Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Birdnuts wrote: »
    plenty of Whoppers already around the country anyway
    Whoopers?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There was a lovely pheasant in my very overgrown garden, today. :) He was nice and relaxed (he hadn't spotted me at all), he was standing in a little clearing among three old trees that grow quite close to each others, and was scratching through the thick layer of fallen leaves looking for something nice to eat. He was there for a few minutes, then he stretched his wings, and quietly walked away still looking at the ground. I'm delighted to see that the "wilderness" of the unkempt, neglected garden is good for the wildlife, and I'm also delighted that he felt safe here, well away from the guns. I hope for his own sake (as well as for my personal joy) that he sticks around. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

An incredible influx of birds to the garden this week. 18 species today alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

13 species for me since yesterday. Also heard Fieldfare around 11pm last night calling while flying overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

New Home wrote: »
    There was a lovely pheasant in my very overgrown garden, today. :) He was nice and relaxed (he hadn't spotted me at all), he was standing in a little clearing among three old trees that grow quite close to each others, and was scratching through the thick layer of fallen leaves looking for something nice to eat. He was there for a few minutes, then he stretched his wings, and quietly walked away still looking at the ground. I'm delighted to see that the "wilderness" of the unkempt, neglected garden is good for the wildlife, and I'm also delighted that he felt safe here, well away from the guns. I hope for his own sake (as well as for my personal joy) that he sticks around. :)

We have two pheasants that come to the bird feeders twice daily for the seeds that fall to the ground from the feeders. I now throw bird seed on the grass for them. They are quiet tame and don’t run from you.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The ones around here are very very VERY skittish, but I'll make sure to scatter more seeds where I spotted him, at least he won't have to go too far to fill his belly. Hope he brings the wife, too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The ones around here are very very VERY skittish, but I'll make sure to scatter more seeds where I spotted him, at least he won't have to go too far to fill his belly. Hope he brings the wife, too. :D

Please do, it's been getting colder these days and I need the food! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I seen a parrot in a Cork City park , hanging around with pigeons, beautiful bird

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I seen a parrot in a Cork City park , hanging around with pigeons, beautiful bird

I wonder, is it someone's lost pet? I doubt it'd survive outdoors on its own, it could be too cold. :(

EDIT: I just posted a link to your post on the Animals and Pets Issues forum, in case someone's looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

From the fodder radish crop on the farm. 30 twite , 100+ linnet, reed bunting. From the iris field greylag geese, barnacle geese and snipe. From the hay meadows 200+ golden plover...

• Advertisement

What colour? There is a green type that can survive as a feral bird in cities of that kind of climate/latitude.

recedite wrote: »
    What colour? There is a green type that can survive as a feral bird in cities of that kind of climate/latitude.

The London birds are rose-ringed parakeets. London has an average winter temperature a couple of degrees above most of Ireland and it is further assisted by artificial city night time heat. Even at that, the numbers there go though quite a severe natural cull during particularly long cold periods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got to dusseldorf occasionally with work and they have a population of parakeets there too.
    i suspect their winters are colder than london, which may be why they don't have the place overrun.

i got to dusseldorf occasionally with work and they have a population of parakeets there too.
    i suspect their winters are colder than london, which may be why they don't have the place overrun.

Bonn and Cologne have populations too; they seem to stick to the better lit parks and the consensus seems to be that they choose sheltered brighter areas as they are warmer. City officials are considering turning off the park lights to make it less conducive to the parakeets.

Nice video of them here. In this case (London) they seem to have chosen to roost in a cold area, away from buildings.
    I think a cold winters day on Wormwood Scrubs would be colder than Cork, which is probably our mildest city.

They are clever and flexible birds, which means they adapt well to city life, feeding at bird tables and getting soft fruit in back gardens.

There were a couple of them knocking around Brittas Bay in Co. Wicklow a few years ago, but I think sparrowhawks must have got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

recedite wrote: »

It was multicolored.

It was green with flashes of yellow and red , it was a few weeks ago now.

It was multicolored.

Sounds like an escapee.

It was multicolored.

Was it a big parrot, or more like a lovebird?

Today I saw TEN egrets in a field"! :):):) And as I was driving back home, I came across a rather large hare, who proceeded to hop away at a steady pace but didn't zoom away! Put it this way, I'm beginning to see why the tortoise might have won. :pac:

I really hope the hunters won't catch it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seasonal question: where can i find mistletoe in the countryside?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    seasonal question: where can i find mistletoe in the countryside?

It's not native to Ireland, so what little there may be in the wild is introduced. It grows on Apple Trees in old orchards.

Doesn't it also grow on oaks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a good showing of it on the poplar walk in the botanic gardens.

Doesn't it also grow on oaks?

Oaks, elms and some pines but, unless deliberately made to grow on them, you usually only find it in ancient orchards in Ireland. As I said, it's not native so any of it around is usually introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Spotted this on Twitter last night, our forum regular Capercaillie is up for an award for all the work he has done for Corncrakes on his farm. I'm sure he wouldn't say no to a few extra votes!

https://iwt.ie/biodiversity-awards/vote-champion/

whyulittle wrote: »
    Spotted this on Twitter last night, our forum regular Capercaillie is up for an award for all the work he has done for Corncrakes on his farm. I'm sure he wouldn't say no to a few extra votes!

Just voted for him, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Me too. Have followed all his work with interest. Well done to him whatever the result is.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,642 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whyulittle wrote: »

Yeah - well deserved. Its a pity a certain Conservation NGO with land in the same area has failed to step up to the mark in a similar way

He got my vote, too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A bit misty and murky, but always nice to start the new year over at Lough Boora. Happy New Year all!

IMG_20190101_134526.jpg

Advertisement