Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you put an alternative Dublin Airport

Options
  • 31-08-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

A suggestion was made on another thread recently to open up Baldonnel to civil flights. If a new second airport for Dublin was to be built where would you put it and why.

I think somewhere around Enfield would be a decent location. Why?

Good links to Dublin on the M4 (and yes we all know about the probs on the M50 at present but they won't be there for ever - we hope) - and good links to Athlone, Galway, Sligo

On a rail line (Sligo line) into the city Centre, a fifteen minute shuttle service into Connolly would give a great link.

The OOR (Outer Orbital Ring) will go somewhere near Enfield when it intersects with the M4, providing good links with the rest of the country and avoiding the logjam of the M50

There is land available out there

It doesn't suffer from fog.

Michael O'leary lives near Mullingar so the idea might please him and shut him up (fat chance)

In fact if they sold off Dublin Airport along with Aer Lingus, Enfield would make a great location for a green field site Dublin/National Airport.................or we could just rename it Ryanairport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I don't think its practical... Dublin Airport is very central to Dublin - at most only 10km away. All that needs to be improved is access to it. Get metro built and increase the capacities of the motorways around it. There is plenty of room for expansion around the campus for the airport itself. Even the a 3rd terminal has been proposed on-site showing this.

Take an example, Charles de Gaulle Airport is the airport of choice for many people (and there are a lot) going to Paris because of its proximity.

It you think the M50 is too clogged, then when the Outer Orbital Motorway is finally done you could build a spur from it to Dublin Airport somewhere north of the Airport. This would remove the need for anyone travelling up from the country to use the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

bryanw wrote:
    Take an example, Charles de Gaulle Airport is the airport of choice for many people (and there are a lot) going to Paris because of its proximity.

Orly was the airport of choice for me as I was going to Les Ulis in the southern suburbs of Paris. I would say that Orly is closer to Paris city centre than CDG. CDG is a newish airport that was planned to be the main airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Orly was the airport of choice for me as I was going to Les Ulis in the southern suburbs of Paris. I would say that Orly is closer to Paris city centre than CDG. CDG is a newish airport that was planned to be the main airport.
    I knew I shouldn't have said anything about Charles de Gaulle. I had a feeling this would happen. If I say any more on the subject its going to turn into a big arguement on me.

Let's just talk about Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Somewhere west of Dublin is the only alternative. It makes more sense to properly develop the airport we have and its infrastructure and linkage to other transport, as suggested.

Advertisement