Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspicion re Fresh NCT on Used Car

• 18-06-2015 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Is the €50 quid in the ashtary trick still in play regarding obtaining a NCT?

I asked because I viewed a used car last night which a family member was interested in buying . This car had a fresh NCT which was only done in the last week according to the cert.

My suspicion was raised when I noticed the rear center lap belt was caught under the back seat, Suppose that could have happended after the test but it did make me look more closely at other things.

I then discovered that the 02 sensor had been disconnected and the wires were taped up . I started the car and there was a plume of blue smoke.

I'd seen enough and I walked away at this point assuming the NCT cert was bogus. This morning out of curiosity I checked the reg on the NCT site and the cert is genuine.

Just goes to show that if you are buying a car, a fresh nct cert is not to be trusted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

you are absolutely right, at this stage everybody should know, that a fresh NCT cert doesn't mean the car is safe.

There a few possibilities for this:

1) car owner knows someone in NCT centre
    2) car has been brought to mechanic who should have put the car through but he also knows someone in the NCT centre
    3) car owner paid (ashtray) to get the NCT cert
    4) lazy NCT mechanic who doesn't care or simply overlooked it

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Just type the reg into www.ncts.ie and see if its test is due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is the €50 in the ashtray actually real or is that a total urban myth?

I've never known anyone who tried this, or had it work, but heard plenty of "ow a lad I know did it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mullingar wrote: »

I did that this morning , the cert is legit. The test is due next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

mullingar wrote: »

Did you even read the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

TheDoc wrote: »

I have it on good terms from a few mechanics that it was rampant a number of years ago in Dublin, a few people were caught over it, and a little bit of a shake up. Around the same time of the taxi NCT fiasco that RTE covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Apparently my brothers friends cousin etc..... knows a tester who will pass any piece of scrap for money, he supposedly runs his own car through in order to get a cert........maybe a load of BS...i suspect it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I've never known anyone who tried this, or had it work, but heard plenty of "ow a lad I know did it".

Its real and still happens despite the shakeup, though its not as simple as anyone throwing 50 quid in the ashtray, the tester in question knows beforehand the car is coming in and the problems he may have to overlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I never heard of it.
    I actually often keep some small cash in ashtray, just in case I need it.
    Are you saying that if I leave 50 quid there and forgot about it, put car through NCT then my €50 would be gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I don't have an ashtray :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

I would not risk my job for €50. There are cameras fitted to every lane which takes a photo of every car as its being tested. Those cameras are also accessible to internal auditors who can look whenever they want.
    Also, as soon as a car is tested an auditor, either from the AA or NCT can 'hold' that car for full re inspection and it happens regularly. And you don't know they are coming until the test is finished so too late to change anything.

nct tester wrote: »
    I would not risk my job for €50. There are cameras fitted to every lane which takes a photo of every car as its being tested. Those cameras are also accessible to internal auditors who can look whenever they want.
    Also, as soon as a car is tested an auditor, either from the AA or NCT can 'hold' that car for full re inspection and it happens regularly. And you don't know they are coming until the test is finished so too late to change anything.

Surely it is a risk, but question is how much risk?

Approximately how many cars average tester can test during one week work, and how many times does it happen to average tester that auditor rechecks the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What about the waiting customer. I'd have no interest in being the guinea pig of the AA or NCT auditor. Just gimme back my keys and let me be on my way.

CiniO wrote: »
    Surely it is a risk, but question is how much risk?

Approximately how many cars average tester can test during one week work, and how many times does it happen to average tester that auditor rechecks the car?

Average about 75 cars a week. Could happen once a week, u don't know when there are coming. Doesn't make sense to take money from an ashtray, could be a hidden camera in the car, customer with a grudge. For the sake of €50 I wouldn't.

What about the waiting customer. I'd have no interest in being the guinea pig of the AA or NCT auditor. Just gimme back my keys and let me be on my way.

I've never seen a customer refuse yet strangely enough.

Average about 75 cars a week. Could happen once a week, u don't know when there are coming. Doesn't make sense to take money from an ashtray, could be a hidden camera in the car, customer with a grudge. For the sake of €50 I wouldn't.

Once a week?
    Are you saying that your get an auditor to recheck the car you just tested once a week on average, so about 50 times a year?

CiniO wrote: »
    Once a week?
    Are you saying that your get an auditor to recheck the car you just tested once a week on average, so about 50 times a year?

Between internal and external auditors yes we would have regular visits. Plus cameras also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How do you think the heap of junk I was looking at pass the test ? Could emissions be withing the pass range with a disconnected 02 sensor ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Could good parts of been swapped onto the car and swapped off again after the test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Muppet wrote: »
    How do you think the heap of junk I was looking at pass the test ? Could emissions be withing the pass range with a disconnected 02 sensor ?

I know some garages lean a car off for the test to make it pass, car can only be driven to the centre and back but it'll pass.. Plenty of tricks to get a car to pass any test or quick inspection, which is why the NCT isn't a good indication of the vehicle.

Judge the car on its current condition and the seller not pieces of paper which are easily forged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have! Just recently in fact. The gardai were called along with the RSA to enforce the car going back for a retest as the owner was saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

I've never seen a customer refuse yet strangely enough.

If they were in league with the tester, it would influence their decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I then discovered that the 02 sensor had been disconnected and the wires were taped up . I started the car and there was a plume of blue smoke.
    Once there was no lights coming up on the dash, and there are probably tricks to get rid of the smoke temporarily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Sure it's the old "turn the pump down" job, we been doin it for years with the jeeps at the DOE
    Makes getting up hills on the way to the DOE test a bit hard but sure once you got the cert thats all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

cronin_j wrote: »
    [...] The gardai were called along with the RSA to enforce the car going back for a retest as the owner was saying no.

I wonder how'd they enforce it if owner (for example) pulled an engine out of it. :D

It's possible it would pass yeah. Same way a diesel car could easily pass with a cat or dpf removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

50 in an ashtray won't give you anything. 50 in an ashtray, when you know someone and arranged it, will get you fresh nct.

I got a guy who will get me an nct cert for 70 in ash tray. Never used him yet though.

Advertisement