Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fix or get rid

• 25-08-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Just looking for you guys opinions, vw polo 1L 00, needs timing belt done, clutch is getting on but will last another little while, and there is an issue with the back brakes, they aren't really working for some reason, needs to be investigated further, father thinks it is something to do with a seized cable but wants to get a second opinion.

I've had the car for three years, I know these are all parts that need to be replaced anyway. My reasoning is that if I fix it up now it will last me another few years. My father and his friend will do the work so atleast I will get the labour at a discount, just have to pay the friend,also needs a new wing mirror and window winder which I'm getting from a breakers. So what do ye think lads, I think if I fix it up atleast I will know that the work has been done which I won't if I buy a new one. Loads of people are telling to scrap it as its not worth it to put that much money into a car that's not worth that much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Sentimental value = fix it.

Logic = scrap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Do you have the spare cash to replace it with? It would be cheaper to fix it than to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

mawk wrote: »
    Do you have the spare cash to replace it with? It would be cheaper to fix it than to replace it.

Would have to dip into the savings or get a loan to replace it, neither of which I would rather do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Would have to dip into the savings or get a loan to replace it, neither of which I would rather do.

If this has been the first time you've needed to repair anything on it, then fix it. If it's been giving trouble constantly then get rid of it.

If this has been the first time you've needed to repair anything on it, then fix it. If it's been giving trouble constantly then get rid of it.

The only thing that ever gave bother was the pedal box, which is a very common problem for that mark polo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The only thing that ever gave bother was the pedal box, which is a very common problem for that mark polo.

Fix it then, it's clearly been pretty reliable up until this point:)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

goz83 wrote: »
    Sentimental value = fix it.

Logic = scrap it.

Funny sort of logic you're working with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Fix it. Any car at the bottom end of the market will need the same repairs. Better the devil you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

OP I had one of those last year and drove it for ages to work. I sold it for 950 quid with a 2 year test. Fix it up and drive away just watch the seals on the gearbox, if the gearbox is wet get it seen to ASAP..

Thanks for the input, I think will fix it up and hold onto it for another while atleast, I would prefer to hold onto it for another few months and then sell it when I have some more free cash so I can get something better than getting another car of similar value to this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement