Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equal Access to Health Care

• 15-11-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Over 18,000 have signed a petition on equal access to healthcare

The petition which was organised by Amnesty International Ireland as part of its Right to Health campaign, which holds that everyone in Ireland has the right to health – and that the country committed to this when it became party to the International Covenant of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in 1989

http://www.thejournal.ie/over-18000-sign-petition-demanding-equal-access-to-healthcare-675652-Nov2012/

Wonder if they want everyone to have a medical card with free access to GP's, free hospital visits & cheap medicines

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rodento wrote: »
    Over 18,000 have signed a petition on equal access to healthcare

The petition which was organised by Amnesty International Ireland as part of its Right to Health campaign, which holds that everyone in Ireland has the right to health – and that the country committed to this when it became party to the International Covenant of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights in 1989

http://www.thejournal.ie/over-18000-sign-petition-demanding-equal-access-to-healthcare-675652-Nov2012/

Wonder if they want everyone to have a medical card with free access to GP's, free hospital visits & cheap medicines

GIven the article talks about equal access based on income it's a bit unclear.
    Do they mean regardless of income?

Are they looking to abolish private healthcare and make us all wait an age to get treatment?

I know I prioritise my private healthcare over holidays etc, and have found it pays itself over time when I need quick access to medics for treatment.

I suspect their desire is for an abolishing of the two tier system with just one system, and people paying based on their income.

That happens already, medical cards versus non medical cards.

Introducing UHC with mandatory policies would be better imo. Have a basic level and if you want higher then pay for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Any international treaty signed by Ireland can say we have the right to X.
    But until it is actually implemented in legislation, it is rather meaningless hot-air, something Mr.O'Gorman should feel a kinship for.

Advertisement