Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat Nav - Best Garmin Model for Dublin

Options
  • 02-03-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

as the thread suggests - I want a sat nav that can bring me from Dun Laoghaire to the big shopping centres and out of Dublin to Cork.......I won't want it for visiting people or anything like that.........I've read that Garmin are better, so just want to find out which model I should use.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Head over to the GPS forum here, you might have better luck, mods will prob move anyway. As your question, I have a Garmin 250W and I'm quite pleased with it. The current maps have the Fermoy bypass and a lot of the new roads there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Agreed. Garmin seems to be the best maps for Ireland. Two considerations:

1) Make sure you get a GPS with the most current maps of Ireland; and
    2) Make sure you get a GPS with all the maps you will likely need already installed (e.g., if you will travel throughout Europe, get a GPS with European maps installed). It can be very expensive to acquire other maps afterwards.

As the prior post said, there is an enormous amount of detailed discussion on the GPS forum for the best GPS for particular situations.

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

to both respondents - thanks - have posted same on other section

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I use my Dad's Nuvi 660FM fairly often in both Cork and Dublin and everywhere in between. Never had a problem getting to my destination, the detour button is great and the system is overall v. easy to use.

Only thing is we had to replace the unit twice because the bluetooth failed. This was painfree though with Halfords, straight over the counter swap + a new 12 month warranty. The upside of this was we got new map updates for free :cool::D

do i need to have bluetooth - I know NOTHING about these things - I just assumed you plugged and played

• Advertisement

Bluetooth is used if you want to use your satnav as a phone handsfree unit aswell, not all satnav's have this function.

aw cr@p, i'm clueless - if I have a bluetooth phone what's the story - i'm feeling thicker by the minute..........and if I don't have a bluetooth phone - what's the story...

If you want to use it as a handsfree kit get one equipped with bluetooth, if you don't get one without it.

It adds a nice bit to the price if I remember correctly. Something like this is probably what you are after. Nuvi 250

I don't know if thats the best price out there but it gives you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Garmin Nuvi's are the business. What model you want depends on what you want to be able to do. I suggest a read at www.garmin.com is in order. I can't fault the Nuvi, I have a 670

guys thanks so much - i know if i walk into halfords, they'll see a woman and think they can flog the most expensive one going.............that said, I'd LOVE the pink one, hehe!

• Advertisement

what does the bluetooth actually add to the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gives you hands free for your phone.

I got the Nuvi 250w off pixmania the other day. Cracking system

how do you set them up - stupid question I know, but it has to be asked?

cjmcork wrote: »

Mount it on your dash and turn it on. It'll prob ask you what country you're in and away you go. BTW the lads in Halfords are pretty helpful, dont be afraid to ask them questions if you're going there, that goes for Mahon Point or Liffey Valley

Read the Manual :D

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    Mount it on your dash and turn it on. It'll prob ask you what country you're in and away you go. BTW the lads in Halfords are pretty helpful, dont be afraid to ask them questions if you're going there, that goes for Mahon Point or Liffey Valley

hey thanks for that - so you reckon i'd be better off to buy from a person than on-line? do they come with the mount or is that separate? and is the 250 pink the same as the 250 nuvi (in a boring colour)?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Read the Manual :D

I bet you're a civil servant.........:p helpful as ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All the up to date Garmins are probably all using the same software so it would be down to personal choice and layout of the unit itself. Im using the Zumo 550 which is designed for a motorcycle but comes with all the car attachments and works fine in a car, it is over e600 so I cant afford to leave it out of my sight!!!

hey thanks for that - so you reckon i'd be better off to buy from a person than on-line? do they come with the mount or is that separate? and is the 250 pink the same as the 250 nuvi (in a boring colour)?

Def cheaper to buy online but go into the shops to do your research, get answers, and choose a model, sometimes online may only be 10 or 20 E's cheaper so in that case its not worth the hassle of online.
    Mount comes included in the pack you buy.
    Pink 250 is same model as normal 250, case is different colour, thats all. Its a dear colour option tho...

I bet you're a civil servant.........:p helpful as ever

Nope i'm self employed, but i'm a firm believer in RTFM. You asked how it's setup, and I told you where you'll get the info.

Pesky ungrateful women!

• Advertisement

ladies and gents - thanks for the help - there's a 250 and a 250 nuvi - what's the difference? - there does appear to be a price difference in Halfords........went down earlier to get a look - was surprised at how small they were!

Would have thought they were the same, sure it wasn't a 200 and a 250? Anyway if you think they're a bit small go for the 250W, it has the same functionality as the standard 250 but a wide screen.

cool - thanks - they do a demo and everything for you in Halfords - bless the service they have for thickos like me - do they stay open late in the evenings?

Seriously, it's about time someone told you about a little thing called google.

Use it to look up Halfords, then look at the series of numbers. Pick up the plastic device with all the numbered keys. Put down the TV remote. Pick up the other plastic device wth numbered keys and use it to ask Halfords what time they close.

Bloody wimmins. ;);)

Advertisement