Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merc 180 Avant Garde. 2004 - asking price?

• 20-06-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a M271 engine C180 Avant Garde, full leather, auto. 2004, ~67000 miles on it.
    It's been sitting about for a while...

The engine is bollocksed. Belt went on it. Cam shaft problems, cylinders etc. Was looking to get a new engine, rather than repairing the current one. No luck.

Apart from that, it's grand. Exterior perfect.

What do you think the asking price for it should be?
    Should I sell it to a trader/breaker? Advertise it online as a "as seen" condition?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's possibly worth more as a breaker. It's completely worthless as it is as the cost of a replacement engine and the labour involved removing the old one and fitting the new one would cost more than what it would take you to buy one that needs no work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I was quoted ~£350 for parts. I could get 10 times that for a working car.
    I'm sure I could get more than £350 from selling a few parts alone myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Reoil wrote: »
    I was quoted ~£350 for parts. I could get 10 times that for a working car.
    I'm sure I could get more than £350 from selling a few parts alone myself?

€3500 for an 04 C180? I don't think so. You'd be lucky to get €2500 for a mint one.

The parts to repair may only be €350 but the labour cost of striping and rebuilding the engine will be in the region of €1000-1200.

Like I said I think you'd get more breaking it for parts but it's a tiresome exercise and you'd be better off getting rid of the car in one piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertise on adverts and donedeal with images.
    Make sure to mention engine is not working at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I think if someone offered me 350-500 I'd bite their hand off, the car is worth almost nothing sadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

rex-x wrote: »
    I think if someone offered me 350-500 I'd bite their hand off, the car is worth almost nothing sadly

The alloys alone (with tyres) are going for £450 online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you have the space to break it, that's the best approach - doors, wheels, seats, lights, switchgear, bonnet and boot lids, bumpers all worth something on the market.

Advertisement