Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Sommerville on Vincent Browne tonight....

• 03-02-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Paul Sommervillle is going to be on Vincent Browne tonight - should be very interesting, he's been spot on all along and I surprised that the like of Fine Gael didn't go out of their way to get him given his excellent economics analysis.

Roy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

onekeano wrote: »
    Paul Sommervillle is going to be on Vincent Browne tonight - should be very interesting, he's been spot on all along and I surprised that the like of Fine Gael didn't go out of their way to get him given his excellent economics analysis.

Roy

Thanks, I will be turning in to watch.

Paul already has my number one vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Sommerville is fantastic and very passionate about the country. He isn't well known though, and apart from VB and the odd radio interview I rarely hear or see him. I have a lot of time for him though - shame he isn't in my constituency as I'd much rather give him my #1 vote than the candidates I have to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

He's canvassing this weekend, in Rathmines on Saturday if anyone would like to help out.

Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Looks like Constantin is about to lose the rag with Anton here. He is ploughing a lone furrow on here in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Good stuff this. All of them are far superior to the tripe that was on Prime Time earlier.

Whoever gets into Government should bring Paul Sommerville into the Cabinet to help sort things out.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    Good stuff this. All of them are far superior to the tripe that was on Prime Time earlier.

Whoever gets into Government should bring Paul Sommerville into the Cabinet to help sort things out.

+1 I would have loved to see Constantine run as well........ Anton sounds like a slightly upmarket Martin Mansergh......

Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He's canvassing this weekend, in Rathmines on Saturday if anyone would like to help out.

Roy

Down at the Swan Centre by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hungrystudent

Roy
    He's an idiot.The 'suicide bomber' strategy he keeps going on about is pathetic ie "restructure our debt or I'll blow us all up".Trouble with clowns like this is they think because they are expert economists this makes them expert politicians as well.The russian beside him seems to not even understand how the EU works.Sommerville should stick to what he knows, give us the numbers, tell us what they mean..possible scenarios ect. then piss off and let the people with the proper expertise and experience decide what to do about it.
    Anyone that votes for single issue, celebrity candidates might as well vote FF.( George Lee anyone?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Am I the only one who found Sommerville childish? Anytime Murphy disagreed with him on a point he just huffed and puffed and made silly 'argument from authority' style remarks. Perhaps being on TV got to him or something? He looked out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

He's an idiot.The 'suicide bomber' strategy he keeps going on about is pathetic ie "restructure our debt or I'll blow us all up".Trouble with clowns like this is they think because they are expert economists this makes them expert politicians as well.The russian beside him seems to not even understand how the EU works.Sommerville should stick to what he knows, give us the numbers, tell us what they mean..possible scenarios ect. then piss off and let the people with the proper expertise and experience decide what to do about it.
    Anyone that votes for single issue, celebrity candidates might as well vote FF.( George Lee anyone?)

Why on earth would this country want professionals with qualifications sitting in Dail Eireann, the more teachers, publicans, auctioneers & farmers the better i say!

i'd love to know who you consider the people with proper expertiese? the civil servants in the dept of finance...Brian Lenihan...Cowan????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

people with the proper expertise and experience decide

you mean people like kenny and joan burton no doubt !

Down at the Swan Centre by any chance?

Yes - that's my understanding alright SC, coming along?

Roy

expert politicians as well.The russian beside him seems to not even understand how the EU works.

Expert politicians..... the ultimate oxymoron. As for Constantine......I think he has demonstated time after time that he understands only too well how Europe doesn't work!! That's why IBM snapped him us as Head of Macroeconomics....

Roy

danbohan wrote: »
    people with the proper expertise and experience decide

you mean people like kenny and joan burton no doubt !
    You may not have heard but there will be a GE soon so it is for you to decide who you think is best suited for the job.What I am saying is relying on the likes of Sommerville to go in to bat for you is the political equivalent of 'taking a knife to a gun fight'..simple as that really.

Expert politicians..... the ultimate oxymoron. As for Constantine......I think he has demonstated time after time that he understands only too well how Europe doesn't work!! That's why IBM snapped him us as Head of Macroeconomics....

Roy
    My whole point, thanks.Macroeconomics is not politics.

You may not have heard but there will be a GE soon so it is for you to decide who you think is best suited for the job.What I am saying is relying on the likes of Sommerville to go in to bat for you is the political equivalent of 'taking a knife to a gun fight'..simple as that really.

Oh right - so we'd be much better off with the likes of BIFFO, Lenihan, Patrick Honohan and chief executive of the National Treasury Management Agency John Corrigan cos they did such a great job the last time ?

Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

hahaha - this is the most laughable post I have ever read on boards !
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that the likes of Brian lenihan ( Barrister ) or let me see Eamon Ryan ( a bicycle shop owner ) or maybe Enda Kenny - a school teacher ( although he after 30 odd years its unfair to still brand him such ) would be like bringing some sort of armoury better than a piece of wet celery ?

I wouldn't send Sommerville in to negotiate for anything, he seemed clearly rattled by Murphy, snorting and retorting with childish comebacks, slouching in his chair, not adding anything useful to the discussion. Constantin was light years ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wouldn't send Sommerville in to negotiate for anything, he seemed clearly rattled by Murphy, snorting and retorting with childish comebacks, slouching in his chair, not adding anything useful to the discussion. Constantin was light years ahead of him.

I'll admit he sometimes comes across as petulant and a little childish but he is passionate and accomplished in his previous roles.

These are two qualities I would want in someone in government. Its also something I cannot say about 160 of the elected tools we have now!

In my opinion his tv persona means he's honest and raw and not a schooled media performer like the other TD slime.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    hahaha - this is the most laughable post I have ever read on boards !
    Are you seriously trying to suggest that the likes of Brian lenihan ( Barrister ) or let me see Eamon Ryan ( a bicycle shop owner ) or maybe Enda Kenny - a school teacher ( although he after 30 odd years its unfair to still brand him such ) would be like bringing some sort of armoury better than a piece of wet celery ?
    I never mentioned any of those people.
    What's laughable is that the culture of celebrity is so entrenched in Ireland, that none of you seem able to show me the error of my ways by defending what the talking head has to say..or are you all just shinners who know nothing but will support anyone that can spell 'default'?
    Enlighten me..why is Sommerville right to suggest the ability to bring down the euro is our ace in the hole? (please try to remember we are in the euro and try to imagine what punt nua would be worth))

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    he is passionate and accomplished in his previous roles.

These are two qualities I would want in someone in government. Its also something I cannot say about 160 of the elected tools we have now!QUOTE]

+1 couldn't agree more.............

Ior are you all just shinners who know nothing but will support anyone that can spell 'default'?
    Enlighten me..why is Sommerville right to suggest the
    :p:p:p:p:p nice one.....

Petulant! That is the word. However, Constantin is passionate without being petulant. Is he a schooled media performer? Is he slime? Sorry, but I am not convinced by that argument. Sommerville just came across as ignorant and arrogant. I wouldn't vote for him. Constantin, on the other hand... if only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I was unimpressed by Sommerville. His refrain of << but the markets say otherwise >> and so QED wore increasingly thin.

The markets can and have been proved wrong. Why were funds still being pumped into Irish financials when the bubble was already bursting?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I was unimpressed by Sommerville. His refrain of << but the markets say otherwise >> and so QED wore increasingly thin.

The markets can and have been proved wrong. Where were funds still being pumped into Irish financials when the bubble was already bursting?

Indeed, his heroes Stiglitz, et al would be the first to tell you that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sommerville would be a far more valuable asset than Andrews Gormley or Creighton in the next Dáil and for that treason I would give him a higher preference than those three spacewasters....even if I did not always agree with him.

He understands game theory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

i sky plussed this and watched it again last night, Browne's constant interupting was very annoying, i found Constantin, Mathews and Somerville to be excellant, i might agree with some comments that Somerville was a bit petulant but he just strikes me as a straight talker with little time for nonsense (a lot of which was being spouted by Antoin)

that Constantine guy was highly impressive pity he's not running also.
    I hope that Somerville and Mathews both get elected as they are serious intellects in an area where this country lacks. Somerville needs a bit more media training i'd say expecially if he wants to win votes on doorsteps,

i actually found it heartening to watch a show where we have smart people who are giving up highly paid jobs to try get into govt and help get us out of this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

SafeSurfer wrote: »

The markets can and have been proved wrong. Why were funds still being pumped into Irish financials when the bubble was already bursting?

i like sommerville ( most of the time ) but the markets are often wrong , all the talk before christmas was that the euro would be gone by the end of 2011 and spain and portugal would both need bailouts , portugal and spain had no problem selling bonds in january and the euro has been on a huge rally this past seven weeks

btw , i thought professor murphy more than held his own the other night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I dont think Paul Sommerville is an idiot. Was his father not Dr.Michael Sommerville of NTMA fame. The man who refused to invest in Anglo Irish cos he knew it was bollixed. He is more pationate than any politician and I have seen him almost moved to tears as he witnessed the erosion of our once healthy economy. Who are the "people with expertise" to whom you refer, I was under the impression that P.Sommerville and his ilk are those "people" and that they have continually been ignored. A celebrity he most certainly is not and the single biggest issue we must deal with is the countries finances.

Advertisement