Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi extender

Options
  • 23-11-2015 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

The current range struggles to reach the upstairs bedroom. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Davy wrote: »

Reduced to £13.99 on Amazon Lightning deal right now (for next 3hr or so)
    .... just bought one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Furzy wrote: »
    .... just bought one!

Feck it. Need one in all.
    Are they good?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

.... just bought one!

Hello Furzy. I am thinking of investing in one of these also. What was your experience with it? And you a happy camper? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

twibbles wrote: »
    Hello Furzy. I am thinking of investing in one of these also. What was your experience with it? And you a happy camper? :)

I live in a 3storey house - Wifi modem on ground floor.

No signal on 1st floor on far side of house & none at all on 2nd floor.

Just got new modem for 360mbs from Virgin. (White modem) Probs with modem registration when installed - but Virgin reckon it was an isolated 'incident'.

Anyway, can receive wifi throughout house now.

If u don't want 360mbs permanently or the xtra €5 bill - after installation of new modem - downgrade speed later. They may not charge you the xtra €5 until end of contract - so dial 1908 if ur with Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Installed fine and all was well but several hours later all WiFi in the house dropped. Rinse and repeat several times! Finally decided that it was the UPC Cisco 3925 router resetting each time. So the answer is - it depends on whether your router is compatible. Maybe check reviews on Amazon to see if there's one for your router - might indicate whether it's compatible with your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

Something like that might be better, a powerline adaptor that give you a wifi signal from the 'receiver' end also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hatevodafone

eamonnq wrote: »

Something like that might be better, a powerline adaptor that give you a wifi signal from the 'receiver' end also.

+1000, well done eamonnq

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

The current range struggles to reach the upstairs bedroom. Any help much appreciated.

I got a cable from modem,up the wall,small hole in ceiling up to p.c. upstairs, had a wifi extender wasn't impressed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Installed fine and all was well but several hours later all WiFi in the house dropped. Rinse and repeat several times! Finally decided that it was the UPC Cisco 3925 router resetting each time. So the answer is - it depends on whether your router is compatible. Maybe check reviews on Amazon to see if there's one for your router - might indicate whether it's compatible with your router.

Thanks for your reply Furzy. That's interesting. I must check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I found the guys in Power City pretty helpful and bought one for a friend there - no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pistolero

Hi, I am having signal issues in a garage I use as an office, it is on a separate circuit board to the house. I
    bought a Technomate TM-500 HP WIFI and was advised that this would solve my issue. A solution that utilised the home wiring was not suitable because of the separate circuit. I an using UPC with a Cisco router. I cannot connect this device to my router. The very scant instructions suggest it is simply a matter of powering up the nit, pressing a button and then the WPS on the router. This did not work. The other alternative instruction are confusing to say the least and possibly suggest I need a second unit!. I am using a Mac with no ethernet connectivity and although the unit shows up on the network map it will ot accept the supplied passwords on the unit or the password for my router. I cannot find a more detailed instruction on the internet and any solutions would be appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I too had a Wi-Fi extender and it caused havoc, sometimes phones wouldnt work when on the extender signal. So I ditched it and went with a power line. Far superior solution and worth the extra outlay for the least amount of hassle. I work from home and my rdp never goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pistolero

Hi, thanks for reply.

Advertisement