Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbits

Options
  • 25-04-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Rabbits have exploded in a few area's around me, I drove about 40 acre's tonight and shot 28. Half were head shots so they're going into the freezer for the pot, the rest will go to the dogs. I'm going back out to a neighbouring farm in the morning where the crops have taken a right hammering from them.

Just wondering is it like this anywhere else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

Kiltris wrote: »
    Rabbits have exploded in a few area's around me, I drove about 40 acre's tonight and shot 28. Half were head shots so they're going into the freezer for the pot, the rest will go to the dogs. I'm going back out to a neighbouring farm in the morning where the crops have taken a right hammering from them.

Its good to see them back--hope the myxi does not get a grip on them too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

In some area yeah it's boomed but so has the mixxy so it's slowly spreading about.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

Yes a lot on my training ground to many at the mo so i'm shooting a few for the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭sniperman

loads on 3 of my permissions,shot 19 this mourning,gave them to a lad with greyhounds,he is well pleased,said he is going to get me a few new permissions,so im well pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

It's great to see them back around and even showing up in places that ive never seen them. I got up at 5.30 this morning and headed off, but changed my plans and decided to walk and shoot off the sticks instead of driving in the jeep.

The first farm I visited is a 120 acre dairy farm which is divided by a river, the bunnies are concentrated on the south side of the river so thats where I hit for, 30 shots fired, 23 rabbits accounted for and I have to say they were very plentiful. There is a small 2/3 acre field just below the yard and when I arrived I counted 12 rabbits on one small stretch of the lower ditch, I shot 4 there. By the time I had done a lap of the bounds ditch (50mins) there was 11 rabbits back out grazing in the same spot, got 3 more. The farm offers lots of great vantage points and plenty of chances at a few long shots with the .22

The second farm is a tillage farm on the outskirts of a small village, again the rabbits were concentrated on one side of the road where there is about 35 acres divided into 3 fields, I have been calling here regular enough and seem to have the population under control. I even made a concious decision this morning to not call anymore, the farmer is happy with whats left and neither me or him want to see them wiped out. I fired 4 shots there and accounted for 4 rabbits.

The third farm is a large dairy farm (300acres+). Once again on this farm its one piece of land thats badly effected, about 60 acres, divided into 7 fields but it's really only the back 4 that are being damaged. The amount of grazing and ditch damage that the rabbits have done here is like nothing I've seen before. All the ditches have collapsed, they even have ground burrows out in the field which I'm sure are linked into the ditch. 40 shots fired, 31 rabbits accounted for. The farmer claims that the very last field (the smallest one) wasn't grazed by an animal since last september but yet to look at it while ago you would say there was sheep in it all winter.

Total tally for this morning was 58, not a bad mornings work and such a great morning to be out in the field. Now to start skinning etc.

• Advertisement

Good to see they're not going to waste. Only one permission I have wants em totally gone because he has racing horses. But problem is he has the horses out a lot of the time and they get spooked too easy so nearly have to book a day to do it.

I haven't seen any mixy around me, how long have you been seeing it about with?

I haven't seen any mixy around me, how long have you been seeing it about with?

Seen it just after new year but not as bad as now

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Shot five myself the other night and seen a good few more after only going through a few fields. I was going to bring a few back with me but i noticed the eyes were kinda sticky looking on them. Is this the mixo beginning to get hold of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭snipe49

kelslat wrote: »
    Shot five myself the other night and seen a good few more after only going through a few fields. I was going to bring a few back with me but i noticed the eyes were kinda sticky looking on them. Is this the mixo beginning to get hold of them?
    Did they seem thin.

• Advertisement

Sticky and kind of puffed out like eyelids puffed out and fur missing near eyes and ears???

Sticky and kind of puffed out like eyelids puffed out and fur missing near eyes and ears???

Sounds like it alright. That's a pity. I was chatting to a vet one day and he reckons that the rabbits will build up an immuntity to the virus over a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

im seeing rabbits all over the country but none near my place typical lol

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

That's it exactly. Some fur missing around the eyes and the eyes are slightly sticky but not turned white.They didn't seem overly thin, but weren't as alert as they should be. When numbers get plentiful the mixo always comes back.

That's it exactly. Some fur missing around the eyes and the eyes are slightly sticky but not turned white.They didn't seem overly thin, but weren't as alert as they should be. When numbers get plentiful the mixo always comes back.

That's the early stages of it. I managed to literally pick up a rabbit riddled with it last week. It's horrible to see and a waste aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Huge numbers around me at the moment - picked up a new permission as well so hoping to get out and take a few now this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi just wondering what would be best gun to shoot rabbits on my farm and the odd pigeon. Have a old shot gun here for crows but just want something small and handy

Hi just wondering what would be best gun to shoot rabbits on my farm and the odd pigeon. Have a old shot gun here for crows but just want something small and handy

valtra2 wrote: »
    for rabbits i use a .22lr with subsonics,dont shoot up trees with it,maybe an air rifle may suit more for pigeons;)

Why not shoot up a tree. Where would I find one cheap and in South east. If I have a license for shot gun will I have to get another for .22. Sorry do not know much about guns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You can not permitted shoot pigeons with a rifle and it is also reckless to fire a rifle in the air

Why not shoot up a tree. Where would I find one cheap and in South east. If I have a license for shot gun will I have to get another for .22. Sorry do not know much about guns
    As said above:)

Why not shoot up a tree.

:confused:

If you don't know where your bullet is going to stop then you DON'T LET IT FLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

:mad: Jesus wept!

You can not permitted shoot pigeons with a rifle

As a rule, you're correct, however in the case of pests the derogations allow it and wood or feral pidgeon in the capacity of pests, may be shot with a rifle.

Having said that, the derogations are expired as of last week however, so right now, you can't shoot any bird with anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

extremetaz wrote: »
    As a rule, you're correct, however in the case of pests the derogations allow it and wood or feral pidgeon in the capacity of pests, may be shot with a rifle.

Having said that, the derogations are expired as of last week however, so right now, you can't shoot any bird with anything at all.

When is the next one due to be released

hexosan wrote: »
    When is the next one due to be released

There's every chance it already has been and the NPWS site simply hasn't been updated - I just don't know where else to look for it.

Until I see the new one though I'll just stick to rabbits and leave the birds alone for a few weeks.

Jaysus they should really send a letter out about it if it's ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

extremetaz wrote: »

Jaysus they should really send a letter out about it if it's ended.

If you read the derogation the dates it's valid for are written on it.

Just rang them there now - new one is signed in but not yet updated to the site.

According to the lad I was talking to, the nationwide declarations are unchanged from last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement