Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible for free fees?

Options
  • 21-07-2016 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have finished a level 7 physics degree in DIT and I have applied for transfer to a level 8 physics degree in DCU. I am expecting to get an offer this coming weeks to the second/third year of the level 8 course.

The entire time I was doing my level 7 degree, I paid as an EU resident and paid more than the "free fees". I have recently been naturalised as an Irish citizen and I am wondering if I would be eligible for free fees if I fortunately get an offer for the level 8 course I have applied to?

I tried looking at the student finance website and citizen's information website but I can't seem to find a clear answer to my query :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

mnc2293 wrote: »
    I have finished a level 7 physics degree in DIT and I have applied for transfer to a level 8 physics degree in DCU. I am expecting to get an offer this coming weeks to the second/third year of the level 8 course.

The entire time I was doing my level 7 degree, I paid as an EU resident and paid more than the "free fees". I have recently been naturalised as an Irish citizen and I am wondering if I would be eligible for free fees if I fortunately get an offer for the level 8 course I have applied to?

I tried looking at the student finance website and citizen's information website but I can't seem to find a clear answer to my query :(
    Normally if you have a degree already you are not eligible for free fees - regardless of whether you paid for your first degree yourself or not. However, as it states here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html -

"You must be a first-time full-time undergraduate. However, students who already hold a Level 6 or a Level 7 qualification and are progressing to a Level 8 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications without having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees."

Get onto the college you've applied to and ask them what your fee liability / eligibility is.

I've just had a look at the UCD page and it's very clear:

Where a student has been awarded a level 7 degree and wishes to progress to a level 8 degree they will be entitled to free fees for “add-on” years only i.e. if their level 7 degree was of 3 year’s duration then they will be entitled to free fees for the 4th and subsequent years only. This student will be liable for tuition fees for the first three years.

Full information here:
    http://www.ucd.ie/students/fees/freefeesinitiative.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll go ahead and say ignore UCD here, its not their remit, this comes down from the Department.

All Irish students get 3/4 free tuition credits for 3rd level. Every time you attempt a year you consume one and it cant be used again. So if you were to do Y1, fail and repeat on your second pass at Y1 you've consumed your free fees allowance and must pay tuition.

mnc2293 if you've paid Tuition + Registration for DIT (so 3000 +1500 or there abouts) for each year of your L7 then you've not availed of the Free Fees Scheme and are still eligible to claim them would be my interpretation. Query it with the Department of Ed to confirm.

ED E wrote: »
    I'll go ahead and say ignore UCD here, its not their remit, this comes down from the Department.

All Irish students get 3/4 free tuition credits for 3rd level. Every time you attempt a year you consume one and it cant be used again. So if you were to do Y1, fail and repeat on your second pass at Y1 you've consumed your free fees allowance and must pay tuition.

mnc2293 if you've paid Tuition + Registration for DIT (so 3000 +1500 or there abouts) for each year of your L7 then you've not availed of the Free Fees Scheme and are still eligible to claim them would be my interpretation. Query it with the Department of Ed to confirm.

That only applies if you don't finish the course.

Once you have a degree - regardless of whether you paid for it yourself or not - you are not eligible for free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Southern Belle is correct and it is DCUs remit to asses you correctly.

Based on the information you have provided you will not be eligible for free fees until you enter 4th year of your new programme.

You will assessed by DCU so make sure you have all the necessary documentation ready to go...i.e. your naturalization cert and evidence of your previous study.

If in doubt contact the DCU registry to confirm but they should be in contact with you after you accept your offer.

Eligibility for free fees only refers to tuition and takes into consideration more than citizenship so DCU are the only ones that can confirm this for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

mnc2293 wrote: »

Why is it a transfer?
    Have you finished the course in 3 years or did you have any repeat any years?
    Did you graduate with a level 7 award?

If you graduated at level 7 and you enter the new course in the second or third year and ordinarily the new course offers the same physics level 7 award as your previous course after the third year (progressive award), then you would not qualify for free fees/grant assistance.

If the course does not offer a level 7 progressive award then you may qualify for grant assistance and free fees as a naturalised Irish citizen.

Advertisement