Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Belfast. I've been there twice and really was not impressed.

I think i don't like it because it's full of Nordies.

Us southerners should take it over. Make it another limerick.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Sofia, Townsville, Sydney, Limerick.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im surprised so many people say Brussels. Its such a charming relaxing little city, so beautiful looking, not the most exciting but like it has clubs and bars you can keep yourself entertained anywhere if you try. Great restaurants too, its clean and safe. Just don't understand the hate..so so many much worse places

Plenty more worse places of course. Personally I wouldn't return to Brussels either. I feel there is nothing there that's worth a trip back.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Brussels is nice enough ,but it does have its share of grimey parts .Brussels North station area ,where the Prostitutes hang out looks rather grim for example .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook..

Awful kips. Rubbish public transport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Sofia, Townsville, Sydney, Limerick.

What's wrong with townsville and Sydney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Was in Los Angeles for 8 hours and would never go back again, utter **** hole of a place.

Of all my travels Tokyo was the biggest disappointment, I had such a romantic vision of the place built up in my head and the reality just didn't match it at all. Japan has a real strong nationalistic streak to it as well and the people there are very happy to not really consider that a world or people exist outside of their country and that comes across in their general attitude to tourists.

I did enjoy parts of my trip to Japan and I will give Tokyo one more shot in the future but with a lot lower expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

Dubai - A soulless monument to consumerism. Surrounded by sand and traffic jams.

Perth - Reminded me of a giant retirement village.

Kuta in Bali - Full of jaded tourists and looky-looky people trying to constantly sell you cheap tat.

Buenos Aires - Just didn't live up to my expectations. Probably my least favourite city in Sth. America. A lot of the central city given over to giant 12-lane roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ranking of places I have spent a few days in from worst to best.
    Quebec City
    London
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Niagara Falls
    Manchester
    Kingston, Ontario
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool
    Las Vegas
    Montreal
    Lake Arrowhead, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Gongoozler wrote: »
    What's wrong with townsville and Sydney?

I had the pleasure of been stranded in Townsville for 2 weeks, the town was completely cut off by a flood.
    There was nothing to do except booze and mix with the locals. I have never come across such inbred people in all my life. Words cannot describe the sub human activities that the natives get up to.
    What is funny now is when I hear people saying they are travelling up the east coast I always recommend that they visit Townsville, I tell them it is paradise on earth, its my way of having a private joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

6541 wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of been stranded in Townsville for 2 weeks, the town was completely cut off by a flood.
    There was nothing to do except booze and mix with the locals. I have never come across such inbred people in all my life. Word cannot describe the sub human activities that the natives get up to.
    What is funny now is when I hear people saying they are travelling up the east coast I always recommend that they visit Townsville, I tell them it is paradise on earth, its my way of having a private joke !

Stopped our camper van in Townsville on the way down from Cairns to Sydney for one night. In the communal kitchen it just consisted of permanent Aussie residents of the caravan park having heated drunken domestic quarrels with each other while they kids ate dirt. We were only there 8 hours but we happy enough to get the hell outta there, drove through the town on the way out, nothing to see.

Same can be said for Rockhampton.

Ranking of places I have spent a few days in from worst to best.
    Quebec City
    London
    Dublin
    Belfast
    Niagara Falls
    Manchester
    Kingston, Ontario
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh
    Liverpool
    Las Vegas
    Montreal
    Lake Arrowhead, California

What was so bad about Quebec City that you rank it so low? Never been to Canada but Quebec City looks beautiful, and I'd love to experience French-speaking Canada.

And is Dublin seriously worse than Middlesbrough? Again I've never been (to 'Boro, I mean) but I've never heard anything good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Nairobi Mombasa Kenya and dar Es salaam Tanzania and other towns in them countries, backpacked through them in 2001 never again in my life time would I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Buenos Aires - Just didn't live up to my expectations. Probably my least favourite city in Sth. America. A lot of the central city given over to giant 12-lane roads.

I won't defend my adopted home, because it isn't for everyone and to be honest it's one of those place that grows on you rather than bowling you over immediately.

You are wrong about the roads, in that there is 1 (9 de Julio) which joins two motorways together. The vast majority of the city does not have 12 lane roads. Problem of perception there.

That said, it's not for everyone. We exist in a semi permanent state of chaos and it's not the sort of place that is well served by guidebooks unless they are well written and recently researched, which is a rarity.

I do sympathise, but you are wildly exaggerating about 12 lane roads. For people coming here I would always recommend a guide for a few days, head off and see some of the big sights outside of BA then come back to party for a few days, but plan out in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to say I loved my time in Argentina.

Cities I would not return to? Islamabad, Kinshasa both kips for many a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Lisburn, Although technically not a city. It's the most soulless ****hole iv'e ever had the misfortune of visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

Lisburn is a city. Small maybe. But a city nonetheless.

And its always a pointless answer on Pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

In Europe I would say London and Paris are the worst. Rome the best. In the rest of the world Rio de Janeiro is by far the worst city a person can be, bad weather, violent, expensive, full of ugly people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Naples. Filthy, and full of sinister characters.

It's strange somebody would say Naples. It's wonderful, the real Italy, city of the Pizza. With loads of points of interests around like Pompei, Capri, Ischia, Amalfi, Sorrento and Positano. It just not have all the archeological sites of Rome, if it had it would be the number one in the world. My top best cities in Europe (and perhaps in the world) are all in Italy, Rome, Naples, Florence and Venice. I am not Italian but no other country compares to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Das Reich wrote: »
    In Europe I would say London and Paris are the worst. Rome the best. In the rest of the world Rio de Janeiro is by far the worst city a person can be, bad weather, violent, expensive, full of ugly people everywhere.

Can't say I was ever scared in Rio and I thought the city was full of good looking women !!
    London has nice areas but does contain alot of knobs and is soo expensive..
    Not a big fan of Paris...qu'elle attitude ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 whatdoyouknow

Damascus. I didn't feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Thirteenth Step

Any city in the southeast of the USA if I can get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Dublin is a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I'd go with Oslo. No real reason, but it felt like I could have been anywhere in Northern Europe. Bergin on the other hand was a different class of crustacean.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

We had a conversation at work about San Francisco the last day, two of the three had been there, the consensus was that it was unsafe, homeless riddled and just not great.

Clearly the two of them had never left the tenderloin.
    Nairobi Mombasa Kenya and dar Es salaam Tanzania and other towns in them countries, backpacked through them in 2001 never again in my life time would I go back.

Nairobi tops my list of places to never return to, it was without doubt the most unpleasant place I have ever been too and has nothing to recomend it. Mombasa I quite liked but it is still a third world city so it's not exactly safe and could be a bit challenging sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Dijbouti - awful place

Sorry thought this was a thread dedicated to look at me I've been to this city most of you haven't been too or possibly heard of even though twas grand so ill mention I was there to sound cool.

Haven't been to Dijbouti just saying that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

crybaby wrote: »
    Was in Los Angeles for 8 hours and would never go back again, utter **** hole of a place.

8 hours is totally loads of time for a mahoosive city like Los Angeles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

8 hours is totally loads of time for a mahoosive city like Los Angeles.

completely agree, wouldn't even fly over the place let alone visit it based on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Berlin most boring city ever. People are very unfriendly it's all fairly dull and drab.

Advertisement