Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this election be highest turnout ever

• 25-02-2011 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

I think it will.Without doubt be the highest ever,nearly half a million pissed off out of work voters,all all the people suffering from the USC.

Any know the turn out for the last election ?

Its a fact i'd like to know just to compare come saturday

I really hope people come out in force Tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I doubt turnout this time will be higher than the record 76.93% in 1969.

Unfortunately a lot of people who are on the register and who would like to vote have had to emigrate.

Comparison of general election turnouts here http://icampaigned.com/blog/2011/02/turnout-at-irish-general-elections/

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Unfortunately a lot of people who are on the register and who would like to vote have had to emigrate.

Wow 76.93%.Good point on emigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

SafeSurfer wrote: »

Comparison of general election turnouts here http://icampaigned.com/blog/2011/02/turnout-at-irish-general-elections/

Yeah very good point, I know a few people who've gone.

And of course let's not ignore the 'they're all the same' brigade. Those people who by doing nothing will somehow improve their lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Irish-election-turnout-chart.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Remember as well that even our low points for turnout reflect pretty well for a democracy of our age. We're not a low turnout country by any means. 75% is about as much as can be reasonably expected +/- 3-4%.

I'd be very impressed with 70% tomorrow and guess around 65-68% if pushed to give an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The turnout was extremely low on the Donegal islands yesterday, something like 15 of those registered out of 67 voted.

Two possible theories however coud explain the low turnout,

1. FF voters staying at home

or

2. Some of the islanders live on the mainland during the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Is there a chance disgruntled FF voters simply wont vote?? they wont vote for FF out of anger, but they sure as hell wont give it to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

df1985 wrote: »
    Is there a chance disgruntled FF voters simply wont vote?? they wont vote for FF out of anger, but they sure as hell wont give it to anyone else?
    most likely this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dename

I hope people come out in force tomorrow. It would be great to beat the record of 1969.

IMO, there should be a fine for not voting, as it's a civil duty. One should need a travel/med/other cert. to get out of it.

Good point about FF-ers -- many would rather not vote than vote against them. In this day and age, that to me is crazy; very dewy-eyed Dev era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on which home! They may just stay at their "principal place of residence".

I'm hoping for a good turnout and lots of people voting wisely (despite our only choices being the best of a bad lot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

dename wrote: »
    IMO, there should be a fine for not voting, as it's a civil duty. One should need a travel/med/other cert. to get out of it.

I think the opposite. Voting isn't so much a duty as a responsibility. If you force people to vote, many will do so without thinking through the options, and without having a considered opinion. I'd rather a lower, informed electorate, than 100% turnout, with a quarter going through the motions.

Einhard wrote: »
    I think the opposite. Voting isn't so much a duty as a responsibility. If you force people to vote, many will do so without thinking through the options, and without having a considered opinion. I'd rather a lower, informed electorate, than 100% turnout, with a quarter going through the motions.

There's much more to my beliefs than the above statement you quoted. For instance, I'm in strong agreement with Olivia O' Leary when she talks about the need to educate people from an early age through politic and philosophical thought. Furthermore, many people don't vote in general elections because they don't have confidence in their own knowledge of things. The whole thing should be reformed; it should start in school and continue to adulthood, wherein, in my belief, it should be a duty/responsibility (whatever you want to call it) to be taken seriously. Ticking a few boxes would hardly be authoritarian considering the amount of bureaucracy attached to everything else state-run.

To each their own though.

[Off topic: lack of knowledge is quite blatant when we see how Left the country tends to vote/would vote in certain referendums. Then when it comes to party politics, the majority vote conservative. No sense to it. Not enough emphasis on the political compass, too much emphasis still on civil war politics. but that's for another day!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bourkley

dave1982 wrote: »
    Wow 76.93%.Good point on emigration.
    how come i have been registered by my partners name,have still got my voting card by own name, one with his, he has still got his voting cards for three addresses, my sis has two voting cards,as does her husband if one family can get so many votes how may times is it happening in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bourkley

Einhard wrote: »
    i would urge people to use their votes even if they choose to spoil them delibretly,most important thing they can do

bourkley wrote: »
    how come i have been registered by my partners name,have still got my voting card by own name, one with his, he has still got his voting cards for three addresses, my sis has two voting cards,as does her husband if one family can get so many votes how may times is it happening in the country

Just an instant reaction to this: is your family FF? If so, there could lie your answer!

PS similar situation:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

The Electoral Register is in such a mess that even if everyone did turnout, it would only look like a 80(ish) percent turnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

The turnout was extremely low on the Donegal islands yesterday, something like 15 of those registered out of 67 voted.

Two possible theories however coud explain the low turnout,

or

2. Some of the islanders live on the mainland during the winter
    df1985 wrote: »

The islanders that live on the mainland is the most logical reason for low turnout on the island but i did hear of some who went back to the islands just to have there vote.

FF staying at home due to the i cant vote FF and will not Vote anyone else. I know a good portion of voters that are in this group. Throw in the disaster that is the register and the people that have left the country died or not in the area they are registered. I do not see the vote being anywhere about 68% and that if the weather stays nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is there a minimum turnout requirement for a valid election? Like if enough people couldn't be bothered voting for anyone, could there be an invalid election? Unlikely, I know, but I'm just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think we'll get circa 70% turnout, it'll be pretty high. Bad news for FF.

It's certainly the most discussed, hotly contested election in my life time. I've voted in every single general election, referendum, local election since turning 18, and I've never seen such intense interest from my peers and even the media coverage seems more intense.

I'm just looking forward to it being over and hopefully making the slow recovery and getting back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I live across the street from a Polling Station it Dublin South Central and its busier than I've ever seen it before at this pre work time. Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I wonder, will the Friday election make a difference?
    I remember the last GE, it was on a Thursday during exams for some college students.
    Loads of people couldn't make it home to vote and hadn't change their address on the register because they moved house every year.
    I went home to Meath to vote, in between exams but people living further away than an hour or so from college couldn't make it.
    Then there were all people living in Dublin/other cities that hadn't moved their vote to where they live and work (for some reason).

So yeah, Friday election means people can go home to vote. I also think that more people could be on the register because of previously disinterested voters that took an interest during the "Lisbon, we'll do this as many times as it takes" referendums (referenda?) or who took an interest during the last few years due to the recession and all the "FF HAET!" drama.

I'll be interested in the total turnout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

A few people are away as it is midterm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think this election is going to have one of the lowest turnouts ever. I think people are fed up with politicians in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I hope there's a high turnout, but I'm not holding my breath!

The turnout was 57.4% in the Donegal Southwest bye-election, which shocked me, as I expected a much higher turnout. (FF supporters not voting?)
    I hope the turnout today is higher than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

One question - are non nationals (who can vote in local elections) on the register? Or is there a separate register for local elections?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

GSF wrote: »
    One question - are non nationals (who can vote in local elections) on the register? Or is there a separate register for local elections?

Voting for this election is open to Irish citizens, and Britsh citizens resident in Ireland (which I don't agree with)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

Voting for this election is open to Irish citizens, and Britsh citizens resident in Ireland (which I don't agree with)
    Yes I know that but my point is IF the register contains all those who can vote in ANY election (local, European, National or Presidential) the turnout as a % for national elections wont be as high a % if there are many who can only vote at local elections on the register.

My local station was at 45% there at half five versus 20% in 07 according to the staff there. Looks good for a nice big turnout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

nesf wrote: »
    My local station was at 45% there at half five versus 20% in 07 according to the staff there. Looks good for a nice big turnout.

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I hope there's a high turnout, but I'm not holding my breath!

The turnout was 57.4% in the Donegal Southwest bye-election, which shocked me, as I expected a much higher turnout. (FF supporters not voting?)
    I hope the turnout today is higher than that!

I dont think too much can be read into the Donegal SW bye election as it came just a few days after the Greens called for a General Election and people knew that it was something they would have to repeat in the near future.Anyway I think the turnout in this election will be far higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

GSF wrote: »
    Yes I know that but my point is IF the register contains all those who can vote in ANY election (local, European, National or Presidential) the turnout as a % for national elections wont be as high a % if there are many who can only vote at local elections on the register.

All the voters are on the register, but then there's a letter code by your name that shows what you can vote for. I think it's P for Irish citizens, haven't checked in a while. But anyway, the percentage given is a percentage of the electorate for this specific elections. It only includes Irish and UK citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

The Electoral Register is in such a mess that even if everyone did turnout, it would only look like a 80(ish) percent turnout.

Agree with this Both me and my wife received 3 Polling Cards. We got 2 for the last election. I went to the council to rectify the situation, which is why we now have 3 :eek:

Where?

Cork South Central, urban centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

has any figures been released on how the turnout is faring so far??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

has any figures been released on how the turnout is faring so far??

According to RTE, 40-45% at 5.30pm. Higher than the 2007 GE.

• Advertisement

Noreen1 wrote: »
    According to RTE, 40-45% at 5.30pm. Higher than the 2007 GE.

thats not bad considering a lot of people drop in after work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Cork South Central, urban centre.

I concur, it is my constituency too and I was told by the staff that the turnout was extremely brisk and I voted at lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

ger664 wrote: »
    Agree with this Both me and my wife received 3 Polling Cards. We got 2 for the last election. I went to the council to rectify the situation, which is why we now have 3 :eek:

Got 2 cards, 76 between both numbers on them so could have voted twice unfortunately I only got back late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In my constituency its very, very busy right now. I voted at 9pm and was told that it was at 66% at 8pm which means it will be well over 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭halkar

Same in my constituency. We went at 8 to vote. There were voters coming from every angle. Last election there were hardly few around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Not that busy where I voted in D4 land at about 8:30pm, just the usual steady stream of people.
    From the moment I walked in to when I left all I heard was people giving out about the register, some were not on it, some were marked down for a different polling station and others like me never got a polling card. The system needs serious reform to enhance democracy.

very busy in mine also i think was around 9.30 when i voted,car park was full you easily could of mistaken it for maybe 6p.m 0r 7. could we be looking at a new record folks????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

all these extra polling cards people are getting before elections - i wonder does this mean the electorate figures are skewed? if everyone got 2 cards but only/could only vote once then does that mean the overall electorate figure is twice what it should, in reality, be?

it was really busy at our local station - i voted in late afternoon about 4pm. it was quite busy - far more than i'd ever seen. i was passed it again at 6 when walking the dogs and with the after work voters starting to come in, it was even busier. so im hoping it was a great turn out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Probably wont be the highest in official terms. But in real terms its probably the highest ever.
    If it was possible to work out exactly how many registered voters were in the country today versus the actual turnout but thats simply not possible,

I would hazard a guess that if the official turnout is 70%, then the real turn out is roughly 85%.

i know we all have our political preferences but imo it makes it a lot easier to accept whoever gets in even if its not the party you want in, if theres a high turnout. it really is then the will of the people at that time no excuses,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Remember as well that even our low points for turnout reflect pretty well for a democracy of our age. We're not a low turnout country by any means. 75% is about as much as can be reasonably expected +/- 3-4%.

I'd be very impressed with 70% tomorrow and guess around 65-68% if pushed to give an answer.

How is 70% a good thing? Where is the other 30%?

Kahless wrote: »
    Is there a minimum turnout requirement for a valid election? Like if enough people couldn't be bothered voting for anyone, could there be an invalid election? Unlikely, I know, but I'm just curious.

No I don't think so though one of the reason Nice Treaty was put to a 2nd referendum was low turnout (45% I think)

Again, how is that a good turnout? In comparisson with 2007 yeah it's deadly but how is it a good turnout?

Is there a demographic breakdown of who turns out to vote? I saw mainly old people at the polling station all day conforming to the myth that they're a massive voting block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How is 70% a good thing? Where is the other 30%?

Other than countries that compel people to vote there's few who get a better turnout than that. John McCain got about 10 million more votes than either candidate 8 years previously, in 2000 the US presidential election had about a 50% turnout, in the home of democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

other countries not being as impressive doesnt excuse us,
    30% not showing up is disappointing. Firstly I dont think emigration counts for as much as people say,alot of them were foreign,not to mention the fact that even in boom times there was plenty of registered but not here.
    Secondly, there was no excuses in terms of preparing yourself to vote, i.e. getting registered, changing your address if needs be.

All that said, it shouldnt matter what % it is, because its the people that care that went out and voted, if they didnt care you shouldnt be worrying about them,
    So in actual fact, no matter what % turn up, you are still seeing the will of the people , even it was 50%, you could argue that that 50% was the will of the people ,and the other 50% was the will of the people that dont care (if you get me).

The only reason I think its disappointing is because it highlights that 30% dont care that much ,thats still alot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

zig wrote: »
    The only reason I think its disappointing is because it highlights that 30% don't care that much ,thats still alot of people.

There's never been a 100% turnout for elections in most countries, but 30% here not wanting to is sad. It kinda says something when a significant proportion of the population is not bothered to vote; either they just don't give a crap, or what's on offer just isn't what they believe represents them. Either that, or they believe the whole system is not working, and therefore not worth the effort of voting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bourkley wrote: »
    Well your family should start using the RFA1 forms. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement