Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citroen C5 smoke and fire in engine

• 12-05-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

I had to pull over while driving the other day as there was smoke coming out of my engine.

When I opened the bonnet, there was a small fire at the bottom which I had to put out with some water. Some part of the car leaked oil which actually burned through the bottom of the car.

I was just onto the mechanic there and he reckons that it's going to cost about 3 grand to fix. It needs a new turbo among other things, I didn't listen much after he mentioned 3 grand.

I was onto my insurance company and they said that they'll only pay out if the damage was not caused by an electrical or mechanical fault.

Is it possible that it may have been caused by some other reason? The insurance company are sending out someone to look at it in the next few days.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Catch fire? how was the temparature before it? your engine doesn't get on fire if you take care of your car, same as leaking.

Is it possible that it may have been caused by some other reason?

Most of the time its lack of maintence / care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

The car was driving perfectly, I didn't get any warning lights.

I did have it booked it for a service tomorrow.

I'll have to see what the insurance guy says, can't see it being good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sounds like mechanical failure, possibly an oil pipe supplying the turbo fractured and the leaking oil went on fire after hitting the hot exhaust and dripped down onto the splash guard underneath the engine. Might explain why the turbo is fecked too (oil starvation).

I finally got word from the insurance company that they won't be paying for the car.

The mechanic said that there's a good few oil leaks and he's not sure which leak caused the smoke/fire.

To fix all the leaks will cost around 3 grand, doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Depending on the year of the car I can see this being a write off. Save yourself the haste and buy something else with the 3 grand.

• Advertisement

It's 2009, I only have it 5 months :(

Del007 wrote: »

Ooh. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So the insurance aren't/won't pay? What's the point of insurance then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I thought cars were usually insured against fire?

I thought cars were usually insured against fire?

If they can prove it was through negligence then they don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

This happened to a friend of mine a few years back. I'll try and get some more info over the coming week as he's working in Oz, however I've just googled 'citroen c5 problem fire's ' and a fair few hits showed up, including a youtube video showing a c5 on fire on the M50 from as recently as 2012.
    There appears to be history!

The insurance company sent out an assessor. He said that it was a mechanical fault and they don't cover that.

They will cover the damage to the splash guard as that was damaged due to the fire but that's only about €200.

When I saw the fire, then I just presumed it would be covered by the insurance. Oh how wrong I was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ridiculous. By law you have to have insurance, but the insurance you have doesn't actually have to protect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same as they wouldn't pay out if your timing belt snapped .

You have my sympathies OP. dose after just buying the car.

Cheers lads

I should have just left it go up in flames instead of putting it out myself

Whats that OP, she started burning again in the middle of the night and you didn't have anything g to put her out with.... damn shame that... damn shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

snaps wrote: »
    Ridiculous. By law you have to have insurance, but the insurance you have doesn't actually have to protect you.

The law only requires you to have third party insurance so as to protect others against your negligence. Any additional cover such as fire/theft/comprehensive is entirely optional. I've never seen a motor insurance policy include cover for mechanical defects.

They will cover the damage to the splash guard as that was damaged due to the fire but that's only about €200.

To be realistic here, everything was damaged by the fire not just the splash guard. The cause of the fire is the relevant point but the damages caused by the fire is also a point to note. Amazing how insurance companies can split hairs like that.

What I gather is that the initial problem isn't covered but the subsequent faults are.

According to the mechanic there are a few oil leaks which are the initial problems (if that makes sense)

A quick update on my C5

I brought the car to a different mechanic during the week. He checked it out and said that I had 2 oil leaks. He fixed the leaks for €135. So far so good and no sign of any leaking oil.

The other mechanic said that it would cost at least 3 grand to fix it.

Can anyone explain how there's such a massive difference in the costs? 3 grand compared to €135 :eek:

• Advertisement

A quick update on my C5

I brought the car to a different mechanic during the week. He checked it out and said that I had 2 oil leaks. He fixed the leaks for €135. So far so good and no sign of any leaking oil.

The other mechanic said that it would cost at least 3 grand to fix it.

Can anyone explain how there's such a massive difference in the costs? 3 grand compared to €135 :eek:

I can easily explain it, he was ripping you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should probably ask the first mech what he thought was wrong and what needed doing. Maybe he thought it was an engine out and break apart job.
    3K is still a high amount even for that.

I asked him alright but when he said 3 grand, I just switched off

Advertisement