Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Bags and Tourists on Dublin Bus

• 03-08-2006 8:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I travel on either the 41 or 746 the whole time to and from work as I work beside the Airport and live in Drumcondra. The one thing that is really bugging me is Tourists with big bags. These people come and leave there big bags in the isle of the bus and on the seats everywhere except the big baggage racks that are installed on the buses that head out to the airport. Of course the driver of the bus does nothing to tell these people to put thier bags in the racks. I am fed up with these people. Like this mouring the bus pulled up into a bus stop in Santry there was a wheelchair passenger there waiting for the bus. Of course the tourists had thier bags in the wheel chair spot not in the baggage rack that was empty. The wheelchair user got on the bus the bus could not leave the stop for a long time until the tourists came down and moved there bags. Why cany they put there bags in the rack in the first place.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm sure when you're in rome/london/paris/tokyo you've got big bags too :rolleyes:

tbh the bus is not a place for a wheelchair and we need a free on-demand taxi service for wheelchairs as many uk cities have - then we wouldn't have this upgrade frenzy which DB are doing, which provides cheap good quality buses at knockoff prices to UK operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

A taxi style service would be nice but hey this is ireland. When i go abroad i normally put my bag in the luggage rack if one is proveded if not i normallyput it under my legs or between them so it does not take up unnessary space. But oN The point of a pick up service for wheel chair users a systme like Toronto has would be very nice for them please check out http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/special.htm

I've just come back from inter-railing so i can easily appreciate the "tourists" point of view. i know i wouldn't be comfortable leaving the bag (that i was living out of) out of my sight, directly beside an exit of the bus. You've got to be paranoid when you travel, and having the baggage racks where they are is scary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've just come back from inter-railing so i can easily appreciate the "tourists" point of view. i know i wouldn't be comfortable leaving the bag (that i was living out of) out of my sight, directly beside an exit of the bus. You've got to be paranoid when you travel, and having the baggage racks where they are is scary...
    Then sit next to your luggage (certainly the 16A tends to have extra luggage racks, behind the wheelchair space).

Please, tell me why wheelchair (and pram, etc.) users should be excluded from buses?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'd love to know too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You can't exclude wheelchairs from public transport. They are part of the public. All forms of public transport are supposed to serve the public. That includes wheelchairs and there is no reason why it shouldn't. You might find it a bit of an inconvenience, but that is nothing compared to not having 100% use of your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

As an experienced back-backer, I have to say I don’t like blocking wheelchair points or walkways with luggage. That's not what it is there for. When using buses I used to have my bag on my lap or if on a train I would lock it to the rack.

@ Red Alert :mad: To say buses are no place for wheelchairs (or “them” @jjbrien) is just simply disgraceful and quite pig ignorant. People who are dependant on a wheelchair have the same right to have total freedom of movement at any time they wish. Why should they have to wait for a suitable taxi to be available which you would have to book well in advanced? Why, just to suit you so you have extra space to put your luggage as you sit in comfort on the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

weehamster wrote:
    As an experienced back-backer, I have to say I don’t like blocking wheelchair points or walkways with luggage. That's not what it is there for. When using buses I used to have my bag on my lap or if on a train I would lock it to the rack.

@ Red Alert :mad: To say buses are no place for wheelchairs (or “them” @jjbrien) is just simply disgraceful and quite pig ignorant. People who are dependant on a wheelchair have the same right to have total freedom of movement at any time they wish. Why should they have to wait for a suitable taxi to be available which you would have to book well in advanced? Why, just to suit you so you have extra space to put your luggage as you sit in comfort on the bus?

Firstly weehmaster i stared this tread because i am fed up at tourists blocking wheelchair places. I agree that wheelchair users in Dublin totally depend on the bus. I think that Dublin bus should introduce a door to door minibus serivce to completment the existing bus service as not all bus routes are wheelchair accessable. I think you mis understood my point. Ireland is not a wheel chair friendly country. Also buggies have to use these spaces on busses. If a tourist want to bring a bag on the bus that fine with me so long as they dont put it in the wheelchair spaces or on an empty seat. They should put in in the luggage rack where it belongs and sit in a seat near the rack so they can watch it.

I seen a situation yesterday on the 41 where there must have been 20 big bags in the wheelchair spot and 1 bag in the rack which is directly behind the wheelchair spot. A woman with a buggy got on and had to wake her child and take him out of the buggy so she had to fold it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Again, I think common sense can solve this situation.

I have no problems with people putting some big luggage in the wheelchair spot, as long as they remove it if a wheelchair person gets on.

Fair way to do it, everyone wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

I don't know of any other major city that runs double decker buses as the main transport to the airport. People don't want to go upstairs where most of the seats are and leave their bags downstairs out of sight. At the very least they need the bendy buses with extra baggage space for the airport, pending the metro in 2055.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Can none of you see the wood from the trees here??? The 'effin bus driver doesn't tell people to move their bags out of the way/store them properly. Just about everything else stated here would seem to be beside the point/off topic.

So OP: surely it should be the bus driver, not the tourists that are really bugging you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why? Are the tourists all 5 years old and lacking the basic skills needed to be considerate without adult instruction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Maybe? Who cares? What is the bus driver doing about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭notjim

Not only to wheelchair users need the wheelchair space, but people with prams, babies need to be kept in their prams on the bus and the 16 sometimes won't take them because the whellchair space is blocked with bags. Its completely outrageous, the 16 is a local bus, the driver should keep the aisle and wheelchair space clear and should tell people to move upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Originally Posted by Stark
    Why? Are the tourists all 5 years old and lacking the basic skills needed to be considerate without adult instruction?

You're right! If they have minds(properly functioning that is!) they'd know their bulk is more than a nuisance.:mad:

Advertisement