Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycleways Cup

• 27-02-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Any info on this race?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

3 laps so for the A1/2s?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Drove down to Navan today in the snow thinking I'd decide when I got there if I'd race or not depending on conditions. By the time the race started it was snowing heavily, and 0 C!. There was slush lying on the road and snow collected at the sides of the road.

I didn't race, and while most adults can make their own decision on whether they think it's safe or not, I really wonder whether the race should have gone ahead or not in those conditions. Between dangerous road conditions and the wet and extremely cold air temperatures surely a call should have been made to call it off on safety grounds?

August will come and there'll hardly be a race to be found. The Cycling Ireland calendar is beyond ridiculous in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Raced the A3 today, didn't have a rain cape or any overshoes, so I called it a day at the end of the first of 2 laps. Possibly the most miserable I have ever been on the bike. It was 9C when I left Swords and 0C and a blizzard when I got to Navan! Race was well run, and bunch very well behaved, a few random crashes here and there, some lad managed to crash on the climb.

There should be some good blizzard condition pictures from the first 20km around later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not a day for a race especially up around Navan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

onimpulse wrote: »
    Drove down to Navan today in the snow thinking I'd decide when I got there if I'd race or not depending on conditions. By the time the race started it was snowing heavily, and 0 C!. There was slush lying on the road and snow collected at the sides of the road.

I didn't race, and while most adults can make their own decision on whether they think it's safe or not, I really wonder whether the race should have gone ahead or not in those conditions. Between dangerous road conditions and the wet and extremely cold air temperatures surely a call should have been made to call it off on safety grounds?

August will come and there'll hardly be a race to be found. The Cycling Ireland calendar is beyond ridiculous in my opinion.
    It was very lucky that it dried up somewhat after the first half hour.Personally I thought it too dangerous and advised my riders accordingly.Some started but most didn't and that was after signing on.Other people made a similar decision.There were no major issues that im aware of,but I think that was luck as opposed to anything else.I made a call,and am happy I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I'm still thawing out :p

No major hassles in the women's race AFAIK. The group split after about 15km, and I was in a grupetto all the way to the end (about 8 of us in total by the time we finished). My legs nearly fell off me crossing the railways tracks with 500m to go, never so glad to see a finish line!

Junior rider took the win from some serious competition. Very impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

QueensGael wrote: »
    I'm still thawing out :p

No major hassles in the women's race AFAIK. The group split after about 15km, and I was in a grupetto all the way to the end (about 8 of us in total by the time we finished). My legs nearly fell off me crossing the railways tracks with 500m to go, never so glad to see a finish line!

Junior rider took the win from some serious competition. Very impressive!
    Serves you right looking for a smoke on the hill from an innocent spectator lol.seriously fair play to all the girls.Real tough day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

The conditions were bad yes, but calling off the race in my opinion would have been extreme. Wasn't too bad after about 1/2 hour in and the roads were in great nic. Sure we finished in lovely Sunshine. I totally understand anyone making the call not to race but fair play to all in the A3 race, very well behaved, a safe race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 hillt0p

Raced the A4 today. Freezing, but conditions improved after approx 45mins. Anyone got any photos of the conditions at the start that they can share please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

greenmat wrote: »
    The conditions were bad yes, but calling off the race in my opinion would have been extreme. Wasn't too bad after about 1/2 hour in and the roads were in great nic. Sure we finished in lovely Sunshine. I totally understand anyone making the call not to race but fair play to all in the A3 race, very well behaved, a safe race.

The fact the organisers got lucky with it drying up doesn't meant it would have been extreme to call it off. There was no way to know at the race start how the weather conditions would be throughout the race.

Realistically, if riders safety was a concern to the organisers at all I'd like to hear them justify their decision to let the race go ahead. Road conditions were treacherous, Meath County council were out clearing roads and gritting at 2pm.. and it was safe to have a bike race at the same time? Madness.

If people want to go out for a spin off their own bat then let them off as far as I'm concerned but holding a race in those conditions is irresponsible. That said, most riders are adults and responsible for their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pmurp141

any results? nothing on stickybottle yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

1. Damien Shaw 2. Sean McKenna 3 and 4 were Sean Lacey and Eoin Morton.. not sure of the order, 5 was Stephen Murray and 6 was Robin Kelly.

First 5 were an early break... Shaw rode away from them to finish well clear on his own. Maybe a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

It was cold, not icy. There were plenty who didn't sign on, and more who dropped out mid-race (I'm one of them), but at no point did I feel in any danger. I cycled out to the race, and warmed up near the start - the lowest temp I recorded was 2℃. If the conditions had gotten worse, they could have always neutralised it.

Agreed on the calendar though.

Morton was 3rd.

onimpulse wrote: »
    The fact the organisers got lucky with it drying up doesn't meant it would have been extreme to call it off. There was no way to know at the race start how the weather conditions would be throughout the race.

Realistically, if riders safety was a concern to the organisers at all I'd like to hear them justify their decision to let the race go ahead. Road conditions were treacherous, Meath County council were out clearing roads and gritting at 2pm.. and it was safe to have a bike race at the same time? Madness.

If people want to go out for a spin off their own bat then let them off as far as I'm concerned but holding a race in those conditions is irresponsible. That said, most riders are adults and responsible for their own decisions.

They got lucky, true, but made the right call. If conditions had of deteriorated they could have suspended it mid race. I for one am glad I started and have that under my belt. I understand anyone who deemed it too dodgy to start but equally anyone who raced did so at their own risk and knew what they were letting themselves in for. I dressed well for the weather, more than ever before and only felt cold when warming down.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I thought I'd never get so cold as I was last year at the end of the Shay Elliott. I was wrong. Hands were so cold on the first lap it was hard to shift. Thankfully the sun came out by the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shaneward2004

@ the start today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Fair play to all who braved the conditions. Delighted to see Ciara Doogan showing her class in the women's race. She was under 16 last year. Yesterday's weather was what she's been training in most of the winter as Donegal has had it particularly rough this winter. Great to see a world class talent like her emerging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

As per above, I'm glad i got that race under my belt too. Was truly a hard mans race and I'm not really too hard to be honest. On the way to the start some clown of an ejit nearly knocked me down. Pulled out in an Audi and I'm 99% are he saw me saw me and I had right of way given I was on the main road, he accelerated hard yet came within 6 inches of me - scary moment. I should have slowed but thought he'd give me plenty of space since he was so keen to get out. Rode up beside him near the roundabout, knocked politely on his window and he completely ignored me. I guess he must have been having a bad day or something. Anyway, rant over.

Nearly missed the start. I was hanging around with the A3 group as I saw lots of orange numbers but the 1s and 2s were on the crest of the hill out of view. Made my way up and we were off quickly. Was glad I brought the turbo to warmup. I thought last week was bad weather wise but yesterday was worse. Had plenty of gear on me to keep me toasty but after 30secs my gloves were soaked through along with my shoes, i was fine apart from these 2 areas. Don't think much would have protected these areas yesterday in a bunch with spray everywhere. Anyone out there who had dry hands and feet please tell me what you were wearing Had to remove the glasses after 5 mins as visibility was worse with snow landing on them. The first 20 mins I was telling myself I'd do a lap and just peel off but I didn't know the route and how to get back to Simonstown and just kept going for 90km until my legs eventually failed me. The ride back to Simonstown GAA club was a long one and I had no feeling in my hands or feet, couldn't get into my pockets for food so just had to stop and remove the gloves which made things worse. I really hope its better weather for Newbridge.

On a side note, I lost a Camelback bottle yesterday in Kilberry at the turnoff for the R163. Had my name on it. Would be nice to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭1750W

buffalo wrote: »
    It was cold, not icy. There were plenty who didn't sign on, and more who dropped out mid-race (I'm one of them), but at no point did I feel in any danger. I cycled out to the race, and warmed up near the start - the lowest temp I recorded was 2℃. If the conditions had gotten worse, they could have always neutralised it.

Agreed on the calendar though.

Morton was 3rd.

Well put.

• Advertisement

@shaneward2004
    Thanks for the photo.

@pprendeville
    I saw a yellow bottle at the left hand side of the road in the vicinity of the traintracks near the finish. It could have been yours.

Any more photos out there?????

This just posted to Youtube. A3 finish. Very funny moment as the disgruntled cameraman films the winning Juniors crossing the line. You know who you are :)

Stickybottle site updated for Cycleways Cup. Can't post the link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I had cycled 30km over to Navan when it started to get heavy with snow. Sat about for an hour in wet clothes shiverring waiting for things to start, followed by another 10mins waiting on the side of the road for the A3 race to get started.
    Lasted about 20mins into the race and could not change gears or brake and constantly chattering/shaking with the cold, too dangerous. The cycle home was painful.

Big thanks to a UCD lad for a lend of his top yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I saw the weather forecast, remembered getting dropped on the hill last year, lit the fire and watched the rugby.

fair play to those who rode it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

slow wrote: »
    Fair play to all who braved the conditions. Delighted to see Ciara Doogan showing her class in the women's race. She was under 16 last year. Yesterday's weather was what she's been training in most of the winter as Donegal has had it particularly rough this winter. Great to see a world class talent like her emerging.

Watch this space for this girl, phenomenal prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

I had cycled 30km over to Navan when it started to get heavy with snow. Sat about for an hour in wet clothes shiverring waiting for things to start, followed by another 10mins waiting on the side of the road for the A3 race to get started.
    Lasted about 20mins into the race and could not change gears or brake and constantly chattering/shaking with the cold, too dangerous. The cycle home was painful.

Big thanks to a UCD lad for a lend of his top yesterday!

I feel your pain, i got about 6k into the race and had little to no feeling in my hands, and could barely see with the snow, so just packed it in, saw loads of people do the same before me, those decents were very dodgy with the snow and the spray from wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sunshine Rider

I took a jacket off an A1/A2 riderat the start not sure which club he was from seemed to have black and orange kit couldn't see him at the end of the race. Fair play to everybody that rode it was horrible conditions I couldn't even bring myself to sign on never mind race.

• Advertisement

More great photos from the day up on stickybottle.com

Advertisement