Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egr's and Dpf's

• 24-08-2012 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

With regard to diesel cars what year did all this egr and dpf stuff come into production?
    I have a 02 with none of it , was it year related or did it depend on the manufacturer?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

EGRs have been around along time. DPFs have been around for a decade or a bit longer but only have became standard since 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hughjohn wrote: »
    With regard to diesel cars what year did all this egr and dpf stuff come into production?
    I have a 02 with none of it , was it year related or did it depend on the manufacturer?
    Thanks.

EGR's have been around a lot earlier than 2002
    DPFs came more common when EU pollution laws became stricter.
    Most manufacturer's can't achieve the low emissions without installing a DPF. I think the big surge in use came with Euro V when motor companies started making new Euro V compliant before the standard came into force. PSA (Citroen Peugeot) has been using them since 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards#Emission_standards_for_passenger_cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

With regard to diesel cars what year did all this egr stuff come into production?
    Thanks.

Are you sure?
    Have a '01 Toledo diesel and it has an EGR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

What will happen when euro 6 comes in?

ofcork wrote: »

Go Electric :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

vectra wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    Have a '01 Toledo diesel and it has an EGR

Egr (exhaust gas recirculation) where a percentage of the exhaust is fed back into combustion.
    I dont think my car has it, no mention of it in book anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What car do you have?
    I have a Toyota Landcruiser from 1997,1999 Avensis TD had it, so its in most diesels even older ones.

Egr (exhaust gas recirculation) where a percentage of the exhaust is fed back into combustion.
    I dont think my car has it, no mention of it in book anyway.

What car have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Diesels will have p1ss as an additive, and I'm not joking on that!

The technology is already used on many trucks and buses - it's called Selective Catalytic Reduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Diesels will have p1ss as an additive, and I'm not joking on that!

The technology is already used on many trucks and buses - it's called Selective Catalytic Reduction.

Sold as AdBlue over here on the Trucks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid
    Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an aqueous urea solution blended with 32.5% high purity urea and 67.5% deionized water. DEF solution is used in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) to lower NOx concentration in the exhaust emissions from diesel engines.[1]

The solution may also be referred to as AUS32 [2] or as AdBlue, a trademark held by the German Association of the Automobile Industry (VDA), which ensures quality standards are maintained in accord with ISO 2241 specifications.[3]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Back to petrols....small capacity turbocharged 3 and 4 cylinder engines with stop start, cylinder shut down tech etc etc are what most manufacturers are developing now.

The diesel craze is/was just a quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

vectra wrote: »
    What car have you?

Citroen xsara 1.9 non turbo, 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

our 1.9 206 which i think has the same engine has an egr

This?
    EGR Valve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Back to petrols....small capacity turbocharged 3 and 4 cylinder engines with stop start, cylinder shut down tech etc etc are what most manufacturers are developing now.

Anyone here drive the new Ford Focus 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engine yet?

Impressive figures for a 999cc engine. 11.3secs 0-62mph, Max Speed 120mph, 56.5mpg, 114g/km CO2

Seems to be the future alright..

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Ford-Focus-10-Ecoboost-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

<Ollie> wrote: »

Anyone here drive the new Ford Focus 1.0 3 cylinder petrol engine yet?

Impressive figures for a 999cc engine. 11.3secs 0-62mph, Max Speed 120mph, 56.5mpg, 114g/km CO2

Seems to be the future alright..

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Ford-Focus-10-Ecoboost-review/

What about longentivity? Can a one litre really pull that weight without incurring mechanical issues further down the line. I appreciate engineering has come a long way in engine design but would the life span of that Focus and maintenance costs not be incredibly reduced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Good question re. durability/longevity. I really don't know.

MugMugs wrote: »
    What about longentivity? Can a one litre really pull that weight without incurring mechanical issues further down the line. I appreciate engineering has come a long way in engine design but would the life span of that Focus and maintenance costs not be incredibly reduced?

Unfortunately we only get the watered down Ecoboost - the 100 PS unit is the only version available in Ireland whereas the UK and other markets have the option of the more powerful 125 PS lump:rolleyes:! And even at that, the Ecoboost is only available in the poverty spec 'Focus' and 'Edge' models - the Zetecs and Titaniums (both of which are very watered down spec wise compared to the UK versions) are diesel only in Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »

Unfortunately we only get the watered down Ecoboost - the 100 PS unit is the only version available in Ireland whereas the UK and other markets have the option of the more powerful 125 PS lump:rolleyes:! And even at that, the Ecoboost is only available in the poverty spec 'Focus' and 'Edge' models - the Zetecs and Titaniums (both of which are very watered down spec wise compared to the UK versions) are diesel only in Ireland!

Sounds about right for our fair Island alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is hardly Ford's fault, they obviously looked at the market here and seen that every man and his cat is buying a diesel in that car segment. There is no point in offering a large selection of models and spec in a market where they simply are not going to sell. You can count the number of new shape petrol Focus sold in this country on one hand.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    That is hardly Ford's fault, they obviously looked at the market here and seen that every man and his cat is buying a diesel in that car segment. There is no point in offering a large selection of models and spec in a market where they simply are not going to sell. You can count the number of new shape petrol Focus sold in this country on one hand.

The Ecoboost is in band A, like the diesel and in Germany is over €2,100 cheaper than its diesel equivalent. In the UK the Ecoboost is up to £1,100 less than the equivalent diesel.

For some daft reason the Ecoboost is only €300 less than the diesel in Ireland though:rolleyes:.

If there was a price gap similar to what it is in Germany I'm sure most people would still buy the diesel, but as you've said yourself many times, not everyone needs diesel and I'm sure some people would have a good long think about it if there was a €2,000+ saving for buying the petrol engined model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

This engine is the DW8 engine. It has an egr valve and a cataltyic converter.
    The egr on this engine very rarely gives trouble and is vacuum operated.

Advertisement