Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The way to do it: Michael O'Leary

• 31-08-2006 2:45pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What a pity there aren't more people like Michael O'Leary around. Yesterday morning he waited in the standard departure lounge with the rest of the ryanair passengers on my flight to stansted. When the boarding gate opened he went up, threw his bag behind the desk and helped with the boarding card check. He was extremely casual, yet fast and professional. After I'd boarded Michael got on and sat down in an unreserved seat like anybody else. I didn't see him getting off, but I suspect he travelled right though like anybody else.

Two things in particular about him that this forum should notice:

The old saying, eat your own dogfood. He knows well what the situation on the ground is, so when he's on the radio either attacking the airport or defending his own airline's performance he knows exactly what the situation is.

He mucked in and helped out. Whether it was purely selfish, either to get everyone on so he gets off as quick as possible or as a PR stunt, or whether it was genuinely helping out the staff it doesn't matter.

Iranrod Eireann would do well to poach him. Aer Lingus always was and is a government suck, so I'm not sure he would have had a good canvas to work on. Dublin bus would also do well to have him. A grave loss to many companys, but a big well done to him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

In fairness he could hardly be seen to be flying on another airline could he, and it's not like his own offers business class or reserved seating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

He has flown other airlines, and he's fairly reknowned for getting his hands dirty on occasions. A bit of a budget Branson ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Love him or loath him , he seems to know how to run an airline, while other airlines flounder they seem to go from strength to strength

On a personal level , I dislike the Ryanair stance on disabled people and several other things but not so much I won't fly with them if they are the cheapest :) ( which often when you add up all their little extra's like baggage charges and CC charges they are not ! )

I love the guy. if he had been in charge of public transport, dublin would be a beautiful place. No worries about comfort, all buses would be standing room only, but the journey times would be down so much you'd only stand for 20 mins max.

Brilliant man. Complete business genius. Due a lot of respect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I love the guy. if he had been in charge of public transport, dublin would be a beautiful place. No worries about comfort, all buses would be standing room only, but the journey times would be down so much you'd only stand for 20 mins max.

Brilliant man. Complete business genius. Due a lot of respect imo.

How is he a genius? All he did was copy Herb Kelleher and take the idea to an extreme (this is after he initially wanted to shut Ryanair down!)

As for 20 minute trips on PT, how would he do this? Put a snowplough on the front of a bus and shove traffic out of the way?

I don't think mich of MO'L although I use Ryanair about once a month. Nothing wrong with the airline as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

PR stunt I'd say. Well, partly. This is probobly him taking a normal flight and just mucking in a bit to make himself look good.

Dont forget this is the man who introduced baggage charges. Bet he didnt pay those.

Yes, he knows how to run an airline, especially after September 11th. He has revolutionised air travel.

But he knows how to make money through stealth methods on a €0.99 flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

if he had been in charge of public transport, dublin would be a beautiful place. No worries about comfort, all buses would be standing room only
    He would cut out all the unprofitable routes leaving probably just the 46A. Beautiful Place allright. :rolleyes:

Ryanair's priority is to make money (nothing wrong with that). Therefore, they will only run on profitable routes. Providing a service to the customer comes second. If it does not make money - they won't provide it. Don't fool yourself.

If all buses were standing room only, then they would be limited to 64kph - not much use on those outer routes which use dual carriageways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Red Alert wrote:
    threw his bag behind the desk and helped with the boarding card check.

Was he wearing ID with the appropriate credentials to carry out this important security procedure? ;)

And if anyone else tried to offer a bus service, MO'L would move a huge fleet onto the route until he drove the competition out of business, then withdraw from the route altogether. Ask Easyjet at Cork/Knock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

how I would love to see Mick O'Leary take over Dublin Bus or IE....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

BendiBus wrote:
    How is he a genius? All he did was copy Herb Kelleher and take the idea to an extreme (this is after he initially wanted to shut Ryanair down!)

As for 20 minute trips on PT, how would he do this? Put a snowplough on the front of a bus and shove traffic out of the way?

I don't think mich of MO'L although I use Ryanair about once a month. Nothing wrong with the airline as such.

He's a genius at making money for himself and Ryanair. Also a genius at generating publicity. What would he have to do to be a genius in your book - Invent an antigravity engine or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

He would cut out all the unprofitable routes leaving probably just the 46A.

Except under O'Leary the 46A would only go as far as Dun Laoghaire-Deans Grange, and the bus driver would recommend Hertz Car Rental at special promotional rates for 46A passengers in order to make it into Dun Laoghaire town centre and surroundings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well aside from ryanair's operation, Dublin Airport is the most inefficiently run place. No amount of 'refurbishment' will deal with what is a staffing and ideological problem.

I think the man is an absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Slice wrote:
    Except under O'Leary the 46A would only go as far as Dun Laoghaire-Deans Grange, and the bus driver would recommend Hertz Car Rental at special promotional rates for 46A passengers in order to make it into Dun Laoghaire town centre and surroundings.

LOL :D:D:D
    Red Alert wrote:
    I think the man is an absolute legend

You are easily impressed (fooled!).
    how I would love to see Mick O'Leary take over Dublin Bus or IE....
    I take it that you don't use either then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Red Alert wrote:
    Aer Lingus always was and is a government suck, so I'm not sure he would have had a good canvas to work on.

That's rubbish. Aer Lingus hasn't had a government subsidy since the mid-nineties. Since then Aer Lingus has been a net contributor to Irish Revenue, and is now one of the most profitable airlines in the world.

As for MOL - he's an ignorant knacker. Good business man though, I'll give him that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm not saying cash-wise. it's more an ideological "if the government say jump we say how high" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭SeanW

Personally, sometimes I think MOL can be a bit of a tosser sometimes but I like him because he's not afraid to say things that sometimes need to be said, and in a very noticeable PR stunt-ish way that pulls no punches. I respect that even though I don't always agree with him.

I don't use his airline though and I wouldn't like to see his overhaul of Irish Rail.

Methinks those new CAF coaches running the Dublin Cork railway would become 29000 class commuter railcars to a cheaper terminus in Killarney with a discount on rented cars ...

Advertisement