Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Used Car to Buy

• 25-08-2012 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

My wife needs a new car and we are trying to figure out what car to buy.

Mileage = 10k-12k miles per year (rural and city)
    Budget = €10,000
    Year = 2008+
    5 door Hatchback preferred
    Key Requirements = Reliability & Economical & Mid-sized car (no bigger than Focus)

Thinking Ford Focus, Kia Ceed, Toyota Yaris etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

First off, do not bother with diesel. The milage will not be work it. The Yaris is smaller than the other 2, do you mean the Auris?

I would look at the Kia, they had a 7 year warranty, out long enough now to see what problems they may present, which doesn't seem many. If going for the Focus, don't bother with the 1.4 petrol, engine is to wimpy and they have coil pack issues, look at a 1.6. As for the Auris, sound to much like arse :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

First off, do not bother with diesel. The milage will not be work it.

At what mileage would diesel make sense? I see a 2008 1.6L Focus Diesel for €9,000 with 90,000 miles. Seems like a good deal?

The milage your doing, not the milage on the car. You would need to be doing about twice that milage to be worth your while. Diesel cars not be driven much do like it, to cause seriuous and expensive problems, injects, DMF, DPF, etc.

Without looking I think that focus seems a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Skoda Octavia.
    100% VW and built better than German or Spanish VW.
    Has a hatch and the boot is the size of Europe. Plenty of space inside, lots of extras and great reliability. Ultra comfortable seats. Good colour scheme and decent sound system.

I have had the same one for over 10 years. Traveled across Europe 3 times. over 100k and It's never let me down.
    Go for mid size engine or diesel option. Ambiente or equivalent trim spec.
    Combi is amazing size but might not be your thing.

The milage your doing, not the milage on the car. You would need to be doing about twice that milage to be worth your while.

I get that but with petrol prices going way up, will the payback on the extra you pay for diesel cars improve? And there is cheaper tax.

• Advertisement

KenSwee wrote: »
    Skoda Octavia.

I am a big fan of the Octavia but my wife wants a smaller car (Fabia is an option). I edited my original post to specify mid-size car.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Birroc wrote: »
    The milage your doing, not the milage on the car. You would need to be doing about twice that milage to be worth your while.

I get that but with petrol prices going way up, will the payback on the extra you pay for diesel cars improve? And there is cheaper tax.

Spending thousands to save euros!

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Spending thousands to save euros!

Ok maybe not the diesel so what car would you recommend?

If a Clutch and DMF goes on that Focus, you are looking at approx €1000 to fix. With the lack of driving it probably will go. Diesels need to be driven, the more milage the better. For Short runs petrol would give the same as diesel.

The 3 cars you mentioned and maybe a golf. There is a wide range of cars in that bracket. If your looking 08- you could get a better deal on a petrol model over a diesel, everyone wants diesel but doesn't do the milage.

I would suggest going into various dealers, try different models until you get a feel of the differences and then decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ok maybe not the diesel so what car would you recommend?

Please dont concentrate on 08+ cars. There is loads of cheaper 07 cars available much cheaper because people are blinded by this cheap tax thing which is being restructed in the budget btw...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

That Honda Civic looks good. Road tax is reasonable and 48mpg average claimed. Honda reliability too.

Most people would dismiss it outright because it's a petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You would get a diesel 08 civic for the same money though.

Not saying its not suitable, it just seems expensive

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You would get a diesel 08 civic for the same money though.

Not saying its not suitable, it just seems expensive

I was in a dealer today and all they had were 2008+ Diesels. Zero petrol cars.
    If Diesels are only suitable for people doing 20,000+ miles per annum, why are people snapping these cars up?

And when I search for Ford Focus with petrol, they seem to be same prices as their diesel equivalents give or take a few hundred quid.

If Diesels are only suitable for people doing 20,000+ miles per annum, why are people snapping these cars up?

Who said that you need to do that much mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LennyK

Small cars are the way forward.
    Seriously, I'm amazed as to why anybody would buy a 2 litre car.
    Fuel is going through the roof.
    Not to mention the emissions.

You'll have to expand on that. Big engine doesn't mean big tax or big emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

<Ollie> wrote: »
    That Honda Civic looks good. Road tax is reasonable and 48mpg average claimed.

Claimed been the oprative word 35 mpg tops

Claimed been the oprative word 35 mpg tops

Why would 35mpg be tops? The average is 48mpg, so on a motorway you should easily be get over 50mpg. In town, or short trips, it'll less than 48mpg, maybe 35mpg as you state, if you never drive on a main road or motorway.

Just a quick read here from owners and it's almost bang on as the official figures. http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/52991-civic-1-4-vtec-s.html

The Auto Express review in 2009 also states (when comparing it to the 2.2 diesel) "But the 1.4-litre is still remarkably economical, returning nearly 50mpg on the combined cycle." http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/civic/17379/honda-civic-14-i-vtec-se

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Who said that you need to do that much mileage?

OldManMondeo above said I would need to be doing twice my current mileage (10k-12k) to make diesel worthwhile. What do you think?

• Advertisement

That's assuming you're paying a premium for a diesel car. In this case the petrol one is more expensive to buy.

OldManMondeo above said I would need to be doing twice my current mileage (10k-12k) to make diesel worthwhile. What do you think?

Do a few calculations and see. Compare mpg, and the purchase price of the same model cars.

Then have a look at pre-2008 cars and see if its worth your while on the new tax system.

You might be saving a few €k's on the purchase price of a 2007 car, and will take you years to get back if paying the higher price for a 2008 car, for instance.

A petrol car might also be a few thousand cheaper than the equivalent diesel model, thus taking you years to get back your money if only doing 10,000 miles a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LennyK wrote: »
    Small cars are the way forward.
    Seriously, I'm amazed as to why anybody would buy a 2 litre car.
    Fuel is going through the roof.
    Not to mention the emissions.

Not everyone wants a car with a pint size engine.

Advertisement