Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fit Studio

Options
  • 24-02-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm looking to get a bike fit done due to ongoing niggles, naggles and physio advice.

I'm leaning towards Bike Fit Studio but it's pricey enough...

Has anybody used them and do they deliver bang for their buck?

Thanks

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

fillup wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm looking to get a bike fit done due to ongoing niggles, naggles and physio advice.

I'm leaning towards Bike Fit Studio but it's pricey enough...

Has anybody used them and do they deliver bang for their buck?

Thanks

F

Might be worth checking out Aidan Hammond, I have gone to him before and was good service. How much does Bike Fit Studio cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Bike Fit Studio are good, they use the more scientific in approach Retul System.

I have also heard great things about Frank in Richies in Swords, and Aidan Hammond, both who do the fit in a more conventional manner.

FWIW I had mine done at Bike Fit Studio and am very happy with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

+1 for Frank in Richies Bikes in Swords. I had a fit done there and had no problems since

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Aidan Ryan in UCD bike shop did a fit for me a couple years back. very happy with it and very keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I went to both Aidan Hammond and Bike Fit Studio.

I can safely say that Bike Fit Studio are miles better than what Aidan can do. He's a nice guy, but his fit didn't compare to how I'm feeling now after going out to John and James in Bike Fit Studio.

I know they're pricey, but I'm a Cycling Ireland member so I got my €50 voucher for Bike FIt Studio, so it worked out at only €130 which is almost as cheap as the other manual bike fitters.

Are you a CI member?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

Thanks for the info guys -

I had seen plenty of recommendations for Aidan Hammond already but Bike Fit are much closer to where I live so I'm factoring that in too

@ C-Shore - I'm not a CI member but i've just googled membership of CI and i can get a Non Competition licence for €30.

Do you know if that type of licence still entitles me to a discount?

And what are the benefits of having a licence if you don't race?

Thanks

Yeah I'm only on a Limited Comp license and I got the voucher so you get it for any level of membership.
    There are vouchers for a bike shop, and coaching as well, I think €120 in total, so that's some of the other benefits.
    I know you get insurance as well, but thankfully I've never had to use it so I'm not entirely sure what it covers you for.

Maybe someone who has more experience with the specifics of the insurance can chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

C-Shore wrote: »

I can safely say that Bike Fit Studio are miles better than what Aidan can do. He's a nice guy, but his fit didn't compare to how I'm feeling now after going out to John and James in Bike Fit Studio.

I know they're pricey, but I'm a Cycling Ireland member so I got my €50 voucher for Bike FIt Studio, so it worked out at only €130 which is almost as cheap as the other manual bike fitters.

Are you a CI member?

Can you tell me where this comes from? I am a member but dont remember seeing this voucher come in with the paperwork. Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you tell me where this comes from? I am a member but dont remember seeing this voucher come in with the paperwork. Thanks
    10% discount

Details here

Can't remember seeing anything saying €50, unless that was an introductory offer

Beasty wrote: »
    10% discount

Details here

Can't remember seeing anything saying €50, unless that was an introductory offer

That's interesting - I saw it announced in the monthly newsletter in January I think it was, and it was also up on the site at this link: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/alimay-voucher-worth-up-to-120-when-you-join-cycling-ireland/438

For some reason the actual link isn't in the article, but you just sign up here: https://cyclingireland.typeform.com/to/aIYpYk

That's how I got mine. They seem to come out in batches though, so I was waiting about 2 weeks after signing up for mine, and all 3 companies sent me out their vouchers within a few days of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Hi there

I have two €20 Bike Fit vouchers that Harry Belafonte was good enough to offer and drop into me before Christmas. I subsequently got a €50 voucher through CI so the two vouchers are yours for the taking as would love them to get used in spirit I received them

Hi there

I have two €20 Bike Fit vouchers that Harry Belafonte was good enough to offer and drop into me before Christmas. I subsequently got a €50 voucher through CI so the two vouchers are yours for the taking as would love them to get used in spirit I received them

Thanks Matt -
    do you know if the 2 vouchers can be combined?
    If not i may just bite the bullet and sign up for CI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

That's interesting - I saw it announced in the monthly newsletter in January I think it was, and it was also up on the site at this link: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/alimay-voucher-worth-up-to-120-when-you-join-cycling-ireland/438

For some reason the actual link isn't in the article, but you just sign up here: https://cyclingireland.typeform.com/to/aIYpYk

That's how I got mine. They seem to come out in batches though, so I was waiting about 2 weeks after signing up for mine, and all 3 companies sent me out their vouchers within a few days of each other.

Cheers C shore, just signed up using the second link and it worked a treat!!😃

JR23 wrote: »
    Cheers C shore, just signed up using the second link and it worked a treat!!😃

How long did it take for the email confirmation for the €50 voucher take to come through?

How long did it take for the email confirmation for the €50 voucher take to come through?

Nothing yet, I'll post up when it comes through!

JR23 wrote: »
    Nothing yet, I'll post up when it comes through!

Thanks...that "worked a treat" could be construed as being a bit misleading!! :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

+1 for Bikefit Studio. Spent an awful lot of time with me to get everything right. There was just one aspect of the fit they couldn't complete but this was due to a limitation of my bike's components (offset seatpost meant that the saddle couldn't be quite as far forward as they would've liked). But the fit made a big difference to neck and shoulder pain I was experiencing on longer rides.

rb

Thanks...that "worked a treat" could be construed as being a bit misleading!! :confused::D

Apologies for my turn of phrase, I meant that the link worked a treat! I shall be more precise in future. 😜

Mine took 2 weeks, because they were saying they get them in batches and do them in bulk.

If it's any peace of mind, one of the guys in my club wanted to get his done before he and received his, and they were able to give him his discount by looking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Another recommendation here for bike fit studio, I used the €50 euro CI discount a couple of weeks back.

I went for the Retul Muve dynamic fit as I was getting a new bike and wanted to make sure on frame size, very glad I did so as the next size up from what I was originally planning to go for turned out to be a better fit. I've got the bike since and it was straight forward to map the recommendations from the final fit report across, everything you need to adjust is given as relative to the centre of the bottom bracket.

Took about a week from when I applied for the voucher to when I got the email.

• Advertisement

Received my 50 euro voucher via e mail just now, roughly 24 hours after I applied! 😃

Quick update

I went out to BFS on Friday for the Muve fit with John

I'd say we were the guts of close to 3 hours at it between assessment, setups and very informative chats

I left with a report which will allow me to buy my new bike confident of getting the correct size and geometry and with the data to ensure its optimum set up.

John also gave me great advice on how to improve my peddling technique as well as loads of tips on getting the most out of my cycle.

All in all a great experience and definitely worth the €200 (or €150 with CI €50 discount)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

I'm deliberating between both Aidan and BFS as well ... can you help with a few more details pls:
    - What is it that Bike Fit Studio do that is better than Aidan?
    - What was the time gap in between each bike fit session?
    - Do they both look at leg length imbalances and fitting cleat shims/wedges?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭billyhead

I had my bike fit done with Frank in Richies in Swords, and as others have mentioned I could not fault him. I think it was €110 a few years ago. Not sure of the price now but it was well worth it and when I got another road bike on the BTW scheme from a different supplies a year ago he measured it up and fitted me on that one aswell for no extra charge. Top bloke he is. There more then likely is a waiting list with him and he only does the fitting out of office hours.

mp31 wrote: »
    I'm deliberating between both Aidan and BFS as well ... can you help with a few more details pls:
    - What is it that Bike Fit Studio do that is better than Aidan?
    - What was the time gap in between each bike fit session?
    - Do they both look at leg length imbalances and fitting cleat shims/wedges?

In short, they just don't compare.

It's the level of detail that Bike Fit Studio went to that made it a much better bike fit for me.
    Aidan kind of has a template that he wants you to fit to and measures based on angles but not on actual body movement - if that makes sense.
    Basically Bike Fit Studio use infra-red and when they make one change, they look at what happens to the rest of your body when they make that change - whereas Aidan just kind of moved me to get to that position for one body part, but never went back and checked what he already done.

It's actually kind of hard to explain, but the whole way that Bike Fit Studio do it just means they cover everything. Especially the lateral knee tracking, which I never got from Aidan - as the knee pain was what I wanted to work on.

I got my bike fit with Aidan done in 2013 winter, and my Bike Fit Studio bike fit done in 2014 winter.

Yeah that's the first thing they do. They do a load of body checks before you get on the bike, and leg length is part of it, my right leg was a tiny bit longer or left leg shorter, depending on what way you fill the glass.

I didn't ask about cleat wedges from either as I didn't need them, but I'm sure they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

I went with Bike Fit Studio but just a heads up on a good offer I seen for Aidan Hammond for anyone doing the Wicklow 200.

"Aidan Hammond of Bike Fitting Ireland is offering Wicklow 200/100 entrants a Bike fitting on Saturday April 11th and Saturday May 2nd at a reduced cost of €70 which is 40% discount.

If you can’t make it on those dates Aidan will do a fitting, midweek in Kilmacanogue for €90, which is 25% discount."

www .wicklow200.ie/aidan-hammond-bike-fitting/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

I am thinking about getting a bike fit done in Revolve Bike Shop‏ in Gorey, they use the bikefitting.com system. Has anyone got a bike fit done here? they have given me a price of €59 which seens really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

It's actually kind of hard to explain, but the whole way that Bike Fit Studio do it just means they cover everything. Especially the lateral knee tracking, which I never got from Aidan - as the knee pain was what I wanted to work on.

Thanks for the detailed response.. much appreciated.

Did the lateral knee tracking identify the reason for the knee pain - if so what did they do to sort the pain i.e did they move cleats, add shims etc?

I've had a niggling pain in my left knee for a while and I'm thinking about going to a professional fitter to get it sorted. It sounds like BFS may be the place to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

In short, they just don't compare.

It's the level of detail that Bike Fit Studio went to that made it a much better bike fit for me.
    Aidan kind of has a template that he wants you to fit to and measures based on angles but not on actual body movement - if that makes sense.
    Basically Bike Fit Studio use infra-red and when they make one change, they look at what happens to the rest of your body when they make that change - whereas Aidan just kind of moved me to get to that position for one body part, but never went back and checked what he already done.

I got my bike fit with Aidan done in 2013 winter, and my Bike Fit Studio bike fit done in 2014 winter.

Yeah that's the first thing they do. They do a load of body checks before you get on the bike, and leg length is part of it, my right leg was a tiny bit longer or left leg shorter, depending on what way you fill the glass.

I didn't ask about cleat wedges from either as I didn't need them, but I'm sure they do it.

Maybe Aidan has update since you were with him, but when I went before Christmas it was all done while moving with all the main points on the body being monitered, including lateal knee movement. I got the basic option but there is a more expensive option which monitors pedal balance and general power production.

Edit: Obviously if I read your post I would have know when you got it done, he must have updated since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Another here for BikeFit Studio.
    Had my 2 bikes fitted by John on Monday and it was a top quality service.
    Took plenty of time as my left side was showing different results to my right side but John was exceptionally patient and the results showed at the end.
    He suggested that I get a slightly wider handlebars as I am quite broad and the 400mm handlebars were too narrow for me.
    Also suggested that I get a longer Stem on my 2nd bike as the original was to short. Gave me advice on riding style which was very insightful.
    All in all, excellent service and I would highly recommend.

Advertisement