Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Votomatic - 2016 Edition

• 17-11-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Only 10 questions, and the scale options are somewhat limited, but hopefully it may help floating voters make up their minds as the GE approaches!

http://www.votomatic.ie/

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Woo, I'm a hardcore Green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I got Labour.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I'm an avid Fianna Failer. Or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Hardcore Green.....My arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I got SocDems (81%), Renua were last on 37%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It's an awful attempt at a scale..... if you click on 'cheat mode and look at where the creator chose to place the parties and where they actually are policy wise, it is at odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm a hard core Labour supporter, which is not completely wrong, anf the Greens were next, also not a bad guess.

Yet FG were nearly at the bottom, below AAA, SF, and FF.

Which is not just wrong, it is comical. It's as if the author thinks FF, SF and AAA are actual politicians capable of governing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's an awful attempt at a scale..... if you click on 'cheat mode and look at where the creator chose to place the parties and where they actually are policy wise, it is at odds.

for example?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Slydice wrote: »
    for example?:confused:

All of them really....

It paints FG as some sort of small government libertarians..
    That isn't and never has been true.
    They have always been a 'big government' party.

Question 3.... All parties are in favour of very generous social welfare benefits.

Question 6 has never been tested anywhere I think & certainly not how it breaks down on this votmatic effort.
    Also, a very large company is not a monopoly.

Why bother including question 7 if there is no alternate to 'let them all in'.
    makes no sense.

FG are indicated as being the least in favour of social housing, yet the current government have announced the largest building project ever.... the rainbow coalition was very in favour of social housing. It was FF that abandoned it

Q9 implies that left wing parties love the environment.,,,, there is nothing in reality that backs that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,683 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Those are the ones that are easy to answer. If you don't agree with either policy, you leave the slider in the middle which (as cheat mode discloses) is where the programme puts parties who haven't adopted either policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I think it was accurate enough.

Lab/FF/Green/FG neck and neck for me with SD just a little behind. None of them particularly high.

SF and AAA well back.

Hardcore Labour apparently :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Renua.
    A critique on the scaling is the simplified left/right but not taking on board the 4-quadrant scale that sites like https://www.isidewith.com/ which has a more nuance read on the economic/social questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

hardcore FF for me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I got Anti-Austerity Alliance/People Before Profit. Even though I support Water Charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

SD, which is how I am leaning in any case.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Greens for me by 1% from Fianna Fail, which is funny considering that I'm thinking of giving GP my first preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

76/76/75/65
    RN/FF/FG/Lab

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Those are the ones that are easy to answer. If you don't agree with either policy, you leave the slider in the middle which (as cheat mode discloses) is where the programme puts parties who haven't adopted either policy.

Gives you FF as far as I can see All things to all people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wx wrote: »
    Gives you FF as far as I can see All things to all people

No Corruption questions, so.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

This all makes perfect sense.

Have you joined Renua yet? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

No Corruption questions, so.

Surely being "all things to all people" means you tolerate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

piuswal wrote: »
    Surely being "all things to all people" means you tolerate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can be all things to all people and still not be corrupt. Corruption is a choice to benefit yourself and/or your allies over others.

If you don't touch the slider you get 88% FF.

FWIW: 83% Green, 78% Labour, 77% SD, SF 65%, FG, then FF, then Renua bottom at 44%

That's pretty much how I'd vote iin preference with the exception of SF who I tend to stick near the bottom.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Red Kev wrote: »
    You can be all things to all people and still not be corrupt. Corruption is a choice to benefit yourself and/or your allies over others.

If you don't touch the slider you get 88% FF.

FWIW: 83% Green, 78% Labour, 77% SD, SF 65%, FG, then FF, then Renua bottom at 44%

That's pretty much how I'd vote iin preference with the exception of SF who I tend to stick near the bottom.

It's interesting , if you click the "cheat" mode view they have FF slap dead centre for virtually every option.

Is that calling FF "centrist" or is it calling them "Populist" I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's interesting , if you click the "cheat" mode view they have FF slap dead centre for virtually every option.

Is that calling FF "centrist" or is it calling them "Populist" I wonder?

Probably a bit of both - you don't get known as one of Europe's last "catch-all" parties without sticking firmly to the middle-of-the-road on most policy issues, and by refusing to alienate any particular voting group, the populist tag sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All over the place really:

Labour Party 82%
    Green Party 77%
    Social Democrats 73%
    Fine Gael 68%
    Fianna Fáil 65%
    Sinn Féin 61%
    AAA/PBP 61%
    Renua Ireland 58%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Another one here: http://www.smartvote.ie/

Greens top out for me (surprise surprise), but the FG result is interesting - one FG candidate scores as well as Eamon Ryan at 40 pts, the other is at the bottom of the list on 8 pts.

So:

Green/FG1 40
    PBP 37
    SD 35
    SF 32
    FF 27
    Labour 26
    Renua 16
    FG2 8

Not sure whether that represents my oddities, or the oddities of Irish political parties. Again, no weighting of the importance of issues to you, which is probably at least as important an indicator, maybe more so. I might not agree with the Greens on their preferences for some issues, but I would still prefer to see a Green deciding those issues.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Green 41
    Ind 39
    AAA/PBP 35
    Labour 27
    FF 26
    SF 24
    FG2 13
    Ind2 0

Unsurprised to see the Greens number 1 - however I don't think the questions necessarily make sense for the constituency or the individuals.

For me Labour (Joan) loses marks for not being credible (in spite of policy positions), similarly for many parties.
    Similarly although I lean slightly left on economic matters I don't lean as far as the AAA..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I got:

McMenamin (GRN) 52
    Toibin (SF) 39
    Cassells (FF) 35
    McElhinney (LP) 32
    English & Butler (FG) 12
    Lawes (DDI) 0 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Jaysus the Greens will be winning this by a landslide at this rate :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I got:

McMenamin (GRN) 52
    Toibin (SF) 39
    Cassells (FF) 35
    McElhinney (LP) 32
    English & Butler (FG) 12
    Lawes (DDI) 0 :pac:

I got the good doctor too but it made Lawes my 2nd choice :shudders: I'm honestly in a pickle here as I can't stand any of them :( (Edit: I mean the big four that are actually in contention) (and Lawes, obvs)

Advertisement