Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd imagine the authorities are hoping/praying that they would be knocked out long before then.

I really can't see it being an issue either - the effort of being on the go weekend after weekend in both codes in the depths of winter will surely take it's toll, especially when there is such a high number of lads involved in both codes.

I know the likelihood is minimal but was just wondering if there was any precedent as I didn't think any club ever did the double (All Ireland Club titles) in the one year. And was just wondering if any club had appeared in both finals in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I know the likelihood is minimal but was just wondering if there was any precedent as I didn't think any club ever did the double (All Ireland Club titles) in the one year. And was just wondering if any club had appeared in both finals in the same year.

Only team ever to do the hurling and football double at provincial level were the Barrs in 1980-81.

They won the football final but lost the hurling final. No idea how the fixtures were managed.

The fact that they were the only team even to do the double at provincial level says a huge amount about how difficult a task this would be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Club_Hurling_Championship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Ireland_Senior_Club_Football_Championship#List_of_Finals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd imagine they would appeal for one of them to put off. After that you are guessing what the response of HQ would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Always liked Ephie, good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

gerry o connor steps aside from the clare u21 setup :( big loss to clare hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

gerry o connor steps aside from the clare u21 setup :( big loss to clare hurling

At least Donal Maloney is staying on, though selector Jimmy Browne isn't.

Huge appreciation I think from every Clare hurling supporter, to what Gerry has achieved with Clare hurling. 5 Munsters and 3 All Ireland's in 5 years was an astonishing feat.

letowski wrote: »
    At least Donal Maloney is staying on, though selector Jimmy Browne isn't.

Huge appreciation I think from every Clare hurling supporter, to what Gerry has achieved with Clare hurling. 5 Munsters and 3 All Ireland's in 5 years was an astonishing feat.

yeah some record it will be intresting to see how donal fairs out on his own , gerry will be back again managing or involved at intercounty level again , but where i belive he is needed most is with the under age set ups from 14s 16s to minors , thats where he started initially and look at all the great players that have came on from that since

i wouldnt be surprised to hear of him being involved in the eire og set up in the near future he has worked heavily with them at underage in the past
    gerry is a top man to have around the place , his treatment of players off the field is second to none , he made sure guys had jobs while under his tenures with the minors and 21s be it just a bit of weekend work in a shop in ennis or full time in places like shannon for lads leaving collage and keep lads as close to home as possible ,its what he done behind the sceans that will be really missed

the under 17 footballers are back in the final of the munster u17 development tournament after beating waterford to night by 4-15 to 3-02

wolfe tones will play kerry winners ardfert this sunday at 14:00 @ kilmoyley in the munster IFC

as far as i am aware of tg4 will be showing live coverage of the cratloe v ballygunner sunday also

yeah some record it will be intresting to see how donal fairs out on his own , gerry will be back again managing or involved at intercounty level again , but where i belive he is needed most is with the under age set ups from 14s 16s to minors , thats where he started initially and look at all the great players that have came on from that since

i wouldnt be surprised to hear of him being involved in the eire og set up in the near future he has worked heavily with them at underage in the past
    gerry is a top man to have around the place , his treatment of players off the field is second to none , he made sure guys had jobs while under his tenures with the minors and 21s be it just a bit of weekend work in a shop in ennis or full time in places like shannon for lads leaving collage and keep lads as close to home as possible ,its what he done behind the sceans that will be really missed

I'd think Donal will be fine, he knows what it takes at that top level in underage hurling. What's important is that he surrounds himself with a good backroom team that compliments his own qualities. I think with Gerry gone, it could improve him.

Yeah Gerry always came across as a top person, you could see it in his interviews. Himself and Donal always showed the height of respect for the opposition, which in my opinion was one of the main reasons why they never sent our a complacent side. He would be a huge boost if he were to be involved with the townies this year at some level, as they are building a good young team (Reidy, SOD, Davy O'Halloran, etc). Hopefully we will see him back with a Clare side soon, but he doesn't really owe us anything.

in fairness we are not stuck for top coach's at the moment so it wont be too hard for donal to top up the backroom team with experienced heads , even bringing member of this years minor set up would be no bad thing , they were very unlucky not to reach a munster final losing to the all ireland champions by a point on there own patch

an interview by podge today on 2fm which clears up maybe 1 or two things that may have happened over the last 12 months

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/1020/653593-collins-i-was-given-dual-status-ultimatum/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Davy O'Halloran likely to join up too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, the captain of the county champions not playing hurling is a big thing, in most counties Liam would be the county captain. I wouldn't be surprised if Conor McGrath was named as a vice-captain as a way of keeping a couple of Cratloe players onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, the captain of the county champions not playing hurling is a big thing, in most counties Liam would be the county captain. I wouldn't be surprised if Conor McGrath was named as a vice-captain as a way of keeping a couple of Cratloe players onside.

New captains have already been announced I think.
    Pat Donnellon and Cian Dillon joint captains with Pat O Connor and maybe Conor McGrath as vice captains.

Not 100% sure but its definitely 2 captains and 2 backups.
    I'll double check the names later tonight

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No, you're right, Conor McGrath doesn't seem to be an automatic choice as a "leader" to me like the other, I would have thought Colin Ryan would have been a far better choice.

http://clareherald.com/2014/10/15/donnellan-and-dillon-named-joint-hurling-captains-34535/

Clare will play the winners of Cork or Waterford in the Munster U21 semi final. If Waterford win, the game is on the Ennis, Cork win the semi is on in Cork. I think its a decent draw as we avoided Tipp, though the extra game for the opposition isn't an advanage.

The minors will play the winners of Tipperary and Waterford.

there was talks of pat burke coming down in the past as his father is from the miltown area , i know he won an all ireland with kilmacud crokes and a leinster with dublin but i dont think he had a major role to play with them maybe coming off the bench when they were well ahead in games, but he must be over 30 now which is strange giving how young most of that team is

dont know too much about ahern , maybe collins it trying to build up the squad as much as possible should the cratloe lads be missing for the league which would happen if they won one of the munster club championships
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Davy O'Halloran likely to join up too?

i was surprised he got such little game time last year , i think he only got a few minuets here and there during the league his club mate reidy was always called up ahead of him , on that note i would almost expect to hear of him joining up with the footballers at some stage , very similar to the cathal mcinerney situation i would almost say he is probably a better footballer then hurler , but he wouldnt be lost on the hurling panel either

this i am very surprised with. i would have taught liam would have stayed with the hurlers , but then again how much of a role would he get next year?
    like mcinerney and lets say sean collins how much of an input could davy see in the next year with all the other solid young players coming up through the ranks , infairness they didnt get much of a look in last year

what this dose if nothing else is allow davy to play his "little fish of the hurling world" card next year and use it to play down any chances of wining anything like he did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sasol

there was talks of pat burke coming down in the past as his father is from the miltown area , i know he won an all ireland with kilmacud crokes and a leinster with dublin but i dont think he had a major role to play with them maybe coming off the bench when they were well ahead in games, but he must be over 30 now which is strange giving how young most of that team is

dont know too much about ahern , maybe collins it trying to build up the squad as much as possible should the cratloe lads be missing for the league which would happen if they won one of the munster club championships

i was surprised he got such little game time last year , i think he only got a few minuets here and there during the league his club mate reidy was always called up ahead of him , on that note i would almost expect to hear of him joining up with the footballers at some stage , very similar to the cathal mcinerney situation i would almost say he is probably a better footballer then hurler , but he wouldnt be lost on the hurling panel either

this i am very surprised with. i would have taught liam would have stayed with the hurlers , but then again how much of a role would he get next year?
    like mcinerney and lets say sean collins how much of an input could davy see in the next year with all the other solid young players coming up through the ranks , infairness they didnt get much of a look in last year

what this dose if nothing else is allow davy to play his "little fish of the hurling world" card next year and use it to play down any chances of wining anything like he did last year

Re. Markham , he was not involved in 2014, so why the expectation that he 'would have stayed with the hurlers' ? He got little game time under Davy and had little choice but to walk away from it.

Colm Collins must secretly be briming with joy that Davy is hurling manager. Davy is responsibile for Podge Collins, Sean Collins, Cathal McInerney, Liam Markham and possibly Davy O Halloran defecting to the football squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

sasol wrote: »

Colm Collins must secretly be briming with joy that Davy is hurling manager. Davy is responsibile for Podge Collins, Sean Collins, Cathal McInerney, Liam Markham and possibly Davy O Halloran defecting to the football squad.

To be honest none of those are guaranteed starters for the hurlers, except Podge,
    And while Podge's decision raised a few eye brows, given he was given an ultimatum and his Dad and brother are with the footballers, it's hardly a huge shock.

So I don't think it is Davy driving them away

I don't see Conor McGrath quitting the hurling panel, for instance

• Advertisement

This years squad below.

New additions to the squad in capitals.
    Domhnall O’Donovan (Clonlara),
    Colm Galvin (Clonlara),
    Nicky O’Connell (Clonlara),
    John Conlon (Clonlara),
    CATHAL O'CONNELL (Clonlara),
    Darach Honan (Clonlara),
    Jack Browne (Ballyea),
    Paul Flanagan (Ballyea),
    GEAROID O'CONNELL (Ballyea),
    Tony Kelly (Ballyea),
    EOIN ENRIGHT (Kilmaley),
    MICHAEL O'MALLEY (Kilmaley),
    Conor Cleary (Kilmaley),
    DAIRE KEANE (Kilmaley),
    Peter Duggan (Clooney/Quin),
    SHANE MCNAMARA (Clooney/Quin),
    Cillian Duggan (Clooney/Quin),
    Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge),
    Jamie Shanahan (Sixmilebridge),
    Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge),
    Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg),
    David Reidy (Éire Óg),
    David O’Halloran (Éire Óg),
    Conor McGrath (Cratloe),
    Conor Ryan (Cratloe),
    Cian Dillon (Crusheen),
    Donal Tuohy (Crusheen),
    Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle),
    Stephen O’Halloran (Clarecastle),
    ANDREW FAHY (Whitegate),
    Brendan Bugler (Whitegate),
    Patrick Kelly (Inagh/Kilnamona),
    David McInerney (Tulla),
    Patrick O’Connor (Tubber),
    Patrick Donnellan (O'Callaghan's Mills),
    DAVID CONRY (St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield),
    Colin Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus),
    Cathal Malone (Ennistymon),
    Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)

I make it out to be
    Club Representatives
    (Clonlara), 6
    (Kilmaley), 4
    (Ballyea), 4
    (Éire Og) 3
    (Sixmilebridge), 3
    (Clooney/Quin), 3
    (Cratloe), 2
    (Whitegate), 2
    (Crusheen), 2
    (Clarecastle), 2
    (Newmarket-on-Fergus), 1
    (Tulla), 1
    (Tubber), 1
    (O'Callaghan's Mills) 1
    (Ennistymon), 1
    (Wolfe Tones na Sionna) 1
    (St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield) 1
    (Inagh/Kilnamona), 1
    Total 39

This years squad below.

New additions to the squad in capitals.
    I make it out to be
    Club Representatives
    (Clonlara), 6
    (Kilmaley), 4
    (Ballyea), 4
    (Éire Og) 3
    (Sixmilebridge), 3
    (Clooney/Quin), 3
    (Cratloe), 2
    (Whitegate), 2
    (Crusheen), 2
    (Clarecastle), 2
    (Newmarket-on-Fergus), 1
    (Tulla), 1
    (Tubber), 1
    (O'Callaghan's Mills) 1
    (Ennistymon), 1
    (Wolfe Tones na Sionna) 1
    (St. Joseph's Doora/Barefield) 1
    (Inagh/Kilnamona), 1
    Total 39

you can see the different direction the management are looking to take already , expect to see alot more physical aspect to the team next year , would still like to see honan knocking around ,injuries havent helped

off the top of my head i would say the likely full forward line next year will be reidy mcgrath and o'donnell , with conlon , duggan and cuningham half forwards with kelly and gallvin midfield

and what should be a kilkenny esc free for all for places at the back ,the half back line will be very compitive for places over the league i think

you can see the different direction the management are looking to take already , expect to see alot more physical aspect to the team next year , would still like to see honan knocking around ,injuries havent helped

off the top of my head i would say the likely full forward line next year will be reidy mcgrath and o'donnell , with conlon , duggan and cuningham half forwards with kelly and gallvin midfield

and what should be a kilkenny esc free for all for places at the back ,the half back line will be very compitive for places over the league i think

How about Colin Ryan? Mightn't have had a great year, but he is your free-taker. Presumably you meant Peter Duggan rather than Bobby Duggan, so who would be on frees? Kelly or McGrath?

And do you not think Tots will play the Podge role, so to speak? I rate him very highly.

You've got a good strong panel there, although Podge will be a big loss.

How about Colin Ryan? Mightn't have had a great year, but he is your free-taker. Presumably you meant Peter Duggan rather than Bobby Duggan, so who would be on frees? Kelly or McGrath?

And do you not think Tots will play the Podge role, so to speak? I rate him very highly.

You've got a good strong panel there, although Podge will be a big loss.

it is unlikley that he would be dropped after all he has done for clare over the last 5 or 6 years but it wouldnt be out of tony kelly's reach to fill his boots in that department , and yeah peter duggen over bobby, i know however there are few of people that wouldnt like to see him start

its a big year for totts if he can nail down a place in the first team or not , another great free taker but as far as the roaming position goes i think reidy is better suited to it

J@ysus, you can't drop Colin Ryan, I'd go as far as to say he's our most important player, most of our puck outs are directed at him to break and the rest of the players to feed off, couple that with his brilliant free taking ability and the fact that he's 1 of the oldest on the team he can't be left off.

J@ysus, you can't drop Colin Ryan, I'd go as far as to say he's our most important player, most of our puck outs are directed at him to break and the rest of the players to feed off, couple that with his brilliant free taking ability and the fact that he's 1 of the oldest on the team he can't be left off.

as i said at the time it was off the top of my head from that list of 39 , more on the lines of wishfull thinking in a perfect world i would imagine maybe 4 of the 8 players i selected would be starters next year and maybe only two or 3 in the positions mentioned

reality is we wont know what way the team is shaping until next spring and usually that will spring a few surprises in its self ,

I think 1 of the issues last season was the injuries to Aaron and Shane in the full forward line, we played a lot of '13 with Honan as a target man, the replay against Cork showed that we were far better with a 2 man mobile full forward line, unfortunately the 2 players best suited in that role would be Shane O'Donnell and Aaron Cunningham.

I think 1 of the issues last season was the injuries to Aaron and Shane in the full forward line, we played a lot of '13 with Honan as a target man, the replay against Cork showed that we were far better with a 2 man mobile full forward line, unfortunately the 2 players best suited in that role would be Shane O'Donnell and Aaron Cunningham.

One of them and Conor McGrath?

• Advertisement

One of them and Conor McGrath?

I'd be thinking 1 of them and Podge, Conor is more suited to the half forward line running at the defenders rather than operating as part of a 2 man full forward line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement