Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering pump hose - help!

Options
  • 03-09-2014 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    Tackled some DIY over the weekend and got through all the tricky stuff OK, or so I thought.

I'm trying to reattach a return hose to a power steering pump - rubber hose that needs to slide down over a plastic stub of a pipe so it can be hoseclamped.
    I can get it halfway, but not far enough to clamp it properly. It's a first gen mini cooper, so access is really tight - I've been pulling and pushing, trying to grab it with pliers, applying powersteering fluid as lube (ooh vicar) - all to no avail. I can get it so far before the hose just starts compressing and bending rather than pushing onto the fitting anymore.

Any tips or ideas to get the hose sliding down all the way?
    Stretch the hose out slightly somehow? ( I removed the pump, then left it a few days to fit the new one so may have contracted) Any ideas how to stretch it a little?

More lube and keep tugging away?
    (To be honest I think I've exhausted this option but had to put it in there for the lolz)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I usually find sticking a pliers into the end of the hose and stretching it by opening the pliers works well for me.
    You could always try using a can of hot water and letting the hose heat in it for a while before trying to slide it on might work as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OK, good ideas - hose is a little short :-( to get it out into some hot water and access is tight, but I'll try bodge something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Work the pliers around so you are stretching different parts of the pipe end as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

This is the low pressure hose that brings the fluid from the reservoir down to the pump? I think the last time I done one I done it from under the car not above. Can't remember it being any issue, although i don't think i re-used the BMW clip on it, i just used a regular hose clamp. Of course it goes without saying don't get that far under the car unless its properly supported...

Yes, getting at it from below -can't get a good grip on it due to some heat shield and the general awkwardness of the gap to reach up there. Would be easier on a lift rather than contorted under jackstands. This pump and the window motors are awful awkward - if either one of them go again I think I'll leave the cursing and frustration to a pro...

Yeah - generic screw tighten hose clip, special tool needed to tighten the BMW clip, especially with that little space.

While I was under there - I noticed what looked like a sensor hanging loose between engine and rad. About two inches long, pretty thin, plastic with a round hole in the top. Any ideas?
    It's not the outside temp thermometer, unless there is a cover that can come off that and I'm just seeing it's innards this time.

And another thing - who designed that Pentosin CHF11S container - you can't look at it without it welling up and spilling...

• Advertisement

Done, thanks for the tips CJh.
    Pliers inside the hose was definitely needed, but looking at it in better light last night I realised I had also pulled the heat shield on the hose itself down too far with all my dragging.
    If any one else runs into trouble with this - push the heat shielding around the hose up the hose as far as possible so the hose has every chance to slide onto the pipe.

It may also be worth unbolting the fluid reservoir and allowing it to drop down a little (support with cable ties if needs be) and try attaching that top hose before trying to get it back into position. Although you may run into trouble getting the pump back into position with anything but the 12V power connector attached.

BBA reman pump much quieter than the pump it replaced, action seems better too. No leaks after test drive, bit a cardboard left under it today just in case.

Advertisement