Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immune system

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Im a thirty something male and have gotten a chest infection 3 times inthe last few months.Ive also gotten a dry throat and head cold.
    Obviously this isnt normal and im normally quite healthy.
    Im also aware this season is unprecedented in the viruses and infections going around but i seem to have got them repeatedly.

Before anyone asks i went recently for the whole HIV etc tests and was all clear.Just wondered have i got a particularly sh1t immune system or has any1 else suffered from repeated illnesses?
    Not looking for med advice just wanted to compare.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you smoke, or do you live with smokers?

Do you get regular aerobic exercise?

This year I moved out of a house which had two smokers, and I've been getting regular exercise (5 days/week). I've never had a year with less sickness, even when all around me are coughing and spluttering.

You are right, there seemed to be a lot of colds flying around this year, so maybe you're just unlucky, or I'm just lucky, but there are definitely steps you can take to strengthen your immune system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hey,

There's an illness called Brucellosis (caused by a bacterium called Brucella sp.) which can give recurring infections over the space of months or even years. It might be worth looking at.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rondog

Hey

yea i get enough exercise I just seem to have been very unlucky this xmas.Ive heard of a few people with recurrent infections so i dont feel too bad,i think i got p1ssed off not being able to train and just the illnesses got me down.

Im keeping an eye on myself now and taking vitamins-berocca etc to build up my IS.If i get anything else this side of summer Ill defo be looking into that Brucellosis thoery as im a healthy enough person.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

you can weaken your immune system if you train too much without enough rest and nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Thats what i think the problem was along with training before youve fully recovered from an illness

• Advertisement
Advertisement