Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cc1976

I was in Dunboyne in 1975/76.I have been reading some of your stories & they bring back some sad memories.I was brought there by my parents who thought it was for the best.How wrong they were.You weren't really given any other choice but have your baby adopted.Some girls were lucky their parents allowed them home when they saw their grandchild.My daughter was born in Holles St. Today is her birthday.We were in touch some years ago but it was too hard on my daughter.Neither of us knew what sort of relationship we could have.She texted me again some months ago and we will meet for coffee soon.She is married and has a little girl.I remember some of my time in Dunboyne but a lot of it I blocked out because it was too painful.I remember Sr.Regina,she was a very cold person.Some girls who were there at the time were Agnes and Helen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 junemay

Hi cc1976

I arrived in Dunboyne early in the September of 1976. Had you already left by then? I was there until February 1977.

My baby girl was born in Holles St on 10th January 1976,so I was in the home in 1975.So Junemay we must have been there at the same time.My job in the home was sterilizing & making bottles.I came back there from Holles St.& was supposed to stay for 6 weeks,but my baby girl was taken away by Sr.Regina after a week.

Sorry junemay I should have said we weren't there at the same time.I got the years mixed up.

Yes, you had already gone by the time I was there. My job was to clean the small visitors room and toilet at the end of the corridor. I only remember one baby in the Home while I was there. Most of the mothers just returned from Holles street to collect their luggage. I will remember Sr Regina to my dying day, and not for any good reasons. I was lucky, my parents took my son home. But she tried very hard to convince them and me that it was the wrong thing to do. It's horrific to think that even up until the 80's religious orders could just take a week old baby from a mother. I'm sure your experience was not isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 survived

sheba99 wrote: »
    Did any women held in Good Shepard convents have to assemble games for MB Games or Hasbro? Just wondering because a friend of mine mentioned recently that an elderly Aunt of hers did work for MB games in Waterford which is where this woman was all of her adult life in the Good Shepard Convent, Waterford.
    I was in dunboyne in 1980 and we had to put cello covers on greetin cards there was no assembly of games at that stage well not to my knowledge anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sheba99

Anyone on facebook can search for Voice for Irish First Mothers or email firstmotherstogether at gmail.com to request membership of our private group there for Irish women who were forced to give their babies for adoption here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

survived wrote: »
    I was in dunboyne in 1980 and we had to put cello covers on greetin cards there was no assembly of games at that stage well not to my knowledge anyway .

hi my mum was there from june 79 to march/april 1980.were you there at those dates?

RANIA wrote: »
    hi my mum was there from june 79 to march/april 1980.were you there at those dates?

sorry no. i was there end of august 1980 till jan 81

I have seen that the good sheppard convent is one of the homes to be investigated under the terms of refrence can anybody tell me what happens then please. thank you in advance

• Advertisement

My understanding is the Commission of Inverstigation is in the process of being set up. At some stage, they will publish contact details and arrangements for those of us who want to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 minnie10

Can anyone tell me if they were there in in 1975 from January to May or up to the 10th of May??
    a

junemay wrote: »
    My understanding is the Commission of Inverstigation is in the process of being set up. At some stage, they will publish contact details and arrangements for those of us who want to contribute.

Thats great maybe some closure at last

junemay wrote: »
    My understanding is the Commission of Investigation is in the process of being set up. At some stage, they will publish contact details and arrangements for those of us who want to contribute.

Yes junemay is correct the commission of inquiry will publish details about submitting testimonials or giving evidence in private to the commission. I am the founder of Irish First Mothers on facebook, we have attended meetings with Minister Flanagan and more recently with Minister Reilly in relation to the commission of inquiry. Some of us are attending the Dail for the conclusion of the debate into the Terms of Reference of the inquiry on Wednesday. If there is any major news I will post here or if anyone would like to join our group on facebook just email firstmotherstogether at gmail.com The group is a private group, posts cannot be seen by anyone except those in the group and it is only for Irish women who had children sent for adoption.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy. Regarding discussion of the Terms of Reference I presume (and hope) that the inquiry will also be open to hearing evidence from those of us who were lucky enough to be able to keep their children and not just mothers whose babies were adopted. As the inquiry is into Mother and Baby Homes, the experiences of all of us should be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinosol

survived wrote: »
    I was in Dunboyne from July 1980 until end of October .. my son was born in Holles street on the 19th of October. . I was continuously pestered by Sr . Regina to give my baby up for adoption. I travelled to the hospital with Ger Kelly in a taxi at midnight ..I remember him driving slowly through the phoenix park so as not to go over speed bumps too hard.. He was so kind to me. I spent the night on my own in labour and delivered my son at 7.15 am . I was put back in a ward with new mums with their babies and I wasn't allowed to have mine. I was so upset that they gave in and brought him to me . I was adamant I was keeping him until his daddy gave me an ultimatum .. sadly I choose him but asked if I could take my baby as I wasn't sure. I was visited by Sr. Cait who was very cross with me for changing my mind. I was brought back to the home and was with my son for 3 days up in an attic nursery.I was brought to the good room and made to speak with a priest and Sr. Regina who had disappeared for a while. I was told of the shame I had caused and the time I had wasted and how I would never be accepted back to my family for bringing shame on them. I was told I had no choice ànd my baby already had parents ready to give him a good home. I cared for my baby and cried myself to sleep each night. I had him christened there and called him Stuart Declan.. marguerite was his godmother.. she was so nice to me. I was broken the day they took him from me.. 2 of the nuns held me back when Regina took my baby.. I screamed and ran after her but the door was locked so I ran up more stairs and looked out a small window where I saw my baby in a ladys arms getting into a car... my mind is completely blank sine that day . I don't recall what happened or leaving that place. I did go to Dublin to sign some papers what I now believe to be the final papers but I was told I was to tell nobody what I was doing or it would all come out of the shame I had brought on myself and my family. How could I have been so nieve. ..

Just read your post,I could have been reading my own story.The whole experience in the home was so traumatic,all we could do to survive day to day was blank things out.The guilt and shame we were made to feel was overwhelming.

My heart breaks when I read all the experiences and each story reads like it could have been anyone of ours. I am shocked that young women were still being pressurised as late as the late '90's to give their babies up. vinosol you can apply for your records under Freedom of Information in relation to your stay in Dunboyne and also from Hollis Street in relation to you pre and post natal care and the birth of your son. You should also have been given a copy of the legal document you signed in relation to the adoption. You can apply to the Adoption Authority of Ireland for that. If you need help or would like to chat in a private group search for Voice of Irish First Mothers on facebook or for me kathy McMahon on facebook. I have a sunset as my profile picture. You can also email firstmotherstogether @ gmail.com with some of your details for vetting purposes only and I will send you an invite to join the private group.

Kathy

vinosol wrote: »
    I was in Dunboyne from July 1980 until end of October .. my son was born in Holles street on the 19th of October. . I was continuously pestered by Sr . Regina to give my baby up for adoption. I travelled to the hospital with Ger Kelly in a taxi at midnight ..I remember him driving slowly through the phoenix park so as not to go over speed bumps too hard.. He was so kind to me. I spent the night on my own in labour and delivered my son at 7.15 am . I was put back in a ward with new mums with their babies and I wasn't allowed to have mine. I was so upset that they gave in and brought him to me . I was adamant I was keeping him until his daddy gave me an ultimatum .. sadly I choose him but asked if I could take my baby as I wasn't sure. I was visited by Sr. Cait who was very cross with me for changing my mind. I was brought back to the home and was with my son for 3 days up in an attic nursery.I was brought to the good room and made to speak with a priest and Sr. Regina who had disappeared for a while. I was told of the shame I had caused and the time I had wasted and how I would never be accepted back to my family for bringing shame on them. I was told I had no choice ànd my baby already had parents ready to give him a good home. I cared for my baby and cried myself to sleep each night. I had him christened there and called him Stuart Declan.. marguerite was his godmother.. she was so nice to me. I was broken the day they took him from me.. 2 of the nuns held me back when Regina took my baby.. I screamed and ran after her but the door was locked so I ran up more stairs and looked out a small window where I saw my baby in a ladys arms getting into a car... my mind is completely blank sine that day . I don't recall what happened or leaving that place. I did go to Dublin to sign some papers what I now believe to be the final papers but I was told I was to tell nobody what I was doing or it would all come out of the shame I had brought on myself and my family. How could I have been so nieve. ..

I cant rem what date i went into the home i was in england with relations then one eve i was told i was goin to the airport and i was collected there by a family member and driven to the home it was late at night and so terrifing i was taken up to an attic room with another girl in who wasnt 2 happy to be disturbed late into the nite i couldnt breathe it was truly awful my heart is now pounding even writing this. my baby was adopted through a private adoption agency but up until the day before i was due to leave the hospital i was adement i wasnt letting her go she was so beautiful i had her for 5 days as i was very unwell and put into a rm on my own beside the nurses station most of the nurses were dreadful except one night nurse who used to let me sneak her into my room an i had her all night from the mon to the thurs on the thurs eve i rang the nuns who harressed me to have her adopted and i told them id sign the papers that day but not friday when they took her i couldnt believe they arrived at the hospital so fast. when they came on the fri they took her out of my arms and 1 bitch said do you want to say good bye to ur baby and walked off with her. a nurse held me back and brought me to the room i was in and pulled down the blinds not sure what they gave me think it was valium or something but i do rem i had to go bk to dublin within 6 wks to some awful pokey sol up a stairs somewhere on the quays and sign a paper i was also told i couldnt tell anyone it was for my babys own good. how brainwashed we all were. my daughter was 11lbs and i was given **** all pain relief and treated no better than something off a shoe i was on my own . I ll be writing for hours if i continue getting so wound up so ill stop tks for listening sorry for ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lilliemaie

I was in dunboyne March till May 1981.I remember the nuns Sr claire Regina and Ambrose don't remember any more. also remember Crissie and gwen who worked there. also all the lovely girls. You were known by you're first name then bur if there were two girls with the same first name the name was changed. also remember /gerry kelly the bus driver lovely man.

• Advertisement

Chocolate wrote: »
    I'm from Dunboyne. The convent dog that I remember from my childhood was called Jacko.

I was there in 1981 remember Jacko lovely dog ws Regina's dog I think

Chocolate wrote: »
    I'm from Dunboyne. The convent dog that I remember from my childhood was called jacko

I was in Dunboyne in 1981 remember the dog Jacko quite liked him Sr Regina's dog I think.

lilliemaie wrote: »
    I was in dunboyne March till May 1981.I remember the nuns Sr claire Regina and Ambrose don't remember any more. also remember Crissie and gwen who worked there. also all the lovely girls. You were known by you're first name then bur if there were two girls with the same first name the name was changed. also remember /gerry kelly the bus driver lovely man.

If you would like to join Irish First Mothers lilliemaie feel free to send me an email with a few details so I can identify you to firstmotherstogether @ gmail . com Remove the spaces from the email address I have to post it like that as I am not permitted to post links here on boards. Anyone else who had their children taken from them are welcome to apply for membership also. In fact any woman who have had experiences in mother and baby homes are welcome to join.

Kathy
    Irish First Mothers

Hello Kathy thanks for me3ssage. I kept my baby did not intend to but changed my mind. Did not have any conflict with nuns my have bee because my own social worker at home had arranged fo my baby to go to nuns in my own county. Remember cards but not games. Have no real bad memories of the nuns remember one priest who was horibal to me don't remember his name was not on of the regular ones. but do not think I will ever go back to Dunboyne its a long time age but Still think of all the girls especially those who were so sad after giving up their baby's

Good luck with you're good work
    lilliemaie

Mazdoll wrote: »
    hi lilymay

Hi Mazdoll

• Registered Users Posts: 3 queeniee33

helen k wrote: »
    hi i was in dunboyne from september 1988 and left in march 1989 .i remember sister anne and the husky dog was anybody there at tht time tht remembers helen k. i just found this site tonight and am shocked and intrigued by it all its 21 yrs since i was there and had a happy out come

I was there at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mariecasey1

Hi
    I was in the convent from August to December 1988, i had a baby girl in holles street and kept her my parents and family wanted me to give her up but being adopted myself i was never going to let her go tbf the nuns never pressured me too and i found sr ann pretty fair in fact she layed the groundwork for me tracing my birth mother who i have met. i often think back to my time in dunboyne and i have good memories and sad memories i suppose mostly of people who i was so close too but never met again. I remember Chrissie she was great crack, and Ivan sr anns baby, i would love to chat on here with people from my time there

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Geoff42

Hello all,

Late joining but hopefully not too late. I was born in the national maternity hospital late 1973. I was wondering if there were any contacts there during this time. I am looking to track my BM.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Geoff42

Hello all,

Late joining but hopefully not too late. I was born in the national maternity hospital late 1973. My BM stayed in the Dunboyne Convent and I was wondering if there were any contacts there during this time. I am looking to track my BM.

Many thanks

Advertisement