Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn feed/weedkiller v agri NPK fertilizer

Options
  • 13-05-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying some of the generic lawn feed/moss&weed killer that you get in the likes of B&Q or Homebase. I have always used it and found its decent enough, although even spreading can be an issue.

Recently I bought some wood for my stove and it was packed in agri NPK fertilizer bags. It got me thinking.

Is there a product like this I could buy from my local Co-op which would be better than the hardware store ones? Are these products suitable for a residential lawn at all? Would they be cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

I bought 10-10-20 fertilizer from my local agri store, 24 euro a bag after it was recommend on here

Really does green up the lawn and encourages growth,

But you have to buy the weed and moss killer separately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was doing a bit of reading after I posted, and I see that for an established lawn, the NPK numbers are meant to be BIG, SMALL, SMALL, so plenty of nitrogen mainly.

Any rules about applying the fertilizer with the moss/weedkiller? Like not at same time, certain number of days gaps between applications etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was doing a bit of reading after I posted, and I see that for an established lawn, the NPK numbers are meant to be BIG, SMALL, SMALL, so plenty of nitrogen mainly.

Any rules about applying the fertilizer with the moss/weedkiller? Like not at same time, certain number of days gaps between applications etc?

No.
    You need to go easy on the Nitrogen. I use 18:6:12 and wouldn't recommend going above that or you'll be out a fortune in petrol mowing the lawn.

Also if using agri apply a little throughout the season rather all at one time. 3 light applications works well.

If you want a good autumn feed get some 0:10:20 or 0:7:30.
    I wouldn't use any N on a lawn after Sept 1 unless it was in trouble as you will be stuck with a large sappy growth over the winter.

Thanks.

This is the article I got the BIG SMALL SMALL from
    http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/fertilizer-numbers.html
    in the section that says How Can This Save You Money?

Getting back to my original question, would I buy a bag of suitable fertilizer cheaper in the Co-Op than say a bag of Evergreen or Westland from B&Q?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thanks.

This is the article I got the BIG SMALL SMALL from
    http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/fertilizer-numbers.html
    in the section that says How Can This Save You Money?

Getting back to my original question, would I buy a bag of suitable fertilizer cheaper in the Co-Op than say a bag of Evergreen or Westland from B&Q?
    Yes, the agri shop would be cheaper, personally I'd recommend 7/6/17+ Potash for a lawn.

• Advertisement

10:10:20 will be about €20
    18:6:12 will be about €22

This is. For a 50kg bag.
    Enough to do a half acre lawn 3 times

Then you need to buy a weed killer if you wish. Personally we don't bother but we call it a garden rather than lawn so we don't need to be as fussy about the odd weed;)
    Also if you keep it fed and mowed I find there are less weeds.

Also when your in there you could get a bag of granulated lime. Spread it at the same rate, but not the same day as Fertilizer, about a week later.
    It keeps down moss and keeps grass healthy. About €8 a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

D50 or similar also from the agri shop will kill weeds in grass.

aujopimur wrote: »
    D50 or similar also from the agri shop will kill weeds in grass.
    Unless your familliar with mixing chemicals I wouldn't recommend going down that route. If your comfortable with it though you can save a serious bit on them.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Plenty to look into there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement