Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Even if he were available, and forgetting about all the baggage he carries with him, when would he be fit to play? He hasn't trained with a club in months, and even if he was training himself while away, it probably wouldn't constitute match fit. However, it is hard to forget about the immense amount of baggage he has. Imagine the reception a Liverpool team containing Suarez ad Tevez would get at OT though? Nearly worth it just for the hatred I'd say, but hard to be in favour of it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Oliver Holt meets the REAL Craig Bellamy

Published 23:00 30/01/12 By Oliver Holt

Craig+Bellamy+interview

Craig Bellamy is sitting in his flat in Liverpool. The place is spotless and austere.
    The television is on. Novak Djokovic is talking but the sound is turned down.
    Bellamy is talking, too. The intensity is turned up.
    He is speaking about something that broke his heart. Later, it turns out it was not the only thing.

Until a couple of months ago, the Liverpool forward says, he was so stressed about the fear of failure and the shame of losing that he could not remember the last time he had enjoyed playing a football match.
    Then the tragedy of the death of his great friend and mentor, Gary Speed, made him reassess his life and a profound change swept over him.
    “People say, ‘If you take the anger out of Craig Bellamy, he would only be half the player,” Bellamy says. “It’s b******s. I know that now.
    "You know what, I’d be a better player. I would be actually thinking more rationally.”
    Through much of the last five years, he has sought fulfilment in helping others but in the last eight weeks he has come to accept that he must also learn to help himself.
    “The lads I played football with on the street when I was a kid in Cardiff were as good as me,” Bellamy says, “and in many ways my career is due to them.
    “But I had my parents. I had the dedication of my father to take me from A to B. He tried to do it for others but it’s very difficult to be other people’s parents.
    “It sort of broke my heart a little that those lads haven’t enjoyed what I’ve enjoyed.”
    It took him a while but Bellamy found a way to banish that sadness. Five years ago, he flew to Sierra Leone to visit a friend working in Kono in the north of the country.
    It transformed his life.
    “I had always wanted to get involved in charity work in the UK but going to Sierra Leone made me think, ‘We’re okay’,” Bellamy says.
    “These kids have nothing. They weren’t playing with footballs. They had rolled up socks or oranges, but their love for the game is what we had 20 or 30 years ago.
    “Very rarely do you see kids playing football on the street here any more. Sierra Leone just brought that back and made me think ‘I’d like to do something here.’”
    What Bellamy did is the subject of a documentary which will air on ITV4 on Tuesday evening, while he is trying to help Liverpool beat Wolves at Molineux.
    What he did was pour more than £1.2m of his own money into a football academy for young players outside the capital, Freetown, that houses, provides for and trains 20 promising footballers and will have soon have room for 20 more.
    Unicef increased the scope of his project.
    Together with Bellamy, they established the Craig Bellamy League for youth teams across the country. They started a girls’ league and a team for amputees maimed in the civil war.
    “That I’ve been able to help people in a worse situation gives me more satisfaction than anything football’s been able to give me,” Bellamy says.
    “At 22, 23 would I have been able to do this? Of course not. I’m older and I’m financially secure, but that means little to me.
    “I’m aware of my value as a player of course. But do I need to buy a holiday home that I’m only going to use two weeks every year? Course not. It’s a waste. Why not give the money to people who could do with it.
    “It took a while to convince me to do the documentary. I don’t do this for people to have a different opinion of me. That’s not too important to me.
    “I realised I had to do this for me to sustain income. Unicef are moving on to other projects and for me to give more children an opportunity I had to be realistic that this cannot keep coming from my pocket.
    “I will keep funding the academy but we are going to rely on charitable donations for the youth league, the women’s league and the amputee team.
    “I have put a lot of money into the project in Sierra Leone but every time I go over, I would spend again.
    “I get thanks when I’m over there but, if I’m honest, I need to thank them more for what they’ve done for me as a person.”
    Despite the satisfaction he gained from his work in Sierra Leone, Bellamy found it hard to draw fulfilment from playing professional football.
    Then, on November 27 last year, the news broke that Speed, then the Wales manager, had committed suicide at his Cheshire home.
    Bellamy missed that day’s game against Manchester City and the staff at Anfield, concerned that he was bottling things up, urged him to seek help from sports psychologist, Steve Peters, who also advises stars like Sir Chris Hoy.
    Bellamy is still struggling to come to terms with Speed’s death, which he can only refer to as ‘what happened’.
    In the two-hour conversation at his apartment, it was too painful for him even to mention Speed's name.
    “He wasn’t just a former teammate,” Bellamy says. “He was my idol in football. He was everything I tried to become. I spoke to him once a week for the last 10 years.
    “But I get to see his kids. I speak to his kids every couple of days which is good because they remind me so much of him.”
    Peters, who has written a book called The Chimp Paradox about the struggle between the rational side of the brain and the rage that comes from our primitive origins, has helped him put his search for achievement in the game into context.
    “I have realised a lot more stuff since what happened,” Bellamy says. “Every time I play a game, do I think about it? Of course I do. Do I think about it most nights? Of course I do.
    “It is difficult but at the same time it has helped me discover a lot about myself. Steve Peters has made so much sense. Basically we are all chimps. The human side is at the front of our forehead but the chimp is the part that lashes out.
    “When I play, I am completely chimp-orientated. Why can’t I watch myself play a day later? Because that’s not me. I hate it. I hate watching how I confront the ref. I don’t like that side of me.
    “It goes with who I am. There has always been this Jekyll and Hyde. I have had the chimp fighting me.
    “Do you know how many times I have wasted energy over thinking about a decision and preventing me doing something two seconds later because I was still thinking about what just happened?
    “I have always been told ‘that’s who you are and to play well, that’s what you’ve got to be like’. But if you see the top athletes, they are not like that. Do you know why? Because the other part of their brain, the computer, takes over.
    “I’ve always had this crazy thought that I have to win something, otherwise my career’s a complete failure. It’s ridiculous. Will a trophy change me as a person? No. Will it make me a better player? No. So what the hell am I worried about.”
    Bellamy credits the work he has done with Peters for getting him through the two legs of the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City.
    Bellamy scored the decisive goal in the second leg at Anfield last week and has been in some of the best form of his career.
    “The support of the manager, the players and the fans at Liverpool and the stuff with Steve Peters is responsible for my form at the moment,” Bellamy says. “It has had a huge impact.
    “I have been in a lot of semi-finals. But I have been injured in a lot of them. In the play-offs with Cardiff last year, I pulled my hamstring after 15 minutes of the first game. I believe it was because of the tension.
    “I have been aware of opportunities to work with sports psychologists before but it was something I was afraid of. I was doing all right as it was. Don’t mess with it. Don’t rock the boat. It was probably due to what happened as well.
    “What I’m doing with Steve Peters is not about me becoming a better footballer. I’m not interested in that. If it helps my football, then great. If it helps me after football, that’s more important.
    “If it helps me deal with not being able to fall back on football, to enjoy my life, my wife, my kids, stop stressing over things that I don’t have...
    “If I’d carried on the way I was going... I was just torturing myself day in, day out. What happens when I finish, thinking everything is just a waste of time, everything I’ve done in football? No-one else is believing this but I am.
    “I’ve always listened to people talking about winning - win this, win that - but I’ve done more than I could have dreamed of in my career. I’ve already won.
    “The two things I ask my kids after they have played a game are, ‘Did you enjoy it’ and ‘did you do your best’ but I wasn’t asking myself the same questions.
    “It’s just that we get taught ‘you must win this, you must do that’. It’s rubbish. Be thankful for what you’ve done. Keep trying hard. Don’t let it ruin your life. I’ve done that for too long.”
    CRAIG BELLAMY is agonising about whether to retire from international football after the tribute match to Gary Speed between Wales and Costa Rica next month.
    Speed died last November after leading a resurgence in the Wales national team and he has been succeeded as manager by Chris Coleman.
    “I don’t know whether I’ll play on for Wales,” Bellamy said. “I do think it’s going to be difficult for me to play because of the impact of what happened.
    “I am committed to the Costa Rica game and then it might be my last. I’m not too sure. It might be but it might not. There are a lot of people I need to talk to.
    “Wales has meant everything to me. It has been the highlight of my career. I believed in him that much as a manager and I believed in him that much as a person, I actually thought we were going to qualify for the World Cup.
    “I wanted him to have that satisfaction as well because I saw how hard he tried for Wales and how hard he played. To try to qualify and him not be there, I don’t know.”
    CRAIG BELLAMY insists he was just ‘having fun’ with Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker following the players’ bitter war of words at the Reebok Stadium ten days ago.
    Reo-Coker and Bellamy clashed angrily on the pitch during Liverpool’s defeat and Reo-Coker said after the match that he had no respect for the Liverpool forward.
    “Reo-Coker behaved like an idiot,” Bellamy said. “I was only messing about. It was just comical. I was actually laughing about it with Zat Knight because Reo-Coker had gone.
    “He was saying, ‘See you down the tunnel’ and I was laughing because we go down separate tunnels there anyway.”
    Bellamy said he spoke to sports psychologist Steve Peters about the incident and confessed he had been involved in an argument.
    Peters asked him if he had lost control. Bellamy said he hadn’t.
    “If you watch, I wasn’t the aggressor,” he said. “I was having fun. I wasn’t letting it get to me.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It would be 100% worth it just to see the reaction at OT if Tevez and Suarez ran out on the pitch together as a strikeforce. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I mentioned yesterday the little Welsh ankle biter is on ITV4 Tuesday 9 pm in Sierra Leone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Wow, a forward line of Suarez, Tevez and Bellamy! Stop the madness now please :P

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Drumpot wrote: »
    Most fans that know anything about football, know that the majority of fans of any club are usually tarnished by the few.

The above post sounds exactly like the kind of response Blackburn and their fans got in 1995 when they lost at Anfield but won the league and shows the deep resentment/rivalry between United and Liverpool. My point is that City v Pool games are not nearly as competive (especially among fans) as United v Pool games that are a completely differant beast.

I was at a United v Liverpool game at Old Trafford and even as a United fan I was intimidated by some of the guff by the United fans. My dad's friend whos a pool fan, vowed never to goto a Liverpool v United game at Anfield after his experience. . I was also at United v Liverpool at Cardiff in mid 00s (stuck in the pool end) and the banter is seldom innocent like Dalglish likes to suggest.

Incidentally, I have been at Old trafford (Bolton game), where there was trouble in the away stands and the police were beating down a bunch of fans. There was a huge police presence after the game and the Bolton fans were shipped very quickly out of the ground. Nothing was said on tv (there is a good PR spin being done) and I know people who have similar stories.

It might be less aggresive then what went on in the 80s but its still disgusting rage none the less. . There is something wrong with the culture of soccer as if you goto rugby or GAA games you can see rival fans happily mingling without trouble. I blame the culture of cheating that starts from the top, it just attracts and excuses bad actions/incidents.

Hmmm so you didn't see This last week then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

GAA is full of skangers these days, I can't remember the last time a soccer ref got kidnapped or locked in his car boot.

mike65 wrote: »
    GAA is full of skangers these days, I can't remember the last time a soccer ref got kidnapped or locked in his car boot.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can't see this Tevez thing happening but would it be something that would appeal to him just to pee Utd & Fergie off?

Personally, would prefer to see Carroll stay and become a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tevez on loan till the end of the season if it were available would be a no brainer to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Liverpool have apologised for including footage of the fan who allegedly performed a racist gesture in their offical website video highlights of the FA Cup clash against Manchester United at the weekend.

Highlights of the match on the club website featured the incident, in which a fan apparently made monkey gestures at a player. The footage remained on the website for over 48 hours before being removed on Monday.
    "We can confirm that footage was mistakenly included in the highlights package that appeared on the website," a club spokesman told the BBC.
    "It should not have been included and we are sorry it happened.
    "It was removed immediately when it was brought to our attention."
    A 58-year-old man from Bournemouth was arrested on Sunday and has now been bailed pending further inquires into the incident.

Source

For ****s sake.
    The hiring process at LFC should be stepped up a few gears, so should the firing.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Tevez on loan till the end of the season if it were available would be a no brainer to be honest.

Would there really be any point gettin a loan of him? Like he hasn't played since what, september was it?? would prob take him a while to get fit and the season is half over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The-Rigger wrote: »
    For ****s sake.
    The hiring process at LFC should be stepped up a few gears, so should the firing.

When is Bouremouth in Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »

This tweet gave me a laugh!
    Carlos Tevez has been quoted as saying he would prefer to sign for a club that is outside of Europe. Liverpool are now favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Our transfer window beings in 2 minutes people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would there really be any point gettin a loan of him? Like he hasn't played since what, september was it?? would prob take him a while to get fit and the season is half over.

A half fit Tevez would still be better than most of our attacking options save for Suarez and Bellamy. A fully fit and motivated Tevez would probably be better than any of our attacking players. If there is even a sniff of a chance at getting him on a loan deal, the club should jump at it.

Have a feeling that Tevez would arrive with a point to prove, and with four months to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The guy has also gotten a year younger since he was arrested. :D

When the guy is a rasist?
    It's only 183 miles, let's not split hairs.

Kess73 wrote: »
    A half fit Tevez would still be better than most of our attacking options save for Suarez and Bellamy. A fully fit and motivated Tevez would probably be better than any of our attacking players. If there is even a sniff of a chance at getting him on a loan deal, the club should jump at it.

Have a feeling that Tevez would arrive with a point to prove, and with four months to do so.

But would ya not be worried about his tendency to throw the head? I know its only a few months but as i said he could poison a few of the younger lads with his carry on ya know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭GBX

But would ya not be worried about his tendency to throw the head? I know its only a few months but as i said he could poison a few of the younger lads with his carry on ya know...

Nah, wouldnt be worried about that ... Sure Suarez could do that for him :D

• Advertisement

Just reading up on our latest partner's, 3K Battery...
    wrote:
    The 3K Battery company has become known in many parts of the world through their creative promotional outlets. In the United States, the 3K Battery name may be attributed more towards boxing than batteries, as TSB contracts Thai boxers to sponsor their products. The fighters, in turn, change their names to promote the brand [2]. Sponsor fighters often fight under the last name of "3K Battery". The 3K Battery is a common Thai boxing name and parallels Sor Vorapin, a name which several fighters share due to their affiliation with the Sor Vorapin Muai Thai and boxing gym

3K Battery F.C coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can't see this Tevez thing happening but would it be something that would appeal to him just to pee Utd & Fergie off?

Personally, would prefer to see Carroll stay and become a success.

Tevez could arrive on loan without it affecting Carroll's opportunity to be a success. If anything it would help Carroll as it would shift the focus off him a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭mormank

I'm just surprised nobody tried to turn this into something about Carroll :D

Kudos on the Louis CK reference though, think that was the first time I have seen him mentioned on Boards. :)

Wow. That is quite an honour, first ever mention of Louis CK on boards. I'm speechless. Was only introduced to him about a year ago but have watched everything he has released once or twice since. From his stand up to his two season show louie there is gold to be found, gold i tell you!
    I'm kinda hoping that Liam Neeson is around. Seems just the man for a trip into the territory of Wolves:D

Don't you mean Kevin Costner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mormank wrote: »
    Wow. That is quite an honour, first ever mention of Louis CK on boards. I'm speechless. Was only introduced to him about a year ago but have watched everything he has released once or twice since. From his stand up to his two season show louie there is gold to be found, gold i tell you!

Don't you mean Kevin Costner?

Where have you been? Have you not seen the ads everywhere for The Grey, it even had a big trailer last week before the Arsenal V Man Utd

Was just looking at that tunnel cam from the utd match. Does anyone know what those forms are that the u21 players have to hand in?

Edit: looks like it's just henderson and shelvey who have to hand over something when they arrive..strange.

Putting getting tevez on loan into perspective it seems like a smart movie for city.

We pay 2/3 of his wages for the 5 months and take points off united/spurs and their laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭mormank

Where have you been? Have you not seen the ads everywhere for The Grey, it even had a big trailer last week before the Arsenal V Man Utd

Oh right, of course. I was thinking Dances with wolves...sry I dont watch much tv and watch most of the footie on adless streams....

ASOT wrote: »
    Putting getting tevez on loan into perspective it seems like a smart movie for city.

We pay 2/3 of his wages for the 5 months and take points off united/spurs and their laughing!

He gets injured and they are up **** creek.

His wages are apparently 250k per week? We'd ruffle some feathers if we were paying £170k sterling to him for his stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He gets injured and they are up **** creek.

His wages are apparently 250k per week? We'd ruffle some feathers if we were paying £170k sterling to him for his stint.

I suppose. But one could only hope.

*shrugs shoulders and goes back in the corner*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

daithijjj wrote: »

i was completely in a trance for 15 minutes watching that

I suppose. But one could only hope.

*shrugs shoulders and goes back in the corner*

ah I'm only joking. It's 50/50 imo, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

eldwaro wrote: »
    i was completely in a trance for 15 minutes watching that

Yea, the one at City was good as well, i think City put them up for free, not sure, ones at Anfield are for subscribers to .tv only i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He won't be loaned. City have made it clear and it's a point of principle at this stage. If they can't offload him, they will keep him till the summer and continue to refuse to pay his wages due to his breach of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If City were to agree to a loan, it would be to an Italian club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

For Wolves:

Reina

Johnson---skrtel---agger---enrique

adam----henderson

shelvey
    downing

kyut
    carroll

no put out the best team available.... is Gerrard injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Tevez stuff is a non story lads. Not a hope in hell of it happening. The media is just throwing **** around at this stage, going to be a quiet day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

mada999 wrote: »
    no put out the best team available.... is Gerrard injured?

There was a rumour that he had hamstring issues and thats why he was subbed on Saturday.

Me thinks he was just taken off to give him some rest, he played 2 big games in not much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

So we can sit back today safe in the knowledge that there will be no players coming or going....or can we (yes, it will be a quiet day all round)!!!

• Advertisement

Vudgie wrote: »
    So we can sit back today safe in the knowledge that there will be no players coming or going....or can we (yes, it will be a quiet day all round)!!!

Nothing is going to happen first team wise today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Tevez stuff is a non story lads. Not a hope in hell of it happening. The media is just throwing **** around at this stage, going to be a quiet day.

I think we'll get him on loan for the rest of the season. Just a hunch. I know I'm being unrealistically optimistic, but I don't think they see us as a threat so, just like Adebayor, I reckon they might leave him go on loan.

I'm getting the "Welcome to Liverpool" banner ready. How long before he gets homesick and moves to Everton though?!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nothing is going to happen first team wise today.

I agree with you, I have not been inspired by any of the names rumoured during January anyway and I think that we are wise not to repeat the mistake of adding bodies to the squad only to have to loan them etc to get rid of them in two years time.

Seamu$ wrote: »
    I think we'll get him on loan for the rest of the season. Just a hunch. I know I'm being unrealistically optimistic, but I don't think they see us as a threat so, just like Adebayor, I reckon they might leave him go on loan.

I'm getting the "Welcome to Liverpool" banner ready. How long before he gets homesick and moves to Everton though?!!! :D

You help sustain the media's flurry every Transfer window. :) Hope you're right obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I doubt Tevez is professional enough to have kept his fitness level. He's not a solution to our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Tevez, Mascherano and Cavani please and ty.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Very funny watching sky trying to big up deadline day when nothing is happening what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Palace have just turned down £7million for Zaha from Bolton :eek:

Interest must be coming from other clubs .

Fits our philosophy .

could we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mixednuts wrote: »
    Palace have just turned down £7million for Zaha from Bolton :eek:

Interest must be coming from other clubs .

Fits our philosophy .

could we ?

He's like Ryan babel with a worse touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

He's like Ryan babel with a worse touch

That sounds somewhere along the lines of an Emile Heskey?? With a bit more pace and access to a helicopter perhaps

ush wrote: »
    I doubt Tevez is professional enough to have kept his fitness level. He's not a solution to our problems.

:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong - Tevez is an intensely dislikeable character who hasn't managed to shake off the negative aspects of his upbringing. Apparently he is extremely rough around the edges, doesn't know how to behave, etc.

But as far as his athleticism and football is concerned, he has never been anything less than the model professional. Whatever about off the football field, he is a warrior when he steps onto it. I would be highly confident that he has been looking after himself well enough that a couple of games and two weeks of training will have him back at full tilt.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement