Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ive 8 - 12 K max to spend - what car to buy? Thanks

• 27-11-2015 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Own an Audo a4 and after 170K it required too much TLC, but perhaps most cars would at that mileage

I like Honda as Ive heard they are very reliable (owned a honda motor bike and it was great)

Pref Diesel

Honda
    VW Golf
    Scoda Octavia
    Other / open to ideas ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

In the price range you're looking at you could get an 09 Accord. I'd have one of those over the other options you are looking at any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Have you seen any Accord 09s on the www ?

I've had a look on the www and don't recall any 09s for that budget with reasonable mileage (like less than 80k)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

09 is nearly 7 years old though. 80k miles isn't that much.

I bought a UK Audi with 100k with FSH
    Looked after her well with regular services

At 150 approx she needed a steering pump twice.
    At 170 a steering rack
    At 199,900 the clutch died friday

Total reapir bill from 150K were about 3000 with me having to hire cars with repairs going on

The lower the mileage the better

UK miles on better roads might be better

Considering going to the UK again

A mate of mine (petrol golf) said his maintaince costs statted rising at 80 and she died at 170 approx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

worded wrote: »
    A mate of mine (petrol golf) said his maintaince costs statted rising at 80 and she died at 170 approx

In terms of the running gear yes, in terms of long term engine reliability I wouldn't like a diesel that had only done short trips.
    Lots of things to go wrong in modern diesels caused by short trips and lots of cold starts.
    If your mileage doesn't warrant a diesel then look at a petrol engine.
    What kind of mileage do you do in a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

A lot of manufacturers will give you €4k for the Audi as long as she's taxed and tested, so maybe have a look at something new?

Hi soarer, something new costs a lot :-( I've been looking. Even with 4k off.

Might get a diesel golf 00 - 07 and a cheap motor bike incase / for when the car breaks down

Getting tired of looking at web sites now

Advertisement