Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong name on Penalty Point notice

Options
  • 07-08-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭

What happens if the wrong name is printed on the penalty point notice that a person receives if they have been caught speeding?

All other details are correct, except for the first name of the person who was speeding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By wrong name, do you mean Ms. BattleCorp instead of Mr. BattleCorp? :) If so, there is a part of the form where you can nominate the correct driver.

It likely means that the driver registration file is wrong. What does your driving licence say?

Write to the driver registration office and the Garda, explaining the problem. they can then re-issue. Having a minor error in the name is no defence in court.

You may have secondary issues like tampering with post not addressed to you or having a dodgy vehicle registration / driver registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What happens if the wrong name is printed on the penalty point notice that a person receives if they have been caught speeding?

All other details are correct, except for the first name of the person who was speeding?

Something similar happened a friend if mine. The went to the post office to pay the fine and they wouldn't except it because the name on the fine was different to the name on the licence.

If the post office refuse your payment because of that make sure you get some sort of receipt from them to show you tried to pay it.

Once you have that go to the Garda station and tell them what happened.

Hold on to your receipt from the post office.
    It will go to court but because you have your evidence you tried to pay it you will get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

you will get away with it

Eh, not quite ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

That's been my experience too, Victor. Exact same circumstances only I contacted the guard to explain, and because I had tried to pay it he told me to consider myself lucky and take it as a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

BattleCorp wrote: »

So what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So what happened?

I took my medicine and paid the fine. I didn't inform them that they had the wrong name, and as I haven't heard anything in ages, I assume that's the end of it (apart from me being €80 lighter and with 2 penalty points on my licence).

Advertisement