Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting my wife's daughter

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about adopting my wife's daughter, we got married last summer.
    The problem would be the ex boyfriend. He has no idea I'm thinking about this, but this is not surprising as in the six years we've been together I've met him just once. He's not exactly helpful or responsible in the upbringing of his child. We might get the odd abusive phone call or text at 3 in the morning calling my wife names.
    We've given up trying to get payments from him, we've been to court 3 times and had three bench warrants issued against him but all to no avail.

Anyway all of that is probably for another thread, my question is I suppose. Am I wasting my time? Is there any point in pursuing this if the bio father is not willing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I'm no expert but I don't think there is anything that he can do about it.
    You don't need his consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

weiland79 wrote: »
    Is there any point in pursuing this if the bio father is not willing?

If he is the legal father, you need his consent.
    Best you start reading up: http://www.aai.gov.ie/index.php/domestic-adoption/step-parent-adoption.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Weiland

Unless he has legal guardianship, or has been seriously involved in the childs upbringing, not an issue in this case I think ;-), you don't need his consent but he must be informed about the proposed adoption and he will be given a limited time to apply to the courts for guardianship and/or have any objections he might have to the adoption heard by the Adoption Authority.

However the courts and the AAI must act in the child's best interests and, if shes old enough, the childs own wishes will also be taken into account.

If this guy is as big an a**hole as he sounds, its very unlikely you would be turned down because of any objections he might have and the worst he could do is slow things down a bit. So if this is what yourself, your wife and the little one want, then go for it.

There is a fair bit of work involved though, background checks on yourself, home visits by social workers, letting "daddy of the year" have his 2 cents worth etc. which can take time so the quicker you start...?

Your local HSE adoption dept should be able to get things moving for you or contact the adoption authority on 01-2309300.

Good luck

Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks guys thats all very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

weiland79 wrote: »
    Thanks guys thats all very helpful.

It will be a long road but hopefully the recent Constitution Amendment will make things a little easier

• Advertisement
Advertisement