Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Right then.

The first half was much better than expected. We probably should have been further ahead at half time, but in fairness, they had missed frees and our keeper did ok (it was hit straight at him) to push a shot at goal over the bar.

It was pleasing to see us put pressure on their kick out with good results - we really had them under pressure. They really miss Lennon at midfield and Dick the Hash isn't able to contribute much anymore.

Most pleasing thing was the point Ryan McHugh (I think) scored. A load of our players bunched on our 45, MAMG kicked it to midfield, it broke and a all of the players who had been bunched sprinted forward to scoop up the ball. It was very like the tactic we had used against Dublin in 2014. Will only work so often and is quite high risk, but when it works it's good to see.

To concede a goal straight away after we had scored one to go 7 points ahead was bad enough, but it was the manner of the goal that was more concerning. Monaghan ran from end to end without much resistance and got two chances to score. And they did it more than once.

Second half was absolute pish. We were very defensive and scored only two points and didn't create many more scoring opportunities than that. Turnover after turnover. No positive impact from any of our forwards. Despite ceding so much to Monaghan they struggled to score other than from frees, but I take no comfort in that. Ref gave soft enough frees to both teams.

Keeper was better, especially on kick outs, but his little cameo in the second half would concern me.

Our captain was not himself at all. Given what we saw from placed balls, you would wonder what was up with him. Was clearly shagged at the end and as gulity as anyone in turning over the ball cheaply. But shur when Vinny Corey is around we may as well give Michael the week off.

Colm McFadden had no business being on the pitch at the end. wtf does he have to offer in a game like that? He dropped the ball and Monaghan ran off down the pitch with it. Awful. He's a classy forward, but he's not suited to the sort of game Monaghan play at all. I still don't see what he has to offer this year.

Hugh McFadden was ok. Caught a ball. Didn't make as many mistakes or poor tackles as I have come to expect of him.

Frank McGlynn got through a power of work. Good to see him back but he was shagged at the end.

McElhinney mixed the good and the bad. Well taken goal. Should have been taken off 5 minutes before he was hooked. Took a big hit, but fair play to him he got the pass away and I think we scored from it.

Leo McLoone looks off the pace. He's trying hard, but second best to a lot.

Fair play to Tony Thompson. Nothing going for him at the start but stuck at it, scored a fine point.

The two at midfield were average, some poor decisions made.

Eoin McHugh was good again. Took a cheap shot from a well known source and I wan't risk a ban by saying more than that. Hope it's not a serious injury.

Our man of the match was Ryan McHugh by a long way. Leaves nothing on the pitch every game.

Not surprised we looked tired at the end. That game is hard on the players. After building up a lead I would have preferred us to lose by easing up rather than watching what happened out there today.

With other results, it didn't matter that we lost. But who wants another game against Dublin? But FFS, we had them on the ropes and heading for Division Two. Would have been a satisfying end to a dull afternoon.

What does it mean for the summer? **** all, but who in their right mind would look forward to playing Monaghan in an Ulster Semi-Final? We might have more scope to improve than they do, but that's based on hope rather than expectation at this stage. It's not as bad as the Division Two Final defeat in 2014 and we beat them in the summer than followed, but those were different times.

Tl;dr? #roryout

Oh, and we have games against Tyrone, Cavan and Monaghan in Division One next year. Ugly ugly atmospheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

A lot of the negativity around Rory over the last week and comments that he apparently hasn't got a clue are surprising considering a few years back, he was being hailed as a tactical genius. I know, or at least assume anyway, that some of the comments are in jest but some of the more hard hitting criticism is over the top and reeks of spoilt brat syndrome.

Is it as simple as flicking a switch to completely change how we play come summer time? Probably not but the fact that the league is is still only the league and, despite what the majority of fans feel, isn't taken seriously by 90% of counties should not be overlooked.

The fact we are also moving quickly towards the end of our golden period also needs to be taken into account. We are nowhere near where we used to be and no amount of overstating the capabilities of our current squad will take away from that.

All in all, deep breaths might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

eddie73 wrote: »
    I would rather lose a game than go down that road to be honest. I think that if you throw away a 7 point lead, it is not tactics but something else that makes you lose a game.

Really? Lose all you want. Games are there to be won and we didn't do what was necessary today to win the game. And we lost. So, are you happy? I'm not

Not sure who the previous post is aimed at, but I'm as guiity as anyone, although I have been against the appointment of Rory from well before Day 1, so am happy that I am not a hypocrite. He was a good number two, for a few years, to a great man. That's all.

I am under no illusions about where this squad is at. That's why I would like to see a different approach to things vs dogging the players. No evidence of that from what I have seen. No shame in losing but the way we are losing games is hard to take.

It's good to see the likes of Eoin McHugh and Stephen McBrearty getting their chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

A lot of the negativity around Rory over the last week and comments that he apparently hasn't got a clue are surprising considering a few years back, he was being hailed as a tactical genius. I know, or at least assume anyway, that some of the comments are in jest but some of the more hard hitting criticism is over the top and reeks of spoilt brat syndrome.

Is it as simple as flicking a switch to completely change how we play come summer time? Probably not but the fact that the league is is still only the league and, despite what the majority of fans feel, isn't taken seriously by 90% of counties should not be overlooked.

The fact we are also moving quickly towards the end of our golden period also needs to be taken into account. We are nowhere near where we used to be and no amount of overstating the capabilities of our current squad will take away from that.

All in all, deep breaths might help.

You can only comment on what you see on the field. In fairness any critique of a performance by me and others has positive and negative aspects to it. However, our displays have been gradually deteriorating since 2014. I do not think these criticisms are over the top or reek of "spoilt brat syndrome" . Winter or summer should not excuse basic football mistakes. For example, several times this year a defender have received short kick outs with little or no space available as team mades all converge on him.
    Playing one player up front is ridiculous and encourages lateral play.

In all honesty I have never heard Rory Gallagher being referred to as a tactical genius.

I agree wholeheartedly that many of the players are at the end of their careers. I have no problem saying this and if more people took this on board you might get less hype about Donegal's chances. I will gladly and hopefully eat these words if we manage to succeed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

doc_17 wrote: »
    Really? Lose all you want. Games are there to be won and we didn't do what was necessary today to win the game. And we lost. So, are you happy? I'm not

The point is that we should never have been in a position to have to consider a foul at the end of a game to stop the opposition scoring, having been 7 points up. I think if we address that, then we can look forward to a good season rather than a very negative one where you want to get a result by not playing the game.

With a bit of hindsight now, I think that if we can learn anything, it is that being ultra defensive for 70 minutes will almost inevitably lead to losing against a good team. It is a good thing to fall back on at stages of the game, but not for an entire half.

Will we learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

the league is is still only the league and, despite what the majority of fans feel, isn't taken seriously by 90% of counties should not be overlooked.
    I hear what you're saying and of course there is still reason to be optimistic about Ulster this year, I think downthemiddle put it quite well in his report of yesterday. However you're wrong about the league. Whilst winning the league is certainly not a priority for teams, division 1 status is very important and is taken seriously by all teams. So it's not true to say that the league is not taken seriously. The one crumb of comfort I'm taking from it is that Rory felt we were safe after the first 3 games and moved to focus on summer preparations - I hope this is true but as others have said, it still doesn't explain the tactical decisions in the last 4 games.
    All that said, the league as it currently stands is daft - how you can have a team lose more than 50% of their games and still qualify for a semi final, whilst at the same time only avoid relegation on points difference is just stupid. Thankfully this is the last year it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Donegal's reward is a semi final this Sunday in Croke park at 4pm with Roscommon & Kerry throwing in at 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

I don't actually hope it happens but if we got roundly beaten on Sunday I'd like Rory to be honest. I feel the only reason Rory hasn't been honest after poor performances and said 'we were bad today' or some such is because he knows he might be the problem. Mickey Harte does it all the time and the players take it on the chin and move on. If Rory did it he can be quite sure how the players would react.

But another day out in Croke Park is good. A decent performance should be the least we can hope for, especially for the fans who traveled to Kerry and Monaghan to watch two fairly insipid performances. Would be nice to head home with a modicum of positivity ahead of Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What's the point playing a semi final now. Seriously? Especially against the Dubs when last time out RG in his infinite wisdom decided - actually nah, can't be arsed with this lets just funnel back and see the game out. Pathetic.

I've seen some suggestions that possibly it was an objective of simply keeping the score down for relegation purposes because Dublin could quite easily get a run, I understand that, totally do. But this isn't August or September. Dublin aren't at full tilt, why would they be.

The irony is Dublin were beatable the other week. They were understrength in terms of personnel and certainly weren't at full intensity. Yet we showed absolutely no desire or initiative to try and win the game with that absolute muck and the wheels came off towards the end when Murphy saw red.

For me, that would have been a game to try and win, play football, take the game to them. There was a decent chance of actually getting something from the game, at the very least it would have been good mentally coming away having equipped ourselves well.

Now three weeks down the line, we've lost another game in piss poor circumstances in some ways worse than the Dublin game given the manner of the collapse toward the end, and against our biggest threat to winning Ulster.

Semi-final on Sunday. Dublin will be arsed. I would suggest their preparation is geared toward a 8 game league given the depth in numbers they have. There will be players jostling for position now given the fact this is it until June for them and they're going (iirc) for 4 in a row. So unlike the league game they've actually got something to be arsed about now.

Meanwhile we're lumbering around the place half cut, not sure if we're coming or going on the back of 4 defeats. Looks like the players have no idea what is expected while Rory gesticulates wildly and runs up and down the line.

Any suggestion that we don't care about the league is fair enough, I couldn't really give two hoots about it myself but the manner of the past 4 games, going into play Dublin now again when we aren't nearly right is incredibly fúcking worrying for the summer.

I'll await some semblance of a coherent style of play on Sunday but on the basis of what we have seen over the past year and a bit I'm not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jimbo32123

I'll await some semblance of a coherent style of play on Sunday but on the basis of what we have seen over the past year and a bit I'm not hopeful.

You'll be waiting I'd say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I'm beginning to believe that 'throwing matches' is acceptable practice at GAA Intercounty level for reasons such as not wanting to show their hand tactically during the league, not wanting the extra games that a semi final or final place would bring to have more preparation time for championship.
    If that is the case, it's the beginning of a slippery slope.

I'm beginning to believe that 'throwing matches' is acceptable practice at GAA Intercounty level for reasons such as not wanting to show their hand tactically during the league, not wanting the extra games that a semi final or final place would bring to have more preparation time for championship.
    If that is the case, it's the beginning of a slippery slope.

Rory's fixin' matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

The fall out from the Donegal Tyrone under 21 semi final sees both counties fined €2000 each and Declan Bonner banned for 24 weeks

Murphy14 wrote: »
    The fall out from the Donegal Tyrone under 21 semi final sees both counties fined €2000 each and Declan Bonner banned for 24 weeks

From when?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

From when?

Presumably from the date of the game. Think he was supposed to be involved with Michaels this year so this would affect that.

Presumably from the date of the game. Think he was supposed to be involved with Michaels this year so this would affect that.

Aye, thought about that. Now sure who'd be up scouting around Dunfanaghy on a Tuesday night. Be grand!

Available again 'officially' in September anyway. No mad panic.

24 weeks for Dec. Damn, rules him out of the Championship I reckon.

#roryout

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    24 weeks for Dec. Damn, rules him out of the Championship I reckon.

All joking aside, who would you have in his place, I'm not saying I have or haven't time for him, but he had a very hard act to follow.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:
    All joking aside, who would you have in his place, I'm not saying I have or haven't time for him, but he had a very hard act to follow.

An inanimate carbon rod.

Strong Dublin team tomorrow. Cluxton starts.

Not a notion what we're going to be at. Have to wait for throw in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Not a notion what we're going to be at. Have to wait for throw in.

You have to decide if you want this or not before the game Nidge, less talk this year about the small squad and waiting for the Tyrone game.
    Would be a good competition to win imo. I could see kerry going for it as their record could be matched by Dublin, but if you win tomorrow and Kerry win , then I'd see some of their motivation for a win in the final gone.

Stoner wrote: »
    You have to decide if you want this or not before the game Nidge, less talk this year about the small squad and waiting for the Tyrone game.
    Would be a good competition to win imo. I could see kerry going for it as their record could be matched by Dublin, but if you win tomorrow and Kerry win , then I'd see some of their motivation for a win in the final gone.

Dont think we have any intentions of winning it. Much like last year vs Cork in the semi where they went out for a friendly.

4 defeats in a row may see them being more 'on it' than they would have been ordinarily but the main thing is we havent a notion what is going through that bucks head or how he intends to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dont think we have any intentions of winning it.

:D

Beggars on horse back I think it the appropriate expression ,,,,

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :D

Beggars on horse back I think it the appropriate expression ,,,,

I'm familiar with the phrase but i'm not following.

In all fairness, after last year's Championship exit I was firm in the view that we should be looking to August, not May or June when preparing for the Championship.

So, maybe that's what we are doing this year. Our fitness and tactics have been lacking at most times in the League. Time will tell I suppose.

On that basis, I think we will be competitive for a half and then fall away in the second. Dubs by > 4.

I'm familiar with the phrase but i'm not following.

As in people having pretensions!

Not so long ago that either Dublin or Donegal would have given left cojone to have chance of winning league, never mind anything else :)

Bonniedog wrote: »
    As in people having pretensions!

Not so long ago that either Dublin or Donegal would have given left cojone to have chance of winning league, never mind anything else :)

I take your point. We won the national league in 2007 and it was was great. It had been 15 years since we won anything. Not to mention it was the first time winning it.

A national title in Croke Park is certainly not to be sniffed at. However we then procesed to get humped by Tyrone and beat well by Monaghan in the summer with nothing left in the tank.

Tbh it's fairly obvious how little emphasis Donegal have put on the league over past 6 years. We absolutely need to be competing in Division One but once that objective has been secured I don't think they are overly bothered. That's the thing, if they set it as an objective they'd have a good chance I think but you cant go into a game with apathy or not being overly fussed about it.

I don't think we're at the level necessary to win tomorrow anyway but i'd like to see them to have a go at the very least.

• Advertisement

I take your point. We won the national league in 2007 and it was was great. It had been 15 years since we won anything. Not to mention it was the first time winning it.

A national title in Croke Park is certainly not to be sniffed at. However we then procesed to get humped by Tyrone and beat well by Monaghan in the summer with nothing left in the tank.

Tbh it's fairly obvious how little emphasis Donegal have put on the league over past 6 years. We absolutely need to be competing in Division One but once that objective has been secured I don't think they are overly bothered. That's the thing, if they set it as an objective they'd have a good chance I think but you cant go into a game with apathy or not being overly fussed about it.

I don't think we're at the level necessary to win tomorrow anyway but i'd like to see them to have a go at the very least.

It will be interesting. In fairness, you boys have to be battle ready from the get go in Ulster, unlike Dublin.

I reckon Gallagher might try a few things tomorrow with eye on possible, and maybe even likely, meeting later on in the year.

One thing is for sure. They both see one another as main 2/3 rivals so they both be anxious to avoid loss of face.

Will be as enthralling as always, no doubt!

Advertisement