Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance Grant Question

• 15-07-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was wondering how much i would receive from SUSI.
    I am eligible for Free Fees and I plan on studying in Dublin and i am from Kerry.
    How much will SUSI give me for accommodation,food,utility,etc.
    Do they give more depending on the cost of living, i.e NUIG vs. Trinity.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Latitude94 wrote: »
    I was wondering how much i would receive from SUSI.
    I am eligible for Free Fees and I plan on studying in Dublin and i am from Kerry.
    How much will SUSI give me for accommodation,food,utility,etc.
    Do they give more depending on the cost of living, i.e NUIG vs. Trinity.
    Thanks

Depends on the rate of grant you are eligible for.

But there is a different rate of maintenance grant for student that they ordinarily live over 45km from their college.
    It does not depend on your cost of living compared to Galway or Dublin.

The rate are here

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Latitude94

What does it mean by adjacent rate and non-adjacent rate?, are they added together to get the full grant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The Adjacent Rate is if you live within 45KM of the university you're attending. Non-Adjacent is > 45KM. You can get one or the other, not both added together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

What does it mean by adjacent rate and non-adjacent rate?, are they added together to get the full grant?

Adjacent rate means that the college you attend is less than 45km from your home, non adjacent means the college you attend is more than 45km from your home, you either get one or the other

Thanks,Jesus accommodation is expensive as hell,Is there anywhere for less than €4,000 a year?

• Advertisement

Also another question about the non-adjacent rate,Is it from where my family lives(kerry) or my student accommodation(dublin)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Also another question about the non-adjacent rate,Is it from where my family lives(kerry) or my student accommodation(dublin)?

I presume you are applying as a dependent student ie your grant is based on your parents income so you would put your address as in Kerry

Thanks very much,that's a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

the grant will most certainly not even cover a quarter of what you will need should you move to Dublin to study

if lets say you are eligible for the full 100% maintenance rate of grant at the non-adjacent rate this amounts to €3,025 for the academic year which is €336 per month. to be eligible for this the family income if you are a dependent has to be under €39,875 in 2015.

now if you are eligible for the special rate of grant, that is when your family income holds an eligible social welfare payment and all together is under €22,703 well then the rate of grant would be €5,915 for the academic year which is €657 per month

these are the rates when you are over 45km from the college its lower again if you were under 45kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming you dont qualify for the special rate you need to ask your parents if the budget will work.

I think €750/mo is the minimum you should target for Dublin so if you can get the full maintenance rate(its means tested) then you parents will still need to transfer you €400 every month for 9 months at least. You can try to work but if its a busy course thats not always advisable. Work too much and you may reduce your payment (holiday weeks are exempt).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

holiday pay is only exempt up to the amount of €4500 it used to be €3,809 but it was increased in the scheme in 2016

Advertisement