green parks, not as crap as Frankfurt. Munich I found dull but thumbs up to Berlin, Freiburg, Mainz and Wiesbaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Milan. You expect more from it due to it's reputatuon, but agree a lot of it is industrial and it's also quite expensive.

Sydney beyond the harbour it's a bit brash really. Given how far away it is you only go once anyway.

Budapest, met lots of fed up taxi drivers there. Again don't think it warrants a visit back but the spas are an experience.

Atlanta you might want to see once and it's a huge hub for flights but it's very modern and corporate. LA I don't plan to return to either. Lots/most US cities anonymous like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

o no have milan booked for a 3 night stay in june :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Edmonton in Canada. The most boring, drab soulless city I've been in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

o no have milan booked for a 3 night stay in june :(

Oh dear. Spent one night there and was bored out of my mind. Everything was closed before it even got dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

armaghlad wrote: »

Completely agree.
    Was there about 10 years ago for a weekend and there was nothing to do, it's so drab, pavements had dog crap everywhere. Really uninspiring!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

There's some nice areas of Milan, the Duomo is impressive and Castello Sforza etc, that said, it's Italy's industrial base and bear in mind that most of it was razed to the ground as it was bombed by both sides in the second world war, so in general, it ain't pretty.
    I suppose getting back to the OP question, I lived in Milan for a few years and haven't been back since I left, so, it can probably go on the list!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Naples
    "See Naples and die"

Advertisement