Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU style number plates;

Options
  • 22-11-2005 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Why is it that the Irish style number plates have the counties spelt out in Irish and the actual reg. number spells out the the county in English? i.e. 01-D-**** and Baile Atha Cliath written on top. Some counties are O.K. like Cork spelt Corcaigh. I think that if its D on the number plate it should have Dublin written on the number plate and so on. What does everyone think?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

What do other EU countries do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Most other EU countries don't have any script above their reg numbers, except (off the top of my head) - the Isle of Man.
    The IOM introduced 'EU style' plates in 1995 (got the idea from the many Irish cars which visit the island each summer ;) ) and either have 'Isle Of Man' or 'Ellain Vaninn' above the reg number.

(Incidentially, many IOM residents depend on RTE for their daily news ! (no BBC coverage on some parts of the island))

When our plates were in the planning stage (i.e. pre-1991) the Irish language lobby groups wanted the reg letters (e.g. 'WW', 'D', etc etc) to be spelt out 'as gaeilge' on the plate. (i.e. 'Cill Mhantain' 'Baile Atha Cliath, etc)
    This would have lead to huge-sized plates and the idea was totally impractical.

Therefore, the compromise was reached of putting the county name 'as gaeilge' over the reg number.

Silvera.

Isle Of Man plates ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Interesting, it seems the Irish language looby group always seem to have the final say in everything.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seeing as how the Letters used are the Initial letter of the County and if a second letter is used it's usually the last letter ( Tipp being the obvious exception) it would be confusing to do as Gaeilge.

I remember there was someone going around with BAC plates.
    Even if justified - BAC had at least one too many characters AND the last letter is H :rolleyes:

BH Contae Bhaile Átha Cliath
    CA Contae Chill Dara
    CH Contae Cheatharlach
    CH Contae Chill Chainnigh
    CI Contae Chorcaí
    CI Contae Chiarraí
    CN Contae an Chabháin
    CN Contae Chill Mhantáin
    CR Contae an Chláir
    DL Contae Dhún na nGall
    GE Contae na Ghailliamhe
    HI Contae na hIarmhí
    LE Contae Laoise
    LH Contae Luimnigh
    LM Contae Liatroma
    LN Contae Loch Garman
    LT Contae Longfoirt
    LU Contae Lú
    ME Contae Mhaigh Eo
    MI Contae na Mí
    MN Contae Mhuineacháin
    PE Contae Phort Láirge
    RN Contae Ros Comáin
    SH Contae Shligigh
    TN Contae Thiobraid Árann ( Thuaidh TH / Theas TS ( TN / TS would both be TT ! ) )
    UI Contae Uíbh Phailí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Even if justified - BAC had at least one too many characters AND the last letter is H :rolleyes:

It was worse than that. He had BÁC. Muppet.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

As far as I remember it was some woman who started a case demanding that it was her constitutional right to have BAC instead of D on her registration plate. The county name above the reg number was brought in as a compromise after this. Again as far as I remember, I think this started to appear on reg plates in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The regulations apply to any vehicle registered after 1st february 1991, despite being brought into effect in 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

wrote:
    I think that if its D on the number plate it should have Dublin written on the number plate and so on. What does everyone think?:confused:

If its not broken , don't fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

dingding wrote:
    What do other EU countries do.
    Germany have some letters for your city/area and then a letter/number combination. Austria has similar but the provincial shield is between the area letter(s) and the rest of the numbers/letters.

The plates are given to the person though and not the car so you don't have the silly reg year like you do in Ireland. If you wanted, and you owned a car continuously, you could have the same reg plates your whole life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When the plates were first introduced in 1987 they simply had a "D" for Dublin (insert other letters where appropriate), there was no Irish wording above. Irish language speakers objected to this and pointed out that they had a legal right to carry out any and all official business in the State's official language Irish so to force the issue many people put "BAC" on their plates as a protest to highlight the flaw in the licencing system. A compromise was reached and the "English" letter was kept but supplemented by the name of the county in Irish in small letters above it on the plate. An admirable compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hagar wrote:
    Irish language speakers objected to this and pointed out that they had a legal right to carry out any and all official business in the State's official language Irish
    Hagar wrote:
    A compromise was reached and the "English" letter was kept but supplemented by the name of the county in Irish in small letters above it on the plate

And so they caused my car to fail the NCT :rolleyes:

They can póg mo thóin

unkel wrote:
    And so they caused my car to fail the NCT :rolleyes:

And just how did "they" do that? Did "they" pesonalise your plate?
    Did "they" order up sepecial ones that said Fiat Punto or VW Golf or whatever?

BTW why do you have Baile Atha Cliath in your sig if you don't want it on your plate.
    BTW your sig is too big please change it or it will be SIGPOed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Look at the extract of his number plate in his sig. See it's kinda faded. Well that's why it failed.

Jeez, some people these days!

I didn't realise that was his licence plate. I thought it was a roadsign. I'd go back to the garage with that. A licence plate should be good for the life of a vehicle.

Hagar wrote:
    A licence plate should be good for the life of a vehicle.

In an ideal world it would be!

BTW, has anybody ever come across transparent number plate covers in Ireland ?

They are very popular in Oz and NZ - every other car down there has 'em !

(N.B. - they are only used over metal plates, not acrylic plates.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Seeing as how the Letters used are the Initial letter of the County and if a second letter is used it's usually the last letter ( Tipp being the obvious exception) it would be confusing to do as Gaeilge.

BH Contae Bhaile Átha Cliath
    CA Contae Chill Dara
    CH Contae Cheatharlach
    CH Contae Chill Chainnigh
    CI Contae Chorcaí
    CI Contae Chiarraí
    CN Contae an Chabháin
    CN Contae Chill Mhantáin
    CR Contae an Chláir
    DL Contae Dhún na nGall
    GE Contae na Ghailliamhe
    HI Contae na hIarmhí
    LE Contae Laoise
    LH Contae Luimnigh
    LM Contae Liatroma
    LN Contae Loch Garman
    LT Contae Longfoirt
    LU Contae Lú
    ME Contae Mhaigh Eo
    MI Contae na Mí
    MN Contae Mhuineacháin
    PE Contae Phort Láirge
    RN Contae Ros Comáin
    SH Contae Shligigh
    TN Contae Thiobraid Árann ( Thuaidh TH / Theas TS ( TN / TS would both be TT ! ) )
    UI Contae Uíbh Phailí

I'm sorry for the bump here. But I came across this and I was reading about this a few weeks ago on the Irish Times Archive from circa 1986 when the proposals were put forward to change the licencing system in 87.

Another proposal which would have worked out at the time and would have worked out okay was as below:

AC Áth Cliath
    CD Cill Dara
    CL Ceatharlach
    CC Chill Chainnigh
    CH Corcaigh
    CI Ciarraí
    CN An Cabhán
    CM Cill Mhantáin
    CR An Clár
    DG Dún na nGall
    GE Gaillaimh
    IM An Iarmhí
    LS Laois
    LH Luimneach
    LM An Liatrom
    LG Loch Garman
    LF An Longfort
    LU An Lú
    ME Maigh Eo
    MI An Mhí
    MN Muineacháin
    PL Port Láirge
    RC Ros Comáin
    SH Sligeach
    TA Tiobraid Árann
    UF Uíbh Fhailí

There was also talk of keeping letters back for northern counties also just in case a reunification miracle ensued.
    FM [Fear Manach], TE [Tír Eoghain], AM [Ard Mhaca], AM [Aontroim], DE [Doire], DN [An Dún].

Just thought I'd let ye know anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

3 years, good work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

What a random post resurrection!

Interesting too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I was involved in this circus when it happened. Hagar's explanation is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hagar wrote: »
    And just how did "they" do that? Did "they" pesonalise your plate?
    Did "they" order up sepecial ones that said Fiat Punto or VW Golf or whatever?

BTW why do you have Baile Atha Cliath in your sig if you don't want it on your plate.
    BTW your sig is too big please change it or it will be SIGPOed.

I take it this was before Unkel got promoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could we (the government) not have just sent out one of the rangers to off all the Irish speaking nazi's and put an end to this rubbish before it started? :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I take it this was before Unkel got promoted?
    It may even be before I was promoted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stekelly wrote: »
    3 years, good work.:)

;)

Cheers. Ah you know how it is with this place. You come on looking for one tidbit of info and before you know it you have 16 tabs open and so on.

Advertisement