Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying a second hand Alfa 156

• 25-08-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I've been reading a good bit on here about the 156. I have about 2,500 to spend.

A recurring comment i've seen is, "it's fine if you intend to look after it." I'd be fine with this as long as someone can elaborate on what exactly this means? I've read the timing belt should be changed every 32,000 km (or is it miles??) or every 3 years, whichever comes first. What else needs to be taken into account?

When i'm going to inspect the car i'd like to bring an experienced mechanic with me, preferably one who is familiar with the ins and outs of Alfas. Can anyone recommend one and how much i'd expect to pay this mechanic?

I have my eye on one at the moment and am thinking about going to take a look at it.

Comments

They can use oil so that has km be checked and topped up as required, if you're not the type of owner who is happy to do that than you might not be the ideal owner. It's 36k miles too for the twin sparks iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭gnolan

RoverJames wrote: »
    They can use oil so that has km be checked and topped up as required, if you're not the type of owner who is happy to do that than you might not be the ideal owner. It's 36k miles too for the twin sparks iirc.

I read that also about the oil - i have no problem topping up the oil. What kind of yearly cost would you estimate per year on oil?

Is there anything else I should keep an eye on? Questions to ask the seller, documentation I should see? I've read differing reports - some people having lots of problems and some having none whatsoever. The model i'm looking at is 2004.

Anyone have ideas on a reliable Alfa mechanic to accompany me?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 allyJay

sorry I don't know a specific afla mechanic, as your aware the timing belt must be done, check it has a fully documented service history, I have a 05 one, a year and a half now it hasn't burnt a drop of oil, but I do keep an eye on it as I have heard they can burn a drop. Really you just have to be prepared to mind it, as in service it regularly and don't abuse it. Some say that the water pump should be done with the timing belt, some say it doesn't... I haven't gotten to that job yet so can't say from experience. Also watch out for the wishbones and suspension, they can be a problem, if the car has been abused. ultimately take your time, do your research and find one that has been taken care of and has it's history with it.

allyJay wrote: »
    sorry I don't know a specific afla mechanic, as your aware the timing belt must be done, check it has a fully documented service history, I have a 05 one, a year and a half now it hasn't burnt a drop of oil, but I do keep an eye on it as I have heard they can burn a drop. Really you just have to be prepared to mind it, as in service it regularly and don't abuse it. Some say that the water pump should be done with the timing belt, some say it doesn't... I haven't gotten to that job yet so can't say from experience. Also watch out for the wishbones and suspension, they can be a problem, if the car has been abused. ultimately take your time, do your research and find one that has been taken care of and has it's history with it.

Can you confirm that the timing belt is every 36k miles, or is it km?

When asking for the "fully documented service history", what exactly am i looking for? Am i looking to see that the car has been serviced on a yearly basis or what exactly?

gnolan wrote: »
    Can you confirm that the timing belt is every 36k miles, or is it km?.........

miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The tensioners and idlers also need to be changed at the timing belt interval as these are often prone to failing.

The interval is 36k miles or 3 years, whichever occurred first.

By a full service history OP, your looking for all services to have been carried out at the correct interval. For the Alfa 156 it is very 12k miles. So you should have seen oil and filter changes at all of those points.

Don't be put off by the oil consumption. Mine doesn't use much at all- 150ml every 1000 miles.

Check all the electrics are working. Check all the switches. Make sure there are no warnings coming on the dash or that the engine management light is not coming on.

Make sure to bring the car over some speedbumps on a testdrive and listen out for any creaking / squeaking from the suspension- if that is the case its likely to be worn bushes.

If you hear knocking from the suspension the ARBs might be the culprit and require changing.

If you feel any hesitancy when accelerating through the rev range could be a faulty air flow meter sensor. not a big deal to fix.

Bring the car for a good spin and check the temperature gauge. It should be reading 90. If it is reading 80 or thereabouts its most likely a stuck thermostat- not a big deal to fix.

If you get a 156 that has been looked after they are a fine and enjoyable car to drive despite what other people might tell you.

The independent mechanic you need is Ti Autos and he is in Stoneybatter Dublin 7. He is the Dublin Alfa Wizard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Op, a pal of mine is an alfa guru mechanic.....he's gutted,repaired and owned loads of them, I can hook you up with him if you want. pm me if you want.

I know he looked at well over 7 or 8 156's last time he bought........a good one thats "right" can be hard got but good luck with your hunt.

The tensioners and idlers also need to be changed at the timing belt interval as these are often prone to failing.

The interval is 36k miles or 3 years, whichever occurred first.

By a full service history OP, your looking for all services to have been carried out at the correct interval. For the Alfa 156 it is very 12k miles. So you should have seen oil and filter changes at all of those points.

Don't be put off by the oil consumption. Mine doesn't use much at all- 150ml every 1000 miles.

Check all the electrics are working. Check all the switches. Make sure there are no warnings coming on the dash or that the engine management light is not coming on.

Make sure to bring the car over some speedbumps on a testdrive and listen out for any creaking / squeaking from the suspension- if that is the case its likely to be worn bushes.

If you hear knocking from the suspension the ARBs might be the culprit and require changing.

If you feel any hesitancy when accelerating through the rev range could be a faulty air flow meter sensor. not a big deal to fix.

Bring the car for a good spin and check the temperature gauge. It should be reading 90. If it is reading 80 or thereabouts its most likely a stuck thermostat- not a big deal to fix.

If you get a 156 that has been looked after they are a fine and enjoyable car to drive despite what other people might tell you.

The independent mechanic you need is Ti Autos and he is in Stoneybatter Dublin 7. He is the Dublin Alfa Wizard.

That's some great info, thanks.

Now that I have you though!

Could you estimate the cost of changing the timing belt, tensioners and idlers assuming i bought the parts myself?

If the bushes do need to be replaced what kind of cost am i looking at? I don't know what ARBs are but the same question applies to them and the air flow meter sensor.

As you can tell i know little about these kind of things but am completely prepared to look after it if that's what it requires.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Op, a pal of mine is an alfa guru mechanic.....he's gutted,repaired and owned loads of them, I can hook you up with him if you want. pm me if you want.

I know he looked at well over 7 or 8 156's last time he bought........a good one thats "right" can be hard got but good luck with your hunt.

Thanks, i might get back to you on that.

That's some great info, thanks.

Now that I have you though!

Could you estimate the cost of changing the timing belt, tensioners and idlers assuming i bought the parts myself?

If the bushes do need to be replaced what kind of cost am i looking at? I don't know what ARBs are but the same question applies to them and the air flow meter sensor.

As you can tell i know little about these kind of things but am completely prepared to look after it if that's what it requires.

Unfortunately I don't know the cost of the bushes replacement- but the actualy bushes themselves are not very expensive so it's only really labour.

As for a timing belt change including tensioners and idlers, you should budget €400- €500 including labour. A main dealer is likely to be even more.

An airflow meter, the correct Bosch part is about €120 - €150. Its an easy DIY job to fit.

ARBs are probably looking at €400 plus at a wild guess.

• Advertisement

Veloce wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't know the cost of the bushes replacement- but the actualy bushes themselves are not very expensive so it's only really labour.

As for a timing belt change including tensioners and idlers, you should budget €400- €500 including labour. A main dealer is likely to be even more.

An airflow meter, the correct Bosch part is about €120 - €150. Its an easy DIY job to fit.

ARBs are probably looking at €400 plus at a wild guess.

Cheers. I didn't actually think it'd be that expensive to change the timing belt given that i can provide the timing belt kit for around €120.

Is it a possibility that one of the mechanics from Ti Autos would come with me to fully inspect the car...for a price of course!

Cheers. I didn't actually think it'd be that expensive to change the timing belt given that i can provide the timing belt kit for around €120.

Is it a possibility that one of the mechanics from Ti Autos would come with me to fully inspect the car...for a price of course!

Yeah it's bit more expensive.

Your best bet would be to arrange for the current owner to bring the 156 into the garage for an inspection. He's a busy man these days so you would be best off giving him a ring in advance and explaining that you want to book the car in for an inspection etc. (I don't know how much the inspection will cost but should be able to tell you over the phone)

Can anyone suggest an extensive list of questions to ask the current owner and any red flags to these questions i should look out for.

Some i plan on asking will be:

1. How many previous owners?

Obviously here the lesser the better which would hopefully indicate an owner/s that were happy with the car.

2. Full documented service history

What else do i need to ask? I'll be bringing the car to a mechanic so hopefully that will cover the technical side of it. I've had a thorough read of the sticky about buying a used car but would like to know if there is anything "Alfa 156 specific" i should be asking the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Timing belt, variator, suspension components.

All I can think of really...

Get one with leather :cool:

dgt wrote: »
    Timing belt, variator, suspension components.

All I can think of really...

Get one with leather :cool:

The one i'm looking at, unfortunately, isn't leather but appears to be well taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Wrote this a while ago and it still holds true today really. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705272

Oil, belts, thermostat, maf, suspension components, 3rd gear syncro... check all of them. Great car all the same.

Advertisement