Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points question and no FPN

• 28-01-2015 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions regarding a court summons I have for February.
    I was observed speeding last June (which I accept), but having moved house to a new place 40km away in March never knew until I was sent a photo of my summons by an ex housemate the week before I was due in court in mid-January. After several fairly frantic phone calls to the garda station where the offence happened I managed to get the case adjourned until next month, as there was no way I could attend court 100km away from where I live at such short notice.
    I'm curious though that I was never sent a fixed penalty notice for what was a standard speeding offense, just a court summons dated late August. What's the legality of that and is that usual?
    I've contacted a solicitor and they're pretty confident that the judge will accept that I didn't know about this until after the summons, so I should only have to pay the initial fine and points, but I'm also wondering whether I'm liable for just 2 points and a fine, since 3 points for speeding was only introduced on 1st August?
    I would like to make clear that I'm not looking to 'get away' with anything, I accept that I was speeding!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,683 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

benjamin d wrote: »
    I'm curious though that I was never sent a fixed penalty notice for what was a standard speeding offense, just a court summons dated late August. What's the legality of that and is that usual?
    It's perfectly legal. You have no right to be given the option of avoiding prosecution by paying a ticket; the system is intended to make the state's job easier and cheaper by minimising prosecutions, not to benefit offenders. They can skip the issue of a ticket and move straight to prosecution if they wish.

I don't know how usual it is. I would have thought they would normally issue a ticket, unless the details of your offence are so egregious that they want to go straight to prosecution and argue for a heavy fine and a long ban. If that doesn't sound like your offence, then most likely this was an administrative glitch. Or, they did issue a ticket but your ex-housemates weren't so conscientious about sending that on to you as they were with the summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Thanks, it was just curiosity really. My ex housemates insist that's all I was sent. I went to the house to collect the letter.
    Regarding the points: all things considered and with everything going my way in court, I'd imagine my penalty will be two points rather than three given that that was the penalty at the time of the offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal. You have no right to be given the option of avoiding prosecution by paying a ticket; the system is intended to make the state's job easier and cheaper by minimising prosecutions, not to benefit offenders. They can skip the issue of a ticket and move straight to prosecution if they wish.

I don't know how usual it is. I would have thought they would normally issue a ticket, unless the details of your offence are so egregious that they want to go straight to prosecution and argue for a heavy fine and a long ban. If that doesn't sound like your offence, then most likely this was an administrative glitch. Or, they did issue a ticket but your ex-housemates weren't so conscientious about sending that on to you as they were with the summons.

I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement that the matter be dealt with by fcp before summons. I'll try and find the relevant legislation but if I recall, the wording states that a person "shall" be given a fixed charge penalty as opposed to "may" be given. And I have seen cases thrown out for this.

The ops issue would appear to be that his housemates were not dealing with his mail very well.
    benjamin d wrote: »
    Thanks, it was just curiosity really. My ex housemates insist that's all I was sent. I went to the house to collect the letter.
    Regarding the points: all things considered and with everything going my way in court, I'd imagine my penalty will be two points rather than three given that that was the penalty at the time of the offence?

Points are doubled when applied by a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

When I lived there there was always a neat stack of post for ex residents that never really got thrown out, so I do believe them when they say I didn't get anything else.
    Points are doubled when applied by a court.

So even if the judge completely accepts that I didn't know about the summons etc., he's legally bound to give me double points?

Advertisement