Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

don't know about that tougher than Clara, i take it you didn't see them hurl again camross of laois back in the 80's when it was manly stuff ..lol...

Ha, that was proper hurling alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Match in the park put back to 4.45

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I'm just echoing what the other two lads who've replied already .....

He's the best full-back in the country (we'd all be very, very surprised if he didn't get the All-Star full-back position).

He still is one of the best defenders in the country.

He's fit and healthy, and still loves playing (as far as we know anyway).

He has his place in the KK team nailed on (unlike Henry).

No obvious replacement for him at full back either, Michael Walsh seem to be the alternative full back this year but its questionable if he would have started if JJ had been unavailable.

Im sure Michael Walsh will get another chance in the league next year. Maybe lads like Tom Aylward or David Glynn might become options over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Rower 0-7 : 0-4 Shocks HT. Shocks will have strong breeze in second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

St Canices CU SHC (2nd half,54 min) Carrickshock 0-11 Rower Inistioge 0-11.

R Power has received a second yellow card!

Replay
    Rower 0-12 : 0-12 Shocks FT. Richie Power off for 2 yellows in final 10 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Heading in to see the Clara O Loughlins game later. That promises to be an excellent game. Think the Clara men may just edge it on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Is it pretty much a given that JJ will go this year lads do you think. All signs point towards it no?

No. Just wishful thinking.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Heading in to see the Clara O Loughlins game later. That promises to be an excellent game. Think the Clara men may just edge it on the day

Clara comfortable winners in the end. Better forwards and more of a threat. Better team all round. Having said thought loughs went for goals too often and from too early on in the second half. Had they taken their points and kept the scoreboard ticking over they would have given themselves a chance. Once Clara drew level with the goal at the end of the first half they never looked back. IMO it's between them and the shamrocks. Can't see anyone else troubling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Clara 2-14 OLoughlians 2-12

• Advertisement

Clara's defence was superb on the day, played some lovely hurling. Aside from James Nolan, their inside forward line wasn't up to much and that's the only reason a woeful O'Loughlins side were left in the game for so long. Lester and Liam Ryan were also guilty of some poor use of possession.

Having fancied the city side to win, it was surprising to see just how poor they were. Keith Hogan took some lovely scores and definitely won the battle of the brothers by a considerable margin. The O'Loughlins keeper was at fault for both the Clara goals but O'Loughlins got two of the soft variety themselves to put some respectability on the scoreline late on.

Agree with the previous comment that from what we've seen Clara & Ballyhale would look to be much better than any of the remaining teams.

Boro exit the championship in tame enough fashion. Goalkeeping error for second goal didn't help matters. However they didn't have the forwards to challenge a limited Muckalee defence. Muckalee had the evergreen John Maher in flying form. Buckley showed flashes but didn't get enough support from those around him. On this form, Glynn won't be challenging JJ for KK FB any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

citykat wrote: »
    Boro exit the championship in tame enough fashion. Goalkeeping error for second goal didn't help matters. However they didn't have the forwards to challenge a limited Muckalee defence. Muckalee had the evergreen John Maher in flying form. Buckley showed flashes but didn't get enough support from those around him. On this form, Glynn won't be challenging JJ for KK FB any time soon.

Yeah it was poor enough from the Boro. Goalkeeping error aside, they weren't good enough. First touch in the half forwards deserted them at key moments, Shane Maher came into the game later on but started poorly (made a difference when they brought him out the field). Work rate in the backs was lacking, muckalee had men free and making space all day. Boro didn't get enough of a lead when they had the wind. Some good performances from Gaffney and Ollie Walsh, but didn't deserve a win. Doubt Martin's will be a scary prospect for anyone else who's left either.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Yeah it was poor enough from the Boro. Goalkeeping error aside, they weren't good enough. First touch in the half forwards deserted them at key moments, Shane Maher came into the game later on but started poorly (made a difference when they brought him out the field). Work rate in the backs was lacking, muckalee had men free and making space all day. Boro didn't get enough of a lead when they had the wind. Some good performances from Gaffney and Ollie Walsh, but didn't deserve a win. Doubt Martin's will be a scary prospect for anyone else who's left either.

How did Maher play today? He got a straight red in last year's QF and Boro never appealed suspension which should have been a one match ban in same competition this year?????

Is the draw for the senior semi finals tomorrow night or will it be delayed with 2 QF ties still to be decided?

Mooncoin defeated O Loughlins by 1-20 to 3-11 in the first Junior Semi Final this afternoon while as it stands the overwhelming favourites for the Title Bennettsbridge 6 points down(1-14 to 0-11) against Galmoy with 20 minutes remaining

Galmoy 1-16 0-13 Bennettsbridge 47 mins gone

Galmoy 1-16 1-16 Bennettsbridge 53 mins gone

A Late Late Tour de Force from Bennettsbridge, 1-6 without response now they lead Galmoy by 1-18 to 1-16 with 2 mins of normal time left

• Advertisement

Full Time score: Bennettsbridge 2-19 1-16 Galmoy

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads is Keith Hogan good enough for Kk? I have only seen him play once last yrs county final. I never really heard much of him underage. What age is he?

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Lads is Keith Hogan good enough for Kk? I have only seen him play once last yrs county final. I never really heard much of him underage. What age is he?

He got a few nice scores for Clara yesterday. Also tends to be good on the frees. Has the size and strength but probably lacks a bit of pace for IC. Don't know if he ever got a run with the county panel.

How did Maher play today? He got a straight red in last year's QF and Boro never appealed suspension which should have been a one match ban in same competition this year?????

Played well in the first half when Boro were aided by a gale. Didn't get much ball in the second half and faded along with pretty much the rest of the forwards. Don't know what suspension he got last year.

Full Time score: Bennettsbridge 2-19 1-16 Galmoy

Who would you fancy based on both games today?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Didnt see the junior matches today. Thought bridge would walk the junior after the piltown match,they got a fright today?Then again its easier said than done win a championship in kk.

Dont think Keith Hogan would be county standard, not too far off it though.Definiatly got the better of Brian today and not to many lads can say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

The bridge started great and were 5 points to 1 up after 10 mins but the galmoy goal rattled them and they were second best until the last 7 mins where they scored 2-07 to a point from galmoy.
    First game was close in scoreline but mooncoin were better for the game, the goals kept o loughlins in it.
    Would say that the bridge have most scope to improve but you never know in a final.

Im still going with my original prediction from the beginning of the year and would say the Bridge will win it if they play for the full match rather than bits and pieces at the beginning and the end. That being said Mooncoin performed much better on the day and the Bridge would have much scope for improvement.

Mooncoin were unlucky to go down out of Intermediate last year when Gowran came back from the dead in injury time of the drawn relegation final and scored 2 goals to force a replay and Id imagine they will be desperate to atone for that by going back up at the first attempt. They have also lost a lot of players the last 2 or 3 years through emigration and 1 or 2 key retirements so really they will feel that they dont belong down there.

Finals are always difficult to call and I think this one is such a tough one to call but the Bridge got an almighty scare from Galmoy and I think they will learn from that. I think they will edge the Final by 2 or 3 points but Mooncoin will be much better equipped than Galmoy to put them away should they falter again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Any word on fixtures for Saturday's matches yet? Is the draw for semifinals on tonight?

phkk wrote: »
    Any word on fixtures for Saturday's matches yet? Is the draw for semifinals on tonight?

Saturday
    Shocks v Rower 2pm Thomastown

Shamrocks v Danesfort 4.30pm Kells Road

Draw for semi not till next weekend

Just saw this, didn't really see much of the KK championship last year and don't remember that happening, but presumably the first match of the league against the Rower would have counted for the suspension, since the league and championship are the one competition? that's the only explanation I can think of anyway.

• Advertisement

Just saw this, didn't really see much of the KK championship last year and don't remember that happening, but presumably the first match of the league against the Rower would have counted for the suspension, since the league and championship are the one competition? that's the only explanation I can think of anyway.

I remember the red card against Carrickshock alright, not sure what the story was concerning any appeal etc.

Just to note that Shane Maher definitely played in that first league game against Inistioge.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

He didn't miss any league match. Should have missed first champ match AFAIK.

He didn't miss any league match. Should have missed first champ match AFAIK.

Dunno what to tell you so. Did everyone just forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Looking forward to the weekends games, I'm going for

Ballyhale by 10
    Carrickshock by 3
    Mullinvat by 10
    Ballyragget by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'd be looking forward a lot more if the matches most matches were on a Sunday. I work Saturdays and have missed 80% of Championship matches as a result. I understand why this is but they could try schedule a few more matches for the Sundays. Anyway I'll go for:

Ballyhale by a cricket score
    The Rower by a couple
    Mullinvegas by 7-8
    Ballyregret by handful

Just saw the Football All Stars at lunch time only 9 for the finalists but no one that didn't feature in a semi final got one at all.

Is it time to bring in a rating system like is used in the NFL so that we can find out who were actually the best players over the whole year. You could slightly weight the ratings for finals and semi finals the question is would you get much of a different result? You could also weight the rating of a player depending on the opposition so if you play well against a team which is higher ranked than yours you get slightly more points but equally if you have a blistering game against a poor ranked team you don't get as many points.

The biggest issue with this is: How would you rank the players performance? It is quite easy in NFL as it's all about blocks/tackles, yards/catches, scores/fumbles etc.
    Hurling is so fast I don't see how this could all be counted easily in a game? You would also have to do this in every game from the start of the year. That would require a team of stat collectors at each game counting the same things using the same definitions. For things such as a puck out won or lost how do you decide this if there is no clear catch? When I take stats I count a puckout won as the team or player who first gets the ball in his hand even if only for a second or the player who pulls on the ball in a meaningful direction and not just a touch to get the ball away from a ruck. For instance I only count a tackle if the player who has the ball the start of the tackle looses it. All these collectors would all have to agree on each definition of a stat to be counted to ensure consistency.

It would be fasinating to see how it would rank against the voted all stars

Predictions:

Ballyhale to hammer Danesfort at least an 8 or 9 point win for them

The Rower to beat Carrickshock by 2 or 3

Mullinavat to learn from their scare against Gowran and romp home against Tullogher by at least 7 or 8 points

And Ballyragget will have too much for Graigue Ballycallan, a 5 or 6 point win for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Predictions:

Ballyhale to hammer Danesfort at least an 8 or 9 point win for them

The Rower to beat Carrickshock by 2 or 3

Mullinavat to learn from their scare against Gowran and romp home against Tullogher by at least 7 or 8 points

And Ballyragget will have too much for Graigue Ballycallan, a 5 or 6 point win for them

The Rower are 7/4 with PP's, serious value me thinks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I have one about Henry that I hope to get put up soon. Well done to Richie, if we can beat the Shamrocks now that will top off a great year for him and Murph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I may be biased but I have a feeling Ballycallan might pull it off in their semi final this weekend. Eddie Brennan would need a massive game but who'd bet against that?!

• Advertisement

Inistioge to tough it out vs Carrickshock. Inistioge by 2.
    Danesfort to suffer a mauling. Ballyhale by 14.

Intermediate Semis look far more evenly matched.

Mullinavat should have learned plenty from the scare they got last time out. Vat by 5.

Ballyraggets younger legs to prove too much for GBC. 'Ragget by 3.

I may be biased but I have a feeling Ballycallan might pull it off in their semi final this weekend. Eddie Brennan would need a massive game but who'd bet against that?!

Ballycallan would certainly need more of a contribution from their forwards onto the scoreboard and have Eddie Brennan at the top of his game which Im sure he will be as no stranger to the big day himself, if they are going to prevail.

I just feel Ballyragget have the greater scoring power and that will see them through i think

Full Time : Carrickshock 1-13 0-15 Rower Inistioge

After Extra Time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

SHC quarter final ft, Shamrocks 5-23, Danesfort 2-13

phkk wrote: »
    SHC quarter final ft, Shamrocks 5-23, Danesfort 2-13

Henry scored 6 points from play I believe

Total mismatch. Shamrocks played with the strong wind in the first half and took full advantage. Game over as a contest after approx. 10 mins. In retrospect Danesfort should have played an extra man in the backs as Shamrocks carved them open at will for four goals in the first half - could have scored a couple more. They gave a master class in finding their men. They were very accurate scoring points also.
    C Fennelly and TJ were lethal on the ball both taking and creating scores. Ably assisted by Cha, E Reid and B Cody at CF. IMO Henry was the quietest of the forwards. M Fennelly was centre back. Coped with anything that was thrown at him. J Holden was full back and got very little in the first half. Got caught a couple of times in the second half and against better opposition could have been punished.
    R Hogan was lively but didn't have enough support around him to do anything meaningful. P Murphy was strong on the ball but lacked quality around him. P Hogan had some good moments including a rasper of a penalty deflected over the bar.
    On this form Shamrocks will be hard to hold. Whoever they meet is going to have to crowd out their forward line and restrict them to points. If you give them space they will go for and score goals. Once the goals start flowing, it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

If it hasn't already been done I wonder would TheBiggerTheyCome like to create a KK Club All Star roll of honour?

Total mismatch. Shamrocks played with the strong wind in the first half and took full advantage. Game over as a contest after approx. 10 mins. In retrospect Danesfort should have played an extra man in the backs as Shamrocks carved them open at will for four goals in the first half - could have scored a couple more. They gave a master class in finding their men. They were very accurate scoring points also.
    C Fennelly and TJ were lethal on the ball both taking and creating scores. Ably assisted by Cha, E Reid and B Cody at CF. IMO Henry was the quietest of the forwards. M Fennelly was centre back. Coped with anything that was thrown at him. J Holden was full back and got very little in the first half. Got caught a couple of times in the second half and against better opposition could have been punished.
    R Hogan was lively but didn't have enough support around him to do anything meaningful. P Murphy was strong on the ball but lacked quality around him. P Hogan had some good moments including a rasper of a penalty deflected over the bar.
    On this form Shamrocks will be hard to hold. Whoever they meet is going to have to crowd out their forward line and restrict them to points. If you give them space they will go for and score goals. Once the goals start flowing, it's game over.

Did Henry not score 6 from play? I wouldnt call that quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

anyone in the park for an update?

• Advertisement

Did Henry not score 6 from play? I wouldnt call that quiet

I wasn't keeping track of who scored what tbh. Just MO but I thought he was the quietest in what was, granted, a lively forward line especially in the first half when the game was effectively won. He scored 3 pts in the last few mins when the game was long over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement