Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Irish vs Irish Guards

Options
  • 08-01-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Well lads. I have an application into the British Army at the moment and am close to my selection phase. Being from the republic I am still torn between The Royal Irish Regiment and the Irish Guards in particular the topic of percent of republicans in each and how welcome republican lads are these days?
    thanks
    andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭schtinggg

before you take another step, you might want to think about the usage of the word 'republican'; being from the republic of Ireland doesn't necessarily make you one. If I mis-understood your post and you are indeed a republican in the common usage of that term to describe your particular Irish political leanings, I must admit I'm stumped as to why you'd want to enlist in the British army.
    If I am correct in thinking it was just a slip-up, I'd advise you to tread carefully before taking that mindset with you across the water as it will, inevitably, get you in a pickle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Well lads. I have an application into the British Army at the moment and am close to my selection phase. Being from the republic I am still torn between The Royal Irish Regiment and the Irish Guards in particular the topic of percent of republicans in each and how welcome republican lads are these days?
    thanks
    andrew

None, both regiments are soldiers of the Queen, terrorist sympathisers not welcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

thanks
    andrew
    None, both regiments are soldiers of the Queen, terrorist sympathisers not welcome.

lol

quel buffooneriee, c'est manifique.

lol

quel buffooneriee, c'est manifique.

Why is that funny ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbRm3CzAlik

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wait does that mean the the UDR was not considered a regiment of the Queen?

• Advertisement

The UDR has been disbanded for years. The Queen is the head of all the UKs armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

He ignored your question, no surprise there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Why would any Irishman join a foreign army, especially one that thieves the word "Irish" for its regiments, when we have our own armed forces?

Paddy still loves taking the Queen's shilling it seems. :rolleyes:

Why should anyone care about your nonsense opinion? Thats probably a better question.

Interesting fact. Even though the Coldstream Guards are older, the Grenadier Guards are the senior Guards regiment. Due to the fact the Grenadiers fought with the Royalist side in the English civil war, the Coldstream guards, the new model army.

In terms of Royal Irish or Guards, would favour the Irish Guards over the Royal Irish, you will make great connections, the Guards have far more prestige, also they were first into Basra and Kosovo, you also have the chance to serve in the Guards parachute platoon of 3 Para, previously the independent Guards parachute company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y808Jg4OiSc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Why should anyone care about your nonsense opinion? Thats probably a better question.

He's a Shinnerbot or a Plastic Paddy, therefore his opinion on the net is vitally important:P;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Well it is a discussion site. If you don't like it you're free to go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

sparky42 wrote: »
    He's a Shinnerbot or a Plastic Paddy, therefore his opinion on the net is vitally important:P;)

Stalking me eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    Stalking me eh?

Who are you again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

[MOD]
    Ren2k7 One week ban for trolling.
    Rest of us, can we stay on topic please.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Maybe the op is a member of Fianna Fáil-The Republican Party. This would not preclude him from joining any army. Anyway good luck to him in his chosen career.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

thanks
    andrew

Don't join either join RLC RE REME Signals or a corps you get better qualifications and pay in!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lofty wiseman

Royal engineers best way to go

Because you have a myopic political view that republican = terrorist.

And also because of the other guys probable misunderstanding of the difference between Republic of Ireland citizen and republican.

But its the combination of the two that make it worthy of lulz.

Because you have a myopic political view that republican = terrorist.

And also because of the other guys probable misunderstanding of the difference between Republic of Ireland citizen and republican.

But its the combination of the two that make it worthy of lulz.

That is the modern connotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To be perfectly honest TDM, I have rarely ever heard anyone refer to themselves as a republican meaning citizen of the Republic of Ireland. The only time I've ever heard the word used in an Irish context and not meaning paramilitary affiliation was during elections in recent times by Finna Fail trying to paint themselves as more patriotic than Sinn Fein. Almost (and by almost I mean 99.99999999999%) every other use of the term "republican" that I have ever heard or read used in an Irish context has been a reference to paramilitary affiliation, and I find it deeply odd that someone - knowing how the word is near universally viewed in these waters - would choose to use the word so flippantly.

Jesus Christ, I just sided with Crusader ... wtf?!! The end of the world is nigh! Repent sinners, etc.

• Advertisement

That is the modern connotation.

Lol. Maybe if you live in a lodge in Lisburn it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Lemming wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest TDM, I have rarely ever heard anyone refer to themselves as a republican meaning citizen of the Republic of Ireland. The only time I've ever heard the word used in an Irish context and not meaning paramilitary affiliation was during elections in recent times by Finna Fail trying to paint themselves as more patriotic than Sinn Fein. Almost (and by almost I mean 99.99999999999%) every other use of the term "republican" that I have ever heard or read used in an Irish context has been a reference to paramilitary affiliation, and I find it deeply odd that someone - knowing how the word is near universally viewed in these waters - would choose to use the word so flippantly.
    QUOTE]
    The original post reads (to me) that the OP uses republican=citizen of Republic.

For what it's worth to the OP, unless you have a real grá for the infantry, I would advise joining a corps like the engineers where you learn some kind of trade

Lemming wrote: »

Jesus Christ, I just sided with Crusader ... wtf?!! The end of the world is nigh! Repent sinners, etc.

Its okay I don't think you did.
    I think you just backed up my initial point.

There was some poor guy seemingly thinking that being a citizen of the republic meant that you referred to yourself as republican.

That was not such a big whopper of a mistake that I'd laugh, but the other guy taking the opportunity to take politically motivated jab worthy of the ghost of the Reverend Ian made the whole thing into a farce - hence lulz.

Advertisement