Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unfair Dismissal Compo

• 02-01-2014 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering how the tribunal estimates compensation. Say a guy who has been unfairly dismissed from a job he was in for two months. Would he receive the same compensation as someone unfairly dismissed after three years employment?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I am not going into this to deeply as I am a bit groggy on this but I am not sure they can go into unfair dismissals procedures if you are in a position for only two months. As far as I can remember, unfair dismissal and rights only come into action after a certain length of time.

The experience I have is that you are on trial for 13 weeks and can pretty much be let go without reason or notice. After that, you can still be let go within 2 years but with notice or payment in lieu.

I assume you have something concrete to go on. A contract that says different or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Can't make a claim after 3 months employment. Lots of things are taken into account in calculating award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You cannot avail of the unfair dismissals act until you've been working in a company for a year, so a guy fired after two months wouldn't even get to court.

In the more theoretical basis, the estimation of compensation takes a whole pile of factors into account, including the length of employment, the likely future length of employment, chances of being promoted, and a whole pile of other things.

The compensation however won't be a "here's what you would have earned if we hadn't fired you" payment, it's more like compensation for the expense of having to adjust your life by finding a new job. Which will be a larger figure if the person holds a bigger salary or has been employed at the company for longer.

The nature of the dismissal is also important. For example, if someone is made redundant unfairly, then the court will recognise that the company had to enforce redundancies, but just made a poor choice for this individual (remembering that the individual was paid redundancy). But if someone is just fired spuriously and without warning, it will be considered a more serious breach.

Worth noting that the EAT does not solely dole out compensation. They can order that the worker is re-hired, though this is rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You can be unfairly dismissed at any stage - even very early on (for certain reasons). It's just easier to dismiss earlier in employment, and much harder to prove it was unfair.

Re: the initial question
    All you can get at the EAT is actual loss of earnings capped at 2 years. So if you were earning 2000 per month and were dismissed and after 1 month got another job earning 2000 or more, then your max entitlement is 2000. No legal fees, no damages, no nothing.

If you got another job immediately earning 1500 per month your max award would be 500 x 24 = 12000 but you'd be unlikely to get that full amount.

None of the above matters on how long you were employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

I am not going into this to deeply as I am a bit groggy on this but I am not sure they can go into unfair dismissals procedures if you are in a position for only two months. As far as I can remember, unfair dismissal and rights only come into action after a certain length of time.

The experience I have is that you are on trial for 13 weeks and can pretty much be let go without reason or notice. After that, you can still be let go within 2 years but with notice or payment in lieu.

I assume you have something concrete to go on. A contract that says different or something?

so whats the deal then if someone is sacked within 2 months of employment and they think it is totally uncalled for? is there any recourse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭3DataModem

so whats the deal then if someone is sacked within 2 months of employment and they think it is totally uncalled for? is there any recourse?

Depends why you were sacked. If it is because you became pregnant, then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Only if it is for an equality ground. Otherwise it's not unfair dismissal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

the law is a funny thing alright. i can't see how someones duration of employment can equate to their same entitlement to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Most jobs have a probationary period of 6-12 months where you can be dismissed without reason. Unless you can prove it was discrimination its unlikely you'll successful.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: OP, there is an astounding number of totally incorrect observations about an employees entitlements in this thread.

I suggest that you disregard them all and either conduct your own research into it or, if that is not an option, that you seek professional assistance.

I'm afraid this thread cannot be left to continue on given the clear dearth of knowledge in this area already on display.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement