Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for a NQT

• 18-11-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have recently graduated as a Primary school teacher but am finding it difficult to get work at the moment. I'm just wondering if there are any teachers out there in a similar position who can offer some advice? I'm wondering what my options are in terms of social welfare / job seeker's allowance. Any advice would be much appreicated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

I'm in the same boat, ahoy!

Make a list (using schooldays.ie) of any and every primary school within a one hour drive of you and go out there and get them! Make it your business to meet principals and sell yourself. Get on TxtaSub and the INTO version - SubSearch

In the event that you have already done all of this and grabbing everything that you can (it's dog eat dog out there!) and you still are twiddling your thumbs, make sure you tell the Social Welfare that you are in casual employment with the Dept of Ed, and they'll cover you for those times when the earnings are lean (you're allowed to work a number of days a week before they decrease the full payment). You just fill in the docket system, easy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swilsa

Thank you very much! I have been cv/business card distribution since sept, it's not easy! Some schools don't seem interested at all. I am having some luck however with text a sub... It's a real race against the clock to be the first caller!

If you would have the information handy and if you don't mind my asking, what is the amount given as a casual worker for the dept.of ed? (Am really new to all of this, sorry!)

Advertisement