Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestinian hunger strike ends!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

This was on twitter 20 mins ago but now has a source so I can post it here.

From BBC news:
    A Palestinian official was quoted as saying Israel had met the strikers' demands.

More than 1,500 Palestinians have been on hunger strike since mid-April, demanding better conditions. Two inmates are said to be seriously ill.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18062016

1,600 prisoners were on hunderstrike.
    The prisoners' demands were:

The right to education.
    The end of solitary confinement.
    The end of declining and limiting visits.
    Allowing books, newspapers and clothes.
    Better edical care for the sick and injured.
    The ending of Administrative Detention.
    Re-broadcast the television channels that were stopped.
    The end of provocative incursions and inspections.
    The end of tying hands and legs during visits and lawers meetings.
    The end of group penalties starting from fines to denying the purchase of basic groceries.

Hopefully all children and interned prisoners will be released and everyone makes a full recovery!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone who was on it long term is probably damaged for life, however its good to see a resolution with no deaths for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Nodin wrote: »
    Anyone who was on it long term is probably damaged for life, however its good to see a resolution with no deaths for once.

The medical condition of 2 of them is described as serious. A few of the hungerstrikers from the first and the 1981 hungerstrike here have long term health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Good news to say that they have won improved conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The prisoners' demands were:

The right to education.
    The end of solitary confinement.
    The end of declining and limiting visits.
    Allowing books, newspapers and clothes.
    Better edical care for the sick and injured.
    The ending of Administrative Detention.
    Re-broadcast the television channels that were stopped.
    The end of provocative incursions and inspections.
    The end of tying hands and legs during visits and lawers meetings.
    The end of group penalties starting from fines to denying the purchase of basic groceries.

I can't believe the didn't have all of the above anyway. The Israeli's really do treat the Palestinians like the dirt on their shoe. I'm surprised the Israeli's of all people would go down that road after that their people were subjected to.

woodoo wrote: »
    I can't believe the didn't have all of the above anyway. The Israeli's really do treat the Palestinians like the dirt on their shoe. I'm surprised the Israeli's of all people would go down that road after that their people were subjected to.

Its not clear if they got all the demands. There has been no news on the release of children detained or of the prisoners held without a court case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm absolutely astounded that people, particuLarly Irish people, can see something like internment without trial (H blocks anyone?) and still somehow regard the Israeli government as this "shining example of democracy" they claim it to be.
    Just because it's slightly less barbaric than some of its neighbours, doesn't make it angelic.

Just because one cubicle in a toilet smells slightly less revolting than the adjacent ones....

I'm absolutely astounded that people, particuLarly Irish people, can see something like internment without trial (H blocks anyone?) and still somehow regard the Israeli government as this "shining example of democracy" they claim it to be.
    Just because it's slightly less barbaric than some of its neighbours, doesn't make it angelic.

Just because one cubicle in a toilet smells slightly less revolting than the adjacent ones....

The same people never supported our hunger strikers either. Plenty of them on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The same people never supported our hunger strikers either. Plenty of them on boards.

Not supporting hunger strikers is one thing, but implying that internment without trial can be justified is genuinely bizarre.
    If someone is a criminal then convict him or her in court. In a democracy, without enough evidence to bring a court case, "innocent until proven guilty" must take priority.

If the Israeli government doesn't want to follow those principles that's absolutely fine, but they must give up their two faced act of pretending to be a civilized, democratic nation. It wasn't civilized when the Brits did it, it's not civilized in Guantanamo Bay and it's not civilized now either.

The epithet or the policy, it's a mutually exclusive choice between the two.

All that aside, I'm delighted to see this end. I can understand the people who want to become martyrs or who want to see these people become martyrs, but frankly more than enough blood has been spilled because of this conflict :(
    Just hope they got a decent deal

Not supporting hunger strikers is one thing, but implying that internment without trial can be justified is genuinely bizarre.
    If someone is a criminal then convict him or her in court. In a democracy, without enough evidence to bring a court case, "innocent until proven guilty" must take priority.

Just look at some of the comments on the Marian Price threads.
    I stopped looking at Irish history and politics through rose tinted glasses a long time ago. Their were Irish who fought for the Brits in WWI, who fought with the fascists in Spain, who oppose unity at all costs, who support Israel. Nothing surprises me any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Please keep it to the topic at hand and not make it another usual Middle Eastern thread, with Republicanism thrown in.

Personally, it's an encouraging development and hopefully a sign of more movement from the new Government.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Posters can report posts or if they feel there are issues generally on the politics board, there is a feedback thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97080&page=22.

Stick to the thread topic which isn't Northern Ireland related. This will be the last warning in that regard.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement