Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipping Taxi Drivers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Terry wrote:
    seansouth, don't feed the trolls.
    Sorry boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bugler wrote:
    Mairt,

So how are Taxi men making a living? According to you it isn't tenable at all.

Read what I just wrote.

There's a living to be made. But there's many a fool has left a full time secure job thinking that driving a taxi is money for old rope.

If anyone left a job to drive a taxi I'd call him/her a fool.

If your already unemployed and can't find a job, then go and get the loans and work your ass off. But make no mistake, you will not make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Mairt wrote:
    Every taxi driver I know tells me their making a mint too, sorta like every lad I know tells me he's a bigger cock than mine!.

No, I'm not driving a taxi. But unlike a lot of people on here I've been in the workforce over 22yrs now (I'm in the Defence Forces), I have a family and all that comes with that.

I've worked up my retirement and can retire with a nice little pension now if I wanted to. So I looked seriously at driving a taxi for a living, and honestly without my army pension I wouldn't have made a living from a taxi.

As I said in another post. I went to the banks enquiring after loans for a taxi, and not one would approve. What I was told is that the taxi business is high risk, the market is flooded and I was better getting a different job. Although they would approve a 'home improvement' loan if I wanted to take the risk.

So there ya go, I don't listen to bullsh*t on boards or the lads in the pub and think I know it all because it was a huge life changing decision for me so I looked at it as realistically as I could.

You make some good points, It is hard to get started in the taxi game, but as I said, I know a lot of taxi drivers. Most started out renting a plate or hackneying. This enabled them to get the money up to pay for their own plates etc. one or two were lucky enough to inherit a plate from old school drivers who retired.Believe me they make a very very good living from the taxi game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Mairt, there are very few taxi drivers in cars worth 15 grand. Why not start in an old banger, get the insurance on direct debit and pay for your rooflight on a credit card?

Some of the oldest and least valuable cars on the roads of Dublin are taxis. You could be on the road in no time.

You will then be earning the pay of someone who can afford a new Octavia yet have no car payments as your old Toyota will have cost €500.

To get back to the original point, I always tip taxi drivers, usually round up if it is more than 50c or round up plus €1 if it is less. This is even though I believe they earn alot more money than I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Mairt wrote:
    I've worked up my retirement and can retire with a nice little pension now if I wanted to.
    Is that from one of those "deaf" claims everyone in the armed forces seems to be making?
    Sorry off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Mairt wrote:
    Oh really?.

Just for the crack I rang Quinn, and with 22 yrs accident free driving I was quoted €2200 just now!

Cant find a link for the prices but it was defo in a newspaper recently (maybe Metro) €15k is mad money to spend on a taxi first time out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mairt,
    You could get a €25k business (or even personal) loan and pay it back over five years at about €500 per month. That's manageable for most people, you may be a little tight for a while.
    As I'll be self employed I'll have to get a health plan with VHI or some other body. Plus I'll need critical illness cover as I won't be paying a stamp.
    Welcome to the world that the rest of us live in. Private employees have to pay for their own health insurance too.

Taxi driving is no longer the cushty, "Do a few hours a day and I'll be ticking over" job that it used to be. Deregulation has made it into a normal job where you compete for business. It's a shift work job now. You do a few hours during the day Monday-Wednesday, then you do two nights out of three between Thursday and Saturday, and you take Sunday off. If this isn't for you, then taxi driving isn't for you.

Having spoken to plenty of taxi drivers, joining one of the big companies or co-ops is the way to go. Any I've spoken to, love it - no matter where they are in the city, there's always a job that they can pick up in that area, which leads them onto more jobs. The little notification screen is constantly beeping with new jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

From reading many threads about Taxi drivers its the same old same old.Everyone thinks they earn a mint and dont look at what is really involved in the job.I drive a taxi and yes i make a living but week to week,there are a lot of overheads and if anything goes wrong with the car or you get sick your off the road noo wages.Gone are the days that i can see where you make a "Mint" there are so many taxis on the road these days and anyone who gets ripped off report them take there number and get on to the regulator and keep your receipt.I hear every night im out god you must be racking it in but they dont see the hours i sit making no money there are a lot of times you will get only one or no fares per hour,and a fare can be 3.80 .Getting back to this thread i round down fares if 9.20 i will charge 9 and most of the time they will give a tip "Thank you very much for those people".People love to give out about Taxi drivers but please dont tar us all with the same brush.Its a hard job a lot of hours need to be put in to earn a wage and you give up every weekend to do so.I wouldnt change my job because i love it i am my own boss work my own hours and answer to no one.Pit falls are drunks,junkies,people who get sick or use the car as a loo or room to have sex etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wexford12 wrote:
    most of the time they will give a tip "Thank you very much for those people".
    See, it's nice to be nice and appreciate if someone appreciates you.

wexford12 wrote:
    Pit falls are drunks,junkies,people who get sick or use the car as a loo or room to have sex etc.
    :eek:

People have sex in your taxi?

My jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Tipping taxi men... gotta be easier than cows at least...:p
    wexford12 wrote:
    or use the car as a loo or room to have sex etc.
    Get a video camera, put a notice up clearly in view of the rear seat (by commiting the act with the sign in clear view it should be acceptable as consent to record them) and watch the income soar as the drunks fail to notice they're they're being recorded and you then sell the films on-line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

farohar wrote:
    Get a video camera, put a notice up clearly in view of the rear seat (by commiting the act with the sign in clear view it should be acceptable as consent to record them) and watch the income soar as the drunks fail to notice they're they're being recorded and you then sell the films on-line.
    Or some dirty big scumbag gets in the car and loses the rag because you're filming and destroys the inside of your car.

Junkies and scumbags hate cameras. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Mairt wrote:
    Oh really?.

Just for the crack I rang Quinn, and with 22 yrs accident free driving I was quoted €2200 just now!.

And an SPSV licence will set me back €6100.

I drive a decent car already, but lets say I need to buy a car to start. I'll go with a two yr old Skoda Octavia 1.9Tdi (probably about) €15000.

Now already I'm looking at €23,300.

Oh, a meter and sign is going to cost me €700 so I'm up to €24,000.

As I don't have 24K in my back pocket I'm going to have to either top up my already high mortage or get a new loan. Two year's ago I enquired about a taxi loan as I was contemplating retiring from the Defence Forces and not one bank would give me a loan for a taxi as their view was that the market was flooded and it was high risk.

So now I'm looking at a short term loan and high interest rates to get myself a job.

As I'll be self employed I'll have to get a health plan with VHI or some other body. Plus I'll need critical illness cover as I won't be paying a stamp.

Making a mint my hole!.

Fvck that sh*t I think I'll stay in the army.
    And? Are taxi's the only people with cars to pay for or something? Lots of people spend 25k on a car, and it doesn't bring in any profit.

I do tip a taxi the odd time, usually if they're being sound. In general though I think they charge too much. I don't see how they charge me about 12 euro to get home on saturday night when it takes them about 10 to 15 minutes max. If I was sober enough to drive myself home it would probably cost somewhere around 50 cent in diesel.

Tony Danza wrote:
    And? Are taxi's the only people with cars to pay for or something? Lots of people spend 25k on a car, and it doesn't bring in any profit.

I do tip a taxi the odd time, usually if they're being sound. In general though I think they charge too much. I don't see how they charge me about 12 euro to get home on saturday night when it takes them about 10 to 15 minutes max. If I was sober enough to drive myself home it would probably cost somewhere around 50 cent in diesel.

Good point Tony! Having a taxi means you don't have to have a car for personal use. All that talk of insurance and car repayments go for the rest of us too. And you can drive up the bus lanes when you are not working.

Do taxi drivers have to pay benefit in kind like a company car user does because he can use it out of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kajo

Tony Danza wrote:

If you buy a new car for private use it holds its market value to a large extent on the other hand you buy a new - and lets get real here a car that will last a few years as a taxi you are talking 32,000 euro min.
    A taxi car is worth almost nothing in vaule after 1 year or less once its reg as a taxi after all who would buy a used taxi?.

I notice you did not mention insurance, tax, wear and tear, including the pukers and valet costs.

Lots of new rules in the taxi biz and lots more on the way and taxi drivers will be the ones paying for all those changes but the cost will come back to us in the end.

You can expect fares to get much higher as the costs and the amount of taxis increase.

Public wanted more taxis = we now have them.
    Public said the fare was not an issure it was getting a taxi that was important well now we have them and its time to pay.

Everytime Joe Public screams about what they want like a baby in a pram we the public will pay more for that better improved service.

We target taxi drivers to vent our anger over a bad system - a system that is worse now than it ever was.
    The taxi regulator is doing more harm than good... most taxi drivers hate the regultor so anything she implements is done with resentment.

If you want to regulate you need to get the forces on your side... you need to take onboard their needs and worries and I dont think the regulator did that.

On the other hand taxi drivers need to accept the public need a standard.

I say stop flooding the market... make the regulations simple and the fares simple.
    Take the vat/vrt off taxis and make them change cars every 5 years.
    All new taxi drivers should do a new taxi driving test at driving level and one at knowledge level.

The people who place adds in the evening herald should not be allowed to give the answers to the taxi driving test.
    For crazy fees they will give new drivers the answers to the taxi test and this is also another reason why the test needs to be changed @ every sitting.

Now if the taxi regulator was anygood she would make it an urgent need ( make a phone call ) and get the test system changed.

Just on another note I notice pretty bad driving skills and very bad local knowledge by most of the NN driving taxis.

I am putting this down to the taxi driving test and the fact you can buy the answers to the questions for the knowledge test.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

smccarrick wrote:
    I disagree.
    I get taxis regularly, both for work and also privately.
    More often than not I'll be asked whether I have any preference for the route to take, and whether I'm in a hurry or just want to take my time....
    Most taxi drivers are courteous, polite and a mine of useful information and observations. The odd one is a little psychotic- but hell, most people, myself included, have our days....
    You're paying for a service- its metered (unless you're outside the Dublin region- as per my Clonee detour) and its a hell of a lot cheaper to get a taxi to and from the door at home...

Give them a break- they're providing a service. If you don't like their service- there are alternatives, such as a designated driver or the night-link on nights out- or other modes of public transport elsewhere.

Personally I think taxidrivers get a hell of a lot of abuse because they make convenient scapegoats. They pay tax the same as the next person on the street, and a lot of them are a lot harder working- give them a break!
    QFT

There are also the occassional cowboys but you get them in every profession so I always wonder how people can "hate taxi drivers", boggles my mind to be honest.

kajo wrote:
    If you buy a new car for private use it holds its market value to a large extent on the other hand you buy a new - and lets get real here a car that will last a few years as a taxi you are talking 32,000 euro min.
    A taxi car is worth almost nothing in vaule after 1 year or less once its reg as a taxi after all who would buy a used taxi?.

I notice you did not mention insurance, tax, wear and tear, including the pukers and valet costs.
    So don't buy a brand new car. A lot of taxi's are driving in 5/6/7 year old avensis, which in my opinion makes sense. Buy a car for 5000, run it into the ground. But you do see quite a few taxi's that are brand new, if a taxi driver whats to buy a brand new taxi that's going to depreciate very fast, let them, but why should I have to pay for it? It's not like it makes the fare more expensive to be brought around in a 07 passat as oppose to a 95 carina e.

I got a taxi home one night and the driver was telling me he doesn't spend more than around 3000 on his cars. He was driving a 98 avensis if I recall correct.

And with regards insurance and servicing costs, if you spend 50 cent on diesel for one journey, how much does that cost for insurance and servicing? Another 20 cent or something. I don't know about you, but my main expenses for my car are insurance and fuel, obviously servicing will increase with a taxi driver doing way more miles, but he's getting more fares for those miles.

I get it now!.

Most people here want a free taxi, but the taxi driver's are too greedy!.

Go figure :rolleyes:

kajo wrote:
    Just on another note I notice pretty bad driving skills and very bad local knowledge by most of the NN driving taxis.

Ok, I have to say it about the Non-National taxi driver's.

I'm sick of 'em. Honest to god down right sick of 'em all.

When herself and Mairt are out on the town we usually leave the bar's early to ensure we get a taxi, or if I'm out Malahide/Swords/Portmarnock directional I'll ring for one.

Anyway, I'm tired of having to give foreign taxi driver's direction's from the word go.

I'll give last Saturday night as an example. We went to a fight night over in the national boxing stadium, phoned a cab who brought us right over. No bother there, nice friendly chat, asked about mixed martial arts (UFC stuff), about my Judo background and had a good ol' natter..

Leaving town that night, got into a foreign driver's taxi, "Hiya doing, can you take me to Portmarnock please".. "Where is that, can you show me"... "Yea no problem" (I'd a great night and was in good humour).. ""its straight up the Malahide road" <black stare in the mirror>. "Do you KNOW the Malahide road?".... "Sorry, no. You show me?".... <irritated now> "Now, sorry. Listen buddy I'll get out here and get another cab".. "Ok, thats €5.10" (the taxi hadn't moved!).... "Actually Buddy, its fvck all. now don't annoy me"...

Got out walked to the rank opposite the Mercantile pub on Dame St. Asked three driver's there, all African's if they could take me to Malahide. May as well have been asking for directions to Mar's :mad:

We walked further down the street, got an ol' lad (Dubliner) who took us straight home, went to tip him (well too!) and was told I was robbing myself :D Seriously he said "Jesus your robbing yourself, I'll be fine. I'll head up to Tamango's and be busy from there for awhile".

Nice chap.

It's worse here than New York City now.

But Mairt, in other posts on here, taxi drivers have been saying they get the customer to tell them which way to go and the passenger must pay the fare on the meter. I would presume those writing this were not black. While the black lads may not know their way as well, the difference is they ask which way to go because they don't know the way. White lads know the quickest route and ask which route in the hope you will direct them in a more circuitous route. The only difficulty I've had with black guys driving taxis is that they go very slow and I take quite a few taxis. The fact remains that someone can run a brand new Passat and make a profit by driving a taxi. And other boys drive ancient heaps of junk and earn the same amount. This would lead me to think that the amount needed to pay a loan on an 07 VW, i.e. the difference between the earning of those two guys, is not significant in terms of the overall earnings. Otherwise they would all be in 1992 saloons. So they must all be coining it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

What are your general views on tipping the taxi drivers of this nation.

All for it. A lumphammer applied sweetly on the back of the head works nicely.

But Mairt, in other posts on here, taxi drivers have been saying they get the customer to tell them which way to go and the passenger must pay the fare on the meter. I would presume those writing this were not black. While the black lads may not know their way as well, the difference is they ask which way to go because they don't know the way. White lads know the quickest route and ask which route in the hope you will direct them in a more circuitous route. The only difficulty I've had with black guys driving taxis is that they go very slow and I take quite a few taxis. The fact remains that someone can run a brand new Passat and make a profit by driving a taxi. And other boys drive ancient heaps of junk and earn the same amount. This would lead me to think that the amount needed to pay a loan on an 07 VW, i.e. the difference between the earning of those two guys, is not significant in terms of the overall earnings. Otherwise they would all be in 1992 saloons. So they must all be coining it in!

Like you I take alot of taxi's. And typically during my taxi ride I'm either with someone, so I want to chat or I'm on the telephone so I really don't have the time to be giving directions from the get-go.

I think your argument re. driving a new car over a banger is lacking a few factor's. Some driver's need more money than other's, ie in my case and how I looked at things when I was thinking of retiring from the Defence Forces to drive a taxi, and this is how one bank manager put it to me.

I'm 41, with a pension (had I retired, the army pension is a 21yr service one) and a low mortage. I've two kids in secondary school so I wouldn't have to break my balls like the chap with the high mortage (these days thats most people) and a younger family plus no other income (remember I'd have a dual income). So with my tiny mortage I could afford to run a very good car, and still make a modest living from driving a taxi, but not a good one like I have now and certainly not "making a mint" as someone posted here earlier.

A younger man, with a higher mortage, younger family and a taxi as a sole income would have to work much, much harder. Possibly couldn't afford/or justify owning a new car and believe me, he's not "making a mint".

Another thing re. new/expensive car over old banger man.

Some people like their comfort and are will to pay for it, some are content to drive an older banger.

Another thing, do you truely believe a taxi driver is hoping that by asking each and every fare that the fare will ask to be taken the longer route?.

If I got a taxi from O'Connell St I'm typically asked would I like to go the Malahide Rd, the Howth Rd or the Coast Rd. All of which bring me to Portmarnock and all of which will get me there for more or less the same money, with the exception of the coast Rd but I know people who'd rather take that one out of habit too.

Same as I'm going to my inlaw's (I won't give the exact area) but near The Pines pub on the Whitehall Rd (D6w I think) from o'Connell St I can go via Harold's X, Crumlin Rd/Village or through Rathmines. I have a preference for Harold's X but my bro-in-law insists on Rathmines!.

So I appricate a driver asking me which route I'd like to take and never once have I thought he/she was taking me for an idiot.

As regards the Africans. I don't blaim the lads themselves, there's a flawed system in place whereby alot of driver's are coming in below the radar and their milking it, fair play to them. But just don't expect me to pay for that service, or be happy about it.

gyppo wrote:
    All for it. A lumphammer applied sweetly on the back of the head works nicely.

Please accept the award for the most intelligent post today :rolleyes:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/pictures/stfu-big.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Tony Danza wrote:

What a thing to say lol so if he drives you fifteen mins there for 12euros remember he has to head back to town or rank club etc "maybe not so much in Dublin" How much would you need to earn per hour at 3am fri sat night to cover costs etc and yes at the end of the week to have money for dare i say it my family and i.Every business is there to make money we dont do it because we love all the drunks and abuse we get.Do you give out to the bar man because of the price of a pint knowing that you can make a home brew for a couple cent a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mairt wrote:
    Please accept the award for the most intelligent post today :rolleyes:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/pictures/stfu-big.png

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement - I'll strive to maintain this high standard:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

taxi drivers are a mixed bag,generally i find as a pedestrian when crossig the road or in my own car they are very ignorant and think they own the road.
    secondly you have bad drivers like the one my brother had.town to my house is about 13 quid,this driver didnt put on a meter and charged something scandelous,just over 20 quid.my brother gave him a tenner and asked him where his meter was,then got out of the car.
    other times you meet ones that are nice local lads and would round down a fair like ''dont worry about the 20 cent'' etc and take you to your door up your lane at no extra charge.
    but i agree that people in things like bars,restaurants,etc shouldnt get tips.ive worked as a waiter and have had some generous tips and it was nice of course,but i still was just doing my job.
    i went out for my friends bday to dinner and the waitress was a middle aged woman with a sour look who couldnt answer questions about the menu,not because she didnt have the knowledge im sure but because she thought we were idiots who the answer wouldnt make a bit of difference to,and yet the place has a ''service charge'' and encourages a tip...such ****e if you had that carry on in england where the competition in business is fierce then businesses liek that would go right down the toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Banning spook is a bit lame. He wasnt being over the top but just using words that are used day to day in dublin.A childish banning really. For the record i hate taxi's and hate to give them extra but i cant be bothered to wait for my 80 cent change etc.

wexford12 wrote:
    What a thing to say lol so if he drives you fifteen mins there for 12euros remember he has to head back to town or rank club etc "maybe not so much in Dublin" How much would you need to earn per hour at 3am fri sat night to cover costs etc and yes at the end of the week to have money for dare i say it my family and i.Every business is there to make money we dont do it because we love all the drunks and abuse we get.Do you give out to the bar man because of the price of a pint knowing that you can make a home brew for a couple cent a pint.
    If I get a bus from city centre to my house I pay for the journey from city centre to my house, not both ways, which is what your suggesting I have to do for a taxi? That's a fair point for area's not as built up as dublin, but for dublin, I don't buy that as an excuse at all.

And no I don't complain to the bar man about the price of a pint, even though I also think it's too expensive, nor do I complain to a taxi driver about the cost of the taxi, I just pay it, but I personally think it's a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I get taxis regurlarly for work and for pleasure. I would 90% of time not tip.
    I would round up perhaps, and occasionally if they were particularly friendly, decent, didn't try too hard, and I had some change give them a euro or two.

A few things -
    Someone mentioned a figure of 30k odd for a taxi car -

"and lets get real here a car that will last a few years as a taxi you are talking 32,000 euro min."

are you taking the mick?

I got maybe 8 taxis last week., The average car age was 8-10years. Awful bangers, and cramped at that.

Also as taxi drivers pretty much always buy second hand cars I hazard to think what kind of car taxi drivers would be driving if they were to spend 32k on a second hand car...
    maybe
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=748201
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=244700
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=756450

Secondly someone whining about the loan they'd have to take out to set up as a taxi driver... come on

The fact is pretty much everything can be set off against tax. Considering most taxi drivers will reach 50k+ a year that means their expenses can be reduced by 41%. So 25k over a few years will actually cost 15k.
    And lets not forget the same for wear and tear allowances.

Then as for the whinging about drunks, junkies, etc. - work the day shift?
    Be more careful where/who you pick up - get into a different business.

Obviously there are enough people willing to give taxi-ing a shot, and if you're not, fair enough but stop fkkin moaning about the 'hazards' and 'hardship' of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

There are so many old banger taxis around.

I look at the number plate now, if its less than 2000 - I wait for the next.
    Smelly cabs who needs one.

Tips, I will give you a tip, never put light bulbs in your back pocket.
    I nearly always tip. Except for that time an ahole demanded he left a talk show on about prizon. Got out of that one 50 metres later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

cymro wrote:
    Banning spook is a bit lame. He wasnt being over the top but just using words that are used day to day in dublin.A childish banning really. For the record i hate taxi's and hate to give them extra but i cant be bothered to wait for my 80 cent change etc.
    Please read this before posting here again.
    If you are still unhappy about the banning, take you grievence to Help Desk or Feedback.

On topic. I rarely use taxis, but regularly use hackneys. There is a hackney firm in my town and a guy I grew up with is the controller most weekends. For the pure enjoyment of listening to him sing over the CB, I tip the drive one or two quid, even if it's just a €6 fare. He also has a cab for me when he says he will have a cab for me. Absolutely no bull****, unlike the usual 'yeah, 7pm no problem'. Cab arrives at 10.30 am the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I know many taxi drivers. I don't know any of them that have bought a brand new car straight out of the lot. Normally they get them in auction. For the price the car devalues just by putting the plate on it, you would be insane to do it.

As for tipping taxi drivers. If they go beyond their service for you then yea why not tip them. But if they are expecting a tip, well your more likely not going to get one.

The problem is there are a small few who are quite happy to gouge the customer and it is the honest taxi drivers who pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

worded wrote:
    I look at the number plate now, if its less than 2000 - I wait for the next.

What does this mean?
    Are these the old school taxi drivers who opposed deregulation? Just wondering....

Terry wrote:
    Please read this before posting here again.
    If you are still unhappy about the banning, take you grievence to Help Desk or Feedback.

On topic. I rarely use taxis, but regularly use hackneys. There is a hackney firm in my town and a guy I grew up with is the controller most weekends. For the pure enjoyment of listening to him sing over the CB, I tip the drive one or two quid, even if it's just a €6 fare. He also has a cab for me when he says he will have a cab for me. Absolutely no bull****, unlike the usual 'yeah, 7pm no problem'. Cab arrives at 10.30 am the following morning.

Its still a childish banning, If it was serious abuse fair enough but it was harmless .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

chump wrote:

Secondly someone whining about the loan they'd have to take out to set up as a taxi driver... come on

The fact is pretty much everything can be set off against tax. Considering most taxi drivers will reach 50k+ a year that means their expenses can be reduced by 41%. So 25k over a few years will actually cost 15k.
    And lets not forget the same for wear and tear allowances.

The wear and tear allowance for taxis was 40% for 2006 tax year which is quite generous. If you bought a new taxi for €40,000, you could write off €16,000 against your profits the first year, though its less following years.

Its the taxi drivers personal choice for a new or old taxi. New car, big repayments and very little value at the end of it or a cheap yet expensive car to maintain because of high mileage and abuse.

Though of course the tax allowances aren't much use if you have a low income. The amount of taxi drivers who take in 20/30k in Donegal and Derry is unbelievable.:D. Its a cash business just as plenty of others and hard to prove what is your actual income.

Taxi meters introduced in the last couple of years here have reduced the problem, but I've often seen the meter turned off!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

cymro wrote:
    Its still a childish banning, If it was serious abuse fair enough but it was harmless .:D
    I will point out the charter one more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

If your taxi is say €19.10 and you hand the driver a €20, do you expect change or just let him keep it? What are your general views on tipping the taxi drivers of this nation.

I would just throw him the twenty. It's nice to be nice etc. 90c can't buy anything anyway.

Terry wrote:
    I will point out the charter one more time.

What charter.? is it worth a read?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Here's a tip for all taxi drivers; next time you're eating a rasher sambo, try a little brown sauce on it MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;)

PS " Free the spookie one ".

• Advertisement

P.S. I just banned cymro for that sort of crap.

Spook_ie broke the rules and so did cymro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

micmclo wrote:
    What does this mean?
    Are these the old school taxi drivers who opposed deregulation? Just wondering....

reg plate of the car - not the taxi number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mairt wrote:
    It's worse here than New York City now.

Disagree, but let's face it the business is not quite as busy, yeah there's money to be made and more drivers available to make it. Still with an average Tax pay of < € 1k pa, that's a lot of incentive.

There are good guys with good cars and others with bangers, it ain't too difficult to decide on tipping.

Give the foreign guys a break, might be weak on directions but at least there learning with initiative and through a foreign language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

if a taxi driver works 8 hours thats 8 hours in a car often negotiating traffic and in and out of 1st gear - recall how you feel when you drive to Cork or galway .... then imaging getting back in and driving back to dublin....hardest part of low income taxi driving is the driving....the market is flooded, traffic brutal, abuse and danger, minimum wage work now..that simple;)

Advertisement