Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Dont forget your Swimming togs just in case you want to use the pool and steam room in the hotel afterwards.Like Bren said, great craic you will meet loads of nice peeps enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

Sounds like it will be a rewarding experience all right. Can't wait.

One other thing you will also be fitted for your uniform which you will receive on your Phase 3 visit.Dont get rushed on the Cap size and the shirt size some of our guys ended up with ill fitting ones so beware.

What do you mean rushed ? Do they measure you by eye then ? 'Ah, your a 36' and throw you something kind of thing ?

One question - do you have to be clean shaven ? Ie if you have any sort of facial hair, do you have to shave it off before you start as all Garda appear to be clean shaven ??

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

murphy(cork)
    01-6662568/70/71
    gardareserve@garda.ie

as for the uniform measurement, things can be a bit hectic,the hat that fits you on the day may be a bit tight or a bit loose when you finally get issued.Mine was too tight,stretched it using two woodworking clamps over a period of days, fits very well now.If something is ill fitting when you get your uniform,bring it to their attention and they will sort you out.Its a large organization and consequently bureaucratic, so speak up on the day.

• Advertisement

you are allowed mustache but no beard. you must always be clean shaven in uniform, absolutely no stubble

Ok, so if i or anyone has a problem with any part of the uniform in Phase 3, say it to them and they'll sort it out - in time.

As for facial hair, there goes the goatie so. My girlfriend will be dissappointed as I was absolutly forbidden from shaving it off for the past two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

thanks for the number Pat, but just the next day they rang me saying there was a delay as I'm in college and have 2 addresses. they said i should have the medical soon and if i pass that will be in the next group on the 3rd of November..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi ian..
    well fair play..you finally got the call up..after that long wait..well i`m heading out tonight for my first 8hr duty..you will enjoy your time down in templemore,for your first weekend..and then your legal studies..followed by your second stint for further training,police self defence and your uniform..followed by,what stage i`m at,out on the beat..for 40 hours..then graduation..20 Oct...as for the facial hair..no beards or goatie`s. allowed..unless for some medical condition.. again well done to you mate..
    sparkie

Hi Sparkie,

Thanks a million. Certainly looking forward to starting all right, though as always still waiting on the email from them re details. Nothing changes. I'am not sure I can wangle a medical cert on the auld goatie thing (good idea though), so it might all have to go, ah well. Good luck on your patrol tonight, hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement

Pat you must be getting near the end of your 40hrs? I am finishing my final 6 tomorrow so I can put my feet up until the 20th Oct. Everybody who is attending Templemore enjoy.

Kieran, finished my 40 hrs last Friday,HQ says you can do more than 40 hrs if you wish but I'm like you and will wait until after Oct 20. Will then be assigned to a unit which will make life much easier,its difficult trying to remember all the names when you are moving between units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

Hi all,

Have been following this thread since it started now, and its good to see the interest. I am one of the lucky souls that went through the entire process an entire year ago, believe it or not, and am now finished my first years probation. I am stationed in Dublin, and am getting on grand. Was at a recent get together in Dublin with Reserves from all over the DMR and everyone is happy. It will take a while for you all to settle in, but it is worth it. The original pilot phase was a bit of an eye opener, but as with all new/pilot schemes it takes time for things to be tweaked.

Hope you all get as much out of the Reserves as I have. Am happy to answer any questions.

Geo,

By the way Ian, you have been waitin a while, nice to hear its paid off for you. Well done.

geo1212 wrote:
    By the way Ian, you have been waitin a while, nice to hear its paid off for you. Well done.

Hi Geo,
    Thanks a million. Really delighted and can't wait to get started. Havn't gotton a confirmation letter or email from them yet, just a phone call, but I'am sure it'll come eventually. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Hi Geo, any chance of meeting up sometime, I am still waiting for Medical but would like to have a chat if you are around. I am in Dublin 2 near Concert Hall and I will be attached to Pearse street, had chat with Super there. You could email me on ardadmin@gmail.com Thanks a mill

was chatting to some of the Pearse St. lads the other night, all is grand, they did day they were having more Reserves attached.
    Meeting up with any of you is more difficult than it sounds, I live in Louth/Meath so its hard to get into the City outside of rostered hours.

pat1187 wrote:
    Kieran, finished my 40 hrs last Friday,HQ says you can do more than 40 hrs if you wish but I'm like you and will wait until after Oct 20. Will then be assigned to a unit which will make life much easier,its difficult trying to remember all the names when you are moving between units.
    Pat we were assigned to our Units in early August and have been working with them as part of our 40 hrs training.I think because you in Kilkenny started your 40hrs so late that you would not have been able to get your hours in if you had been assigned to a unit as they would only have been on every 2nd weekend or so due to rostering.
    I guess you have been on most weekends so in that case.
    I have just completed my 40hrs and must say you learn something new everytime you turn up.It really is a learning curve but I am enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AN SEANDUINE

Email Invitations are gonna be released on tuesday or wednesday for this weekend.Travelling down on saturday myself from donegal wonder does any one need a lift from donegal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kizzie

Hi have been watching this post with interest as i was considering joining the reserves but i was just wondering what do the full time members of the guards think of you (not as a person) and what was your response to you as a member of the reserve force like especially in kilkenny as that isn't too far from where i would hope to be placed.

kizzie,
    response in Kilkenny was good overall. bye and large nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

query,
    In Kilkenny court recently a judge threw out a case where a motorist witnessed an incident of dangerous driving by a truck, followed him,observed more careless driving, took down details and took it to court only to be told by the judge that unless it was witnessed by a Garda there was nothing he could do about it. How does that affect us? In other words if we as reserves, going about our every day jobs see something on the road,will our word be accepted in court? As we cannot,per say,put ourself on duty as a regular member can, how would such an incident effect us?

Good Question Pat. The fact that our i.d's have to be left in the station is designed to stop us 'putting ourselfs on duty' outside normal hours. Not really sure is it a good thing or not. Probably is tho

How do people feel now about the recent shooting of a Garda last week?? You think that Bertie should consider paying Garda reservists ?

pat1187 wrote:
    query,
    In Kilkenny court recently a judge threw out a case where a motorist witnessed an incident of dangerous driving by a truck, followed him,observed more careless driving, took down details and took it to court only to be told by the judge that unless it was witnessed by a Garda there was nothing he could do about it. How does that affect us? In other words if we as reserves, going about our every day jobs see something on the road,will our word be accepted in court? As we cannot,per say,put ourself on duty as a regular member can, how would such an incident effect us?

The thing to remember, is that we effectivly are a member of the public, and only an active member of An Garda Siochana when on a rostered duty shift. I would say that although you could witness something happening and then pass the info to the Guards that arrived, say an RTA or something, then you could declare your self a Reserve member. At the very least, the Guards would take your word about what you saw, however I would also say it would depend where in the country you were at the time, and also if the Guards who attended were used to Reserve members being around. Its not unusual to see Reserve members on beats in the city most days now, but dont know about the rest of the country, say Westport or Tullamore for example.

Good Question Pat. The fact that our i.d's have to be left in the station is designed to stop us 'putting ourselfs on duty' outside normal hours. Not really sure is it a good thing or not. Probably is tho

Good point Murphy,

Truth be told, I didnt understand why we were issued with ID's in the first place, as we will never be involved in plain clothes duty in any case, why do we actually need them. When I queried this with a Sgt. I was told that you had to be able to identify yourself to a member of the public if they so requested, despite the fact that we would be in uniform. Not entirely sure if I would have the balls to approach a Guard in uniform and ask to see ID though, and as far as I can remember, in a year I have only had one person question my shoulder numbers/letters

How do people feel now about the recent shooting of a Garda last week?? You think that Bertie should consider paying Garda reservists ?

I have never been known to refuse money and I would not say no to payment ( other European reserve forces are paid, all be it not much, )English c.p.s.o.'s are not reservists so they don't count. The Circa report on German,Dutch,English and Canadian reserves done for the G.R.A.makes interesting reading. bye the way German reserves are armed.

I don't really care if the new minister decides to pay us or not, but being realistic the way its going he should.

Email Invitations are gonna be released on tuesday or wednesday for this weekend.Travelling down on saturday myself from donegal wonder does any one need a lift from donegal area.
    Hi. I got my email this morning all right, so its official. What do people recommend ? I presume you have to travel down on friday night in preparation for saturday, but where do people recommend to stay overnight ? Also I'll be traveling down from Louth probably via dublin if anyone wants a lift ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

The fact that our i.d's have to be left in the station is designed to stop us 'putting ourselfs on duty' outside normal hours.

Who said you have to leave id in the station?

• Advertisement

Where is the college in Templemore ? I'll be coming from the N7 direction so does anyone know where I go when I get there and do I need to bring a passport photo with me or do they do them on the day ?

Advertisement