Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a Store Credit Application form a legally binding agreement?

• 31-12-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, can anyone advise me on this in relation to a local store.

In order to get store credit it was a requirement to fill in and sign my name on an application form.

However, I am curious as to some sections of terms and conditions after signing the application and its lagality?

First off, I signed the application form which had written on it....

'On application for a credit account, you hereby confirm that you accept the terms and conditions as printed overleaf'

I was never given a copy of it, or a copy of the terms and conditions that were either on the back of the form or on a seperate sheet.
    I got the conditions form only after requesting it at a later stage.

Does that therefore by default not make it a binding agreement?

The store also has a policy where I can go in, get goods and have them put on my account without the need for me to sign anything?
    I find this practice strange and wonder is it covered again in legal agreement?

Here are some of the terms and conditions of the store..

3) RETENTION OF TITLE
    a) Title of goods remain vested in seller until paid for
    b) Seller reserves the right to repossess goods if not paid.
    This is without prejudice to the sellers right to sue for the amount outstanding in the alternative
    and at the sellers sole election.

Excercising its rights, the seller shall be entitled at any time without prior notice to the buyer, to free and unrestricted entry upon the buyers premises and/or where any goods are situated.

c) the buyer shall ensure that the goods are stored in a manner in which they are identifiable as the goods of the seller.

4) PRICE
    The seller reserves the right to adjust any selling price without notice.

5) DELIVERY
    In the case of delivery by sellers vehicle of goods, the buyer shall check completely with the driver and notify of any discrepancy within 24 hours.
    No claim for loss or damage, after this time, shall be entertained.

6) CONDITIONS OF SALE
    It is an explicit condition of our store that on accepting of goods on credit, that you automatically accept all our terms and conditions of trading.
    :confused:

Have I been fooled into a legally binding agreement here or are the terms void as I was not made aware of the conditions until after I signed the application? Your advice please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

If you are not happy, cancel the agreement and pay off any outstanding bill. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kenny Gofuk

Sorry let me explain...

My questions remains, that by my signature ,
    I agreed to terms and conditions that were not made fully aware to me. So am asking am is it a legal binding agreement.

I have been invoiced on occasion for goods that I know I never requested.
    These were said to have been 'collected and put on my account' but not by me.

As mentioned the store has a no signature policy so I don't know who got the goods that I am now being asked to return or pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If it said on the form that by signing the form you have read and agreed to the terms and conditions (which very few people ever read fully anyway) Then You are Affirming that You did indeed read the T & C of the contract and that you agreed to them.
    The onus is on you to satisfy yourself that You are happy with all aspects of the contract including T&Cs before signing.
    Edit:
    But that does not prevent you from raising an invoice dispute for goods that you say were not ordered or received by you.

Sorry let me explain...

My questions remains, that by my signature ,
    I agreed to terms and conditions that were not made fully aware to me. So am asking am is it a legal binding agreement.

I have been invoiced on occasion for goods that I know I never requested.
    These were said to have been 'collected and put on my account' but not by me.

As mentioned the store has a no signature policy so I don't know who got the goods that I am now being asked to return or pay for

You are asking two questions, in the first there is case law going back a couple of hundred years saying you accepted the terms and conditions.

The second is a little more complex and depending on the facts you may or may not be liable. If it's a real situation seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kenny Gofuk

Thank you for replies.

I believed that because I was not given a copy of the documents that I signed that it was not a binding agreement.
    I was therefore shocked that I had given the store so much authority.

I guess a lesson has been learned - DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME ON ANY FORM WITHOUT READING IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you signed a form agreeing to the terms overleaf, and the back of the page was blank, then you've agreed to those terms, i.e. No terms

Olley vs Marlborough court hotel outlines terms introduced after the contract is made

If you signed a form agreeing to the terms overleaf, and the back of the page was blank, then you've agreed to those terms, i.e. No terms

Olley vs Marlborough court hotel outlines terms introduced after the contract is made

In Olley the clause was in the form of a sign in the bedroom. In this case the terms and conditions while not on the back did exist. I can see the argument and in front of the right judge or as a bargaining chip could work and is worth getting legal advice on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

infosys wrote: »
    In Olley the clause was in the form of a sign in the bedroom. In this case the terms and conditions while not on the back did exist. I can see the argument and in front of the right judge or as a bargaining chip could work and is worth getting legal advice on.

Isn't "in the bedroom" the same as "on a different sheet of paper" not known about at the time of signing?

Isn't "in the bedroom" the same as "on a different sheet of paper" not known about at the time of signing?

Depends was the existence of the condition brought to the attention before going up to bedroom. As I said I can see the argument but way more information would be required for any solicitor to give a full opinion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I guess a lesson has been learned - DO NOT SIGN YOUR NAME ON ANY FORM WITHOUT READING IT!

That's not the lesson at all. The lesson is, if someone is fraudulently using your store credit card, you should complain to:

Garda National Bureau of Fraud Investigation,
    Harcourt Square,
    Harcourt Street,
    Dublin 2.

Once a Garda complaint is made, you may be able to claim against the credit provider's insurance (if they have some) or your own home insurance (if you have it), or if the fraudster is brought to court, they may offer compensation for the value of the goods stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Didn't this deal exclusively with exclusion clauses?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

I would agree. However, since the signing, the OP requested the T&Cs, received them and may have subsequently affirmed the contract through his/her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Op if you didn't read the t&c or query where they were them you should not have signed a document that stated you read & agreed to them

Advertisement