Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you ask for in the barbers?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I never really understood how to ask for a haircut in the barbers.

I was with my friend one day when I was about 12 and heard him ask for a 5 on top and 2 on the sides. Since then, thats what I get. Maybe a variation like a one on the side or a scissors on the top. If I ever wanted something different I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for.

For fellas into their style what do you go for? I assume most people would ask for two numbers like myself. Is this the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

2 or 3 on the sides depending on length, scissors on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

deadybai wrote: »

I was with my friend one day when I was about 12 and heard him ask for a 5 on top and 2 on the sides. Since then, thats what I get. Maybe a variation like a one on the side or a scissors on the top. If I ever wanted something different I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for.

For fellas into their style what do you go for? I assume most people would ask for two numbers like myself. Is this the case?

1 all over since I've started to lose it...The numbers refer to the length in mm the attachment on the razor yolk leaves behind....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Need a haircut at the mo. Mines always the same conservative instruction. Scissor cut all over, neat, bit shorter on sides and back than on top. Never seems to go too wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

1.5 back and sides, scissors messy look on top, enough to spike up but short enough to look professional. and pencil thin side burns thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

deadybai wrote: »

If you go into any decent barber, you can get a consultation from them. They can recommend what would be good for you and you could learn a bit of the lingo.

Instead of asking for a 2 on the sides, you could ask for a 2 blended into a 3, or a fade. So your hair on the back and sides will go from short to longer towards the top.

You can ask for a scissors cut on top, tell the barber how long. They should generally hold up your hair for you and say 'this much' and you go with the more or less approach.
    You can then ask to get it 'choppy' where they would angle the scissors and cut inwards towards the ends. Or get it 'thinned' where they use another thype of scissors to shred through your hair to take some of the weight out of it.

.....options are endless.

A place I've been meaning to go to is Cut & Sew, I actually went in one day and they were fully booked. Here's an example of thier work:

The guys there will automatically give you a consultation on what you want and what would suit you.

There are a few other places about Dublin like the Grafton Barber, Merchants Barber or the Waldorf Barbershop that are a bit more pricey than your average local barber shop, but you feel and see the difference notably.

The good news for you......if you do try something different and it doesn't sit well with you, you can always go for your 2/5 combo pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I always ask for a scissors cut only, short on back and sides and more messy on top.

Find somebody who cuts it well once and then retain them as your regular hairdresser. You can't put a price on finding someone you can trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Aidric wrote: »
    Find somebody who cuts it well once and then retain them as your regular hairdresser. You can't put a price on finding someone you can trust.

QFT.

This is an essential one. It's like finding a good solicitor or a good accountant or a good restaurant. A good barber, in whom you place trust, is a very good thing to have. I have my own regular barber who I always go to. Once every 4 weeks or so, to keep everything looking professional. He's brilliant and is worth every penny I pay for the cut. I've been going to him for at least 5 years now, if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I usually get a two on the back and sides and short on top. I've often contemplated getting a different style all together but never know what to ask for or how to ask it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Agree with what has ben said already. Find yourself a good barber and hold on to him.

Most barbers are well versed at the '2 at the sides and back, 5 on the top' thing, I mean I could probably do that after a few attempts myself. But if you want an actual haircut that is nicely tapered and involves proper scissor stuff there aren't that many around. There is a reason why it only costs a tenner I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Boskowski wrote: »
    Most barbers are well versed at the '2 at the sides and back, 5 on the top' thing, I mean I could probably do that after a few attempts myself. But if you want an actual haircut that is nicely tapered and involves proper scissor stuff there aren't that many around. There is a reason why it only costs a tenner I suppose.

Ya there isn't much involved in a blade cut and the price reflects that. The thing is a buzz cut doesn't suit everyone. If it suits you then you are probably better off investing in a set of clippers cause you'll marginally save in the long run.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, or cursed with fine hair, but I enjoy my trip to the hairdresser and kicking back for 45 mins in the hands of a trained and skilled professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Scissors cut all over. Haven't let a razor near my head in 10 years.

I keep it simple. Once it's not too short I'm happy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My regular barber has stopped cutting and become a rock star who is touring the USA at the moment. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

I simply say " Pensioner cut please"
    I've waited 66 years to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    My regular barber has stopped cutting and become a rock star who is touring the USA at the moment. :mad:

Haha I bet I know who you are talking about. Great barber and real nice dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

2 or 3 back and sides,nice bit off the top, all pointing forward, trim an inch off the beard, take your time, do it right son!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All sounds very complicated, lads. I just sit in the chair and ask Frank to take a month off.

Dancor wrote: »
    Haha I bet I know who you are talking about. Great barber and real nice dude.

Yep, Aido is a class act. I remember the days when he used to be an apprentice sweeping up my hair.

I am getting perilously close to that age where I will start asking for "A little off the floor please".

If in doubt of what to ask for - find pictures in a magazine or something that is close to what you want - and bring it with. Then see how close they can make them match :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

The "like I was never here haircut". Don't like too much of a change from before I went in. I hate that just out of hairdresser look. Best time for me is two weeks after the event. That's why I get scissor all over, leave it on the ear, messy on top, and thin it out on the sides where it gets thick. Have heavy dead hair. Secret is to go every 4-5 weeks and go to the same barber (female in my case). Have been going now for 12 years. followed her through 5 different saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ascii wrote: »
    The "like I was never here haircut". Don't like too much of a change from before I went in. I hate that just out of hairdresser look. Best time for me is two weeks after the event. That's why I get scissor all over, leave it on the ear, messy on top, and thin it out on the sides where it gets thick. Have heavy dead hair. Secret is to go every 4-5 weeks and go to the same barber (female in my case). Have been going now for 12 years. followed her through 5 different saloons.

Saloons? We call them 'pubs' over here. Also, following her through pubs sounds a bit stalkey.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I just ask them to tidy it up, an inch or so off all around and to thin it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Scissors only, other than tidying the neck etc. Nothing too short prefer there to still be flow on top. Same barber for 13 or 14 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Do any of you tip your barber?

nc6000 wrote: »

I would on occassion. If I was getting a beard trim as well, i would always throw in a few euro extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I always give him a fiver, a bit more around xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

3 on the back and sides, 1 on the locks

Trim the top...

Tidy up the eyebrows and ears (said with a whisper)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

4 back and sides, with about an inch of hair to be kept on top. No gel, I'll style it when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

€9 for a cut...leave the change of a tenner.

Everyone seems to leave him the change.. Wish I got 10% tip in my job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

2 on the back and sides, and a decent trim on top, but nothing too baldy.

I always tip even though I go to different places all the time. Last time I got it cut, it was by a girl who must have been four foot five. She needed a stool to reach my albeit seated six foot three head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

A Hindu Curry, Steak and Chips, and a glass of Coke.

Advertisement