Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirty Tricks

• 12-05-2012 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

An article in the Belfast Telegraph today said that Miriam O Callaghan was subject to threatening messages following an interview with Martin McGuinness during the presidential campaign. Sounds to me like like a smear campaign against McGuinness and no surprises it ended up in the telegraph. Can't see why any Republican would do this as it would be totally counterproductive to his campaign but the article suggests that it was Republicans that carried it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Nothing in that article nor the one in the Irish Independent suggests any source. There are nut jobs in all elements of society capable of making such remarks.
    Perhaps it's your own assumptions that are at play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

paky wrote: »
    An article in the Belfast Telegraph today said that Miriam O Callaghan was subject to threatening messages following an interview with Martin McGuinness during the presidential campaign. Sounds to me like like a smear campaign against McGuinness and no surprises it ended up in the telegraph. Can't see why any Republican would do this as it would be totally counterproductive to his campaign but the article suggests that it was Republicans that carried it out?

That would be mild to what they did do, lol. Standards must be very high these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

During the Presidential Election many shinnerbots appeared on various boards here. Some very insulting

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

McGuinness had a lot of people convinced he left the IRA in the 70s and was some sort of peripheral character.

When this got challenged it made those deluding themselves very very angry

people go off the rails on the internet so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

she went out of her way to claim McGuinness' team had nothing to do with it.
    why would they bother with a smear campaign now that he's back to his cosy british minister job?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I'd doubt it was Dirty Tricks, there were always some who liked to talk themselves up and think they were either republicans or loyalists over the years, big on talk and now text etc
    I'd say Sinn Fein generally are trying to get away from the past but there are people who like to think they are members / Hard men etc
    They certainly didn't do Sinn Fein any help and never did, The Provos were never a big army etc, but you'd have though a few years ago it was massive with everyone who claimed to know someone

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

The bit about Republican and threats gives it away as a hoax. As we all know Republicans would never threaten.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

it could of been anyone?? loyalists, gay mitchel or any other of the candidates supporters. whoever it was, they succeeded in making him look bad and i dont know why it even made it into the newspaper.

Advertisement